none
a specified communication resource(port) is already in use by another application

General discussion

• I have a WP8 project in WP8 emulator, then I run it using visual studio 2012, and launch the WVGA emulator; But pop up a message "a specified communication resource(port) is already in use by another application", does anybody know what's cause this problem ?

Friday, August 03, 2012 9:41 AM

All replies

• Wp8 emulator? So cool, does it used for windows mobile 6.5?

Please not forget mark your answer, and unmark your disagreed point.

Monday, August 06, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome here.

According to your description, you issue has not a solid answer; I think it should be better if we change the thread type to General Discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and active participation in the MSDN Forum.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:38 AM
  • I have the exact same problem.

When Visual Studio is trying to connect to the emulator to run a Windows Phone app in debug it displays the error message: "A specified communication resource (port) is already in use by another application.". The emulator is launched but Visual Studio isn't able to connect to it.

Anyone found a solution yet?
    Running Win8x64 with only Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows Phone installed.

*Edit*

Solved it.

Had to first deploy the app on the emulator before debug mode can be ran.
    "Right click on project > Deploy"
    After this it ran in debug mode and worked fine for me.

• Edited by lucasvdh4029 Friday, November 02, 2012 9:39 AM Solved
    Friday, November 02, 2012 8:52 AM

When Visual Studio is trying to connect to the emulator to run a Windows Phone app in debug it displays the error message: "A specified communication resource (port) is already in use by another application.". The emulator is launched but Visual Studio isn't able to connect to it.

Running Win8x64 with only Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows Phone installed.

*Edit*

Solved it.

Doesn't work for me...
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:22 AM

*Edit*

Solved it.

Worked like a Charm.. no pun intended, ;)  Thanks
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Had to first deploy the app on the emulator before debug mode can be ran.

This Works for me. Thanks

Friday, December 21, 2012 6:26 AM
  • I had this issue as well and the "deploy" didn't help. What I did to fix this was I changed by compile to target "Any CPU" and it started working. I had it targeted for "Windows Phone" previously to get around an issue with Blend and its inability to display the viewer when compiling for "Arm or 64bit" CPU's.... Lot's of little gotcha's when working between those two programs.
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:36 PM
  • I had the same problem just now. What I did to solve it was the following:

Click on the dropdown list with Any CPU or 64x etc. and select the configuration manager. Here you see a listview with a few options. Check the build and deploy checkboxes.

That did the trick for me.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Elegentin Xie,

This issue sound more like a bug in the VS 2012 IDE.  I had this same issue because I forgot to re-enable the Debug and Deploy options under my solution.  The error is misleading and at the minimum should let you know that you need to deploy the project before it can debugged. 

- Rashad Rivera www.omegusprime.com

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:51 AM
  • Check your Configuration Manager settings. I was able to reproduce this at will by alternately setting Config Mgr to Release Build (showed error when attempting to debug without deploy) versus Debug build (no issue, deploys after build)
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Project GUID conflict

Yet another possible reason for this error is the Project GUID conflict. If the project / app GUID of the application you are trying to debug is the same as the GUID of another application installed from the store (can be the same application, and doesn't matter if you already uninstalled it), this error may occur.

I was testing in-app purchases for my app for which purpose I had to change the app GUID in WMAppManifest.xml and AssemblyInfo.cs to the GUID from the Windows Phone Store. Having the app installed from the store itself (for testing purposes) previously, I uninstalled it for the purpose of debugging. Yet that didn't help and anytime I changed my app GUID to match Windows Store App Guid I got this error. Changing the GUID back to the original project's GUID caused the error to go away and debugging was working well again.

VS2013 Ultimate Update 2, testing with 8.1 Device.

Monday, June 09, 2014 1:29 PM