none
Office 10 \ winword.exe runtime error

Question

• I have downloaded the service pack 3 but I'm still encountering the problem when I try to open MS Word.  MS Excel, MS Outlook , MS Powerpoint & MS Viso all work fine. Any time I try to open MS word I receice a Box vissual c++ runtime library. This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusaul way. Microsoft Office\Office 10\Winword.exe.
    Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:28 PM

Answers

•  

I found a solution that worked for me!  You can try it if you'd like...

First, just try start and then run and then type in winword /a.  That should make Word run nornally.  Then close out of word.

What's going on here is that word goes to the registry to look for what to do when word starts.  When you hit /a it just starts word period.  However when you run winword without the /a other things may try to start as well.

When it is just Word everything is fine however, some program you loaded messed up the system.  Word trys to start that junk as well.  The registry tells Word to run various "add-on's" some of which are not working (my issue was some .pdf maker).  Thus you get the error telling you that word cannot run such and such - runtime error.

The solution - eliminate the add-on's in the registry under local machine.  You can also try current user if Word still acts strange.  It took me a few days to figure it out and that's why I'm posting here.  It worked for me under cleaning out the add ons under local machine, what a relief! 

Here it is:

Go to run

Type:  regedit and hit enter

That gets you to the registry.

Click on HKey_Local Machine

Click on software

Click on Microsoft

Click on Office or on Word if you do not have office as a selection

If you had office click on that and then click on word.   

You should see Add on's or Add in's as an addtional folder under word.

Click on that and delete it.  DON'T DELETE THE WORD FOLDER! JUST THE ADD-ON'S.

Go to run - type winword - it should start up now without problems.

If that doesn't work do the same thing under current user to see if any add-on's are listed there. 

Best of luck!!

Alan
    Saturday, August 04, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Hello

I have been having exactly the same problem and needed to urgently use my powerpoint presentation and modify it ASAP I spent all day trying to sort the problem however when I uninstalled the 2003 powerpptwiz etc & powerpoint immediately worked.

No more downloads for me!

Have a great day I am excited now I can finish my presentation although I have wasted many hours searching for a solution.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:28 AM

All replies

• Here's a list of support articles that I ran across regarding runtime issues with Word that might be helpful while the support engineer looks into your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qu=Office+10+%5C+winword.exe+runtime+error

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Friday, April 21, 2006 8:40 PM
  • Per the support engineer:

Would you please ask our ISV to provide us the detail error information?

For example, the information showed in the Box visual c++ runtime library.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, April 24, 2006 8:01 PM
  • Hello

I have been having exactly the same problem and needed to urgently use my powerpoint presentation and modify it ASAP I spent all day trying to sort the problem however when I uninstalled the 2003 powerpptwiz etc & powerpoint immediately worked.

No more downloads for me!

Have a great day I am excited now I can finish my presentation although I have wasted many hours searching for a solution.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:28 AM
  • Getting the following error reported when I try and open Word docs.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

Runtime error Program C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Windword.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.

I can use Word on the same machine from another user account, but not from mine. Any clues as to how to fix this?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:19 AM
  • Is there a solution to this?

I have unistalled Office XP twice and still the same issue.

Please, advise.

Monday, September 11, 2006 4:15 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem. Occured after use of PCMover to put apps from a decommissioned notebook on a new desktop. Most apps moved OK, but not Office 2002. Opening Word or Excel gives the message "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual manner." It id's the program as msiexec.exe in c:\windows\system32. I've tried uninstalling Office in Add/Remove Programs and I get "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode (I wasn't) or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed." I downloaded and installed Windows Installer, but with no different result. I was able to remove Office 2002 with Windows Installer Cleanup. but still could not reinstall Office from the CD; i.e. same result "The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." The PCMover people suggested unistalling and reinstalling .Net, but they admitted that it was a shot in the dark and I don't want to do that without some corroboration (and guidance as to how).

Does anyone know what is going on and, more important, what to do about it?

Thanks for any help, Ron Hicks, Arlington Virginia USA

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:45 PM
  • I'm right there with you... except I first noticed the problem with Norton.  Since then with Office.

You described the situation very well.  I can't even install all the windows security updates without this error.

Help someone who may have the solution!!

Friday, January 12, 2007 8:00 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem and getting the same runtime error, however, with only 1 of my 2 accounts that are set up in Windows XP.  This is a brand new computer (today).  I can access Internet Explorer from one of the accounts, but get the run time error when I try to use the other account.  I have tried setting up the 2nd account as computer administrator, but that does not work either.
    Friday, January 12, 2007 7:10 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as well after using PCMover - unable to install any Office updates, printer drivers, or other software.  Has anyone come across a solution?
    Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:32 AM
  • Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with Office 2003 and principally with Word 2003.

I noticed the problem only occured after I typed a few words on a document, or when I chosen to open an existing one.  So, what's happening after typing a few characters  ???  Spelling check ... indeed.

The default language of my office installation was in Dutch (Netherland).  I only changed the default language of word, and no problem anymore ... the only difficulty is that I cannot check spelling for a document in Dutch ...

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:10 PM
  • MS Visual C ++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Winword.EXE

If you see the above error while opening word then try the following steps & as this problem may occur if the Works in Word Suite Add-in is installed on your computer.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Click Microsoft Works in Word Suite Add-in, and then click Change/Remove.
    4. Click OK to confirm the removal.
    5. Click Close.
    6. Restart your computer.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 9:38 PM
  •  

I found a solution that worked for me!  You can try it if you'd like...

First, just try start and then run and then type in winword /a.  That should make Word run nornally.  Then close out of word.

What's going on here is that word goes to the registry to look for what to do when word starts.  When you hit /a it just starts word period.  However when you run winword without the /a other things may try to start as well.

When it is just Word everything is fine however, some program you loaded messed up the system.  Word trys to start that junk as well.  The registry tells Word to run various "add-on's" some of which are not working (my issue was some .pdf maker).  Thus you get the error telling you that word cannot run such and such - runtime error.

The solution - eliminate the add-on's in the registry under local machine.  You can also try current user if Word still acts strange.  It took me a few days to figure it out and that's why I'm posting here.  It worked for me under cleaning out the add ons under local machine, what a relief! 

Here it is:

Go to run

Type:  regedit and hit enter

That gets you to the registry.

Click on HKey_Local Machine

Click on software

Click on Microsoft

Click on Office or on Word if you do not have office as a selection

If you had office click on that and then click on word.   

You should see Add on's or Add in's as an addtional folder under word.

Click on that and delete it.  DON'T DELETE THE WORD FOLDER! JUST THE ADD-ON'S.

Go to run - type winword - it should start up now without problems.

If that doesn't work do the same thing under current user to see if any add-on's are listed there. 

Best of luck!!

Alan
    Saturday, August 04, 2007 4:32 PM
  •  

Hey Guys I would again suggest the same steps...

Thats the best and the only solution for this problem.

Well this time I would be giving you guys direct links to the microsoft knowledge base articles as well as the steps and I am sure that it will help you out.

A. Try these steps

1.       Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.       Double-click Add or Remove Programs.

3.       Click Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Microsoft Word, and then click Change/Remove.

4.       Click OK to confirm the removal.

5.       Click Close.

6.       Now open word again, it would be working fine.

B. If the above given steps doenst help then try this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555220 

Do let me know if there are still any issues.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 12:12 AM
  • Thank Alan

It's very helpful

THANK YOU ~
    Friday, September 07, 2007 1:24 AM
  • my word only comes up with that error when i close out the document...i tried to delete the add in but it recreates itself in the registry. the only add on there is a pdf and thats it.

Friday, September 14, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Thanks Alan! That did the trick - I tried everything else before remembering that I loaded a newer version of Adobe PDF maker and then removed the old version - turns out that Word was running with the old version as an add-on and for reason the newer installation didn't change the registry to reflect the change - as soon as I deleated the add-on, we're back up and running. Awesome..

Thanks again...
    Monday, September 17, 2007 3:42 PM
  • if youve recently installed adobe writer/professional etc try this:

find normal.dot, and delete it.

c:\documents and settings\[username]\windows\templates\

reopen winword, if promted to launch in safe mode, click no.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:09 PM
  • if youve recently installed adobe writer/professional etc try this:

find normal.dot, and delete it.

c:\documents and settings\[username]\windows\templates\

reopen winword, if promted to launch in safe mode, click no.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Thanks Alan, your solution solved my problem toot sweet! Thanks again
    Friday, October 12, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Alan:

As a none teckie I struggled with this problem, in 5 minutes after reading your solution and applying it the problem was solved. Thanks buddy, if I ever see you at my Pub the beers on me.

Thanks a million

Roland

Friday, October 19, 2007 7:07 PM
  • Did you ever find what needs to be done to rectify this problem. I am having the same thing happen whenever I try to print some thing from Word.

Monday, November 05, 2007 1:24 PM
  •  

Thanks alot Alan! I've been searching for a good answer for weeks, your solution worked!
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:34 PM
  • im having the same problem with my computer, but i only have microsoft works. i don't know where it comes from....anybody got an idea?????(p.s can i have a soloution other than remove works.......)
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:17 PM
  • This is the only thing that worked for me!!
    I tried many other fixes, but nothing seemed to work. The earlier posts about add/remove and removing addins only got me another error message--can't remember it, but something about an error in uninstalling. My runtime error occurred when I tried to save documents in Word... Word would recover them, but if I tried to open or save them from the auto-recovery side panel, I got the error message again. The winword /a command finally allowed me to save two very important documents, and now that I've deleted the add-ins from the registry, Word seems to be fine. Some sites and boards had mentioned checking your registry, but I didn't know how to do that... This guy saved me from throwing my laptop out the window! Thanks!
    Monday, April 14, 2008 8:10 AM
  • Running Word over a PCanywhere link gave me the MS Visual C ++ Runtime Library Runtime Error

removed Microsoft Works in Word Suite Add-in as above  worked great.

Thanks for the info. Top Man

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:20 PM
  • I am in the same boat. Is there a fix??

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:02 PM
  •  

Thanks a million Alan! You saved my day.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Thank you! Your "Runtine Error" solution worked the problem.  Your suggestion / fix was simple and to the point , problem solved, it  does not get any easier than this. FM 

Saturday, June 14, 2008 7:06 AM
  • Since I don't have administrator rights on my work laptop, I removed my Normal.dot file from the Templates folder and the problem went away.

I did a search for Normal.dot on my C drive and toasted it. 

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:51 PM
  • BIG Thank...
    It is a perfect answer for me. I fixed my Ecxel problem too with similar steps.
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 3:34 PM
  • I followed the instructions above. I open word and then go to open a document and it just spins and says program not responding.  Result I can not open existing documents.  Only way to exit is to control alt delete and go to task manager and end the winword.exe program and it exits normally.
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Alan:

Thanks - it worked perfectly.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:56 PM
  • thankyou so much!

you saved my sanity

Monday, November 03, 2008 5:31 AM
  • Yes, thats works. Thanks Man
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Thanks,
    It appears to have worked......
    Thanks again and again and, well you get the idea..........................

Larry
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Alan,
    I just can't thank you enough for posting this fix. I would have never though of going into the registry to delete the Add on's folder. My problem was created when I closed MS Word in the middle of creating a .pdf file. Once again THANKS you are my HERO.
    Rick

Monday, November 09, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Alen - Thank you for your post. My problem with office XP pro (winword.exe) was resolved quickly by your post.

It worked perfect for me. Thanks again.
    IT Support
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Worked perfectly.  No trouble so far.  Thanks for your input.
    Monday, June 14, 2010 1:31 AM
  • OMG that worked excellent! Thank you!
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Thanks Alan, that did the trick !! Still helpful 3 years after ;-)
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Alan,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!   I had the same problem and your directions were PERFECT!  I hope you have a great day!

Lori

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Worked perfectly thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, December 26, 2011 12:51 AM
  • WOW! The above instructions worked for me. I also see thwe problem. I had an Apple add-on to my microsoft office and an antivirus add-on and 2 more also. I did not really intend to have those tied into microsoft office.

Thank you Alan.

• Edited by jsureemee Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:51 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:50 AM
  • It worked.. Thanks, ur awsome =]
    Monday, June 04, 2012 9:21 PM