none
Missing usbser.sys Windows 7 Embedded

Question

• I'm using 64-bit Windows Embedded Standard 7 and am trying to install a USB driver for a device using a manufacturer-provided INF file.  The INF file references usbser.sys, which is not found in the C:/Windows/System32/drivers folder.  This driver has been installed on Windows XP and 32-bit Windows 7, but must be installed on 64-bit Windows Embedded Standard 7.

Is there an alternate .sys file that replicates the functionality from usbser.sys, or is there is a way to have usbser.sys installed for Windows 7 Embedded?  Or, another way around installing a driver from an INF file that references usbser.sys?

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:55 PM

Answers

• IBW is a nice quick and dirty solution to get an OS on the board, but ICE is the real development tool and process that you should use.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:04 PM

All replies

• If you do a search the usbser.sys file is found in the Compaq USB Modem Driver package.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:14 PM
  • I found that answer from Mr Google, but I haven't been able to actually find a downloadable version of the driver.  Do you have a lead?

Thanks,

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Downloadable version? Are you using ICE to build the WES7 image?

-Sean

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Downloadable version? Are you using ICE to build the WES7 image?

-Sean

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:10 PM
  • I am using install CD's to build the image - boot from CD and choose features/drivers to install.  Not sure if that counts as an ICE.  I didn't see anywhere in there to enable the Compaq USB Modem Driver, and I enabled all networking/printing features to see if one of them would help.  Nothing so far.

If that driver isn't included on the CD's, is there no way to download it externally?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Ok that is clearer. You are installing the OS from the IBW disk. Image Configuration Editor (ICE) is the tool that provides a little more control. ICE allows you to build a custom IBW disk from an answer file. There are a couple of WES7 introductions articles here: http://www.annabooks.com/Articles.html. My book details the process as well: http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

The driver is in a package, and there should be a point in the IBW wizard that lets you select the package. It has been awhile since I only use ICE.

-Sean

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Seems he need the complete guidance.

Windows Embedded Standard 7 Packages > Driver > Modem > Compaq USB Modem Driver

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:24 PM
  • We found a way around this by reverting to 32-bit WES7 and copying a usbser.sys file from another computer running 32-bit regular Windows 7.  Not ideal, but good enough for now. 

If anyone else is dealing with this, we had to install the driver with usbser.sys in the same folder as the INF file for some reason - having it in C:/Windows/System32/drivers didn't work.  Also, for me, serenum.sys was copied from the drivers folder to the folder with the INF file (it was referenced in the INF file).

I'm giving up on the 64-bit installation for now, but would prefer to make it work if anyone has any other ideas about how to get usbser.sys installed.  For this 32-bit installation, I had included every available package when setting up the installation (excluding a few that conflicted with each other), so I would think if the driver was available on the disks, it would have been included.

I still haven't really solved the problem, but I appreciate your help.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Did you read the post?
    Add the Package Sean mentioned. The Package i gave you the complete path for.

Resolve Dependencies (also in IBW) and you're done.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Sorry, I didn't realize you were giving a path for the installation folder - that blended with your signature line in my eyes.

However, when I get to the page in the IBW that lets me modify what features and drivers installed, there is nothing there resembling where you point me.  The root directory of packages is named 'Feature Packages'.  There is also a 'Language Packages', but no 'Windows Embedded Standard 7 Packages' directory tree.  Within the 'Feature Packages', I don't see any 'Driver' or 'Modem' folders, so I opened all of the sub-folders anyway and don't see anything from Compaq.

On the driver side (it gives me separate dialogs for updating feature installations and driver installations), all of the possible drivers that it knows about appear to be installed.  Also, none of them are related to a Compaq USB Modem.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:11 PM
  • IBW is a nice quick and dirty solution to get an OS on the board, but ICE is the real development tool and process that you should use.

-Sean

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Oh, i excuss if in IBW the drivers tab is hidden. I never used IBW more than once while my very first test.
    You really shoud use ICE.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Ah, I see now.  I didn't realize that IBW was so limited.  I just ran the ICE and see the Compaq driver, now.  I'm not going to reinstall at this point, but I'll have faith that this would fix the problem.  Thank you both for your help. 
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:14 PM