Error Msg - "multiple definitions with identical signatures"

Question

• I recently had to recover a hard drive. I was able to get an earlier draft of my program and rewrite most of what I'd lost, but meanwhile had to wipe the drive, load a newer version of XP, etc. I've gotten everything back except now I get this one last error msg and I can't find the source. This wasn't happening earlier when the very same language was running:

"Private Sub InitializeComponent() has multiple definitions with identical signatures."

This comes up in the designer view of a second form I call from a button click on form1.

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:09 PM

Answers

• I suspect that you are running on VB 2005. If that is the case, check your .designer file. I'm willing to bet that you have legacy converted .Net 1.x code with the old inline "don't touch this section" area of code which contains a InitializeComponent and the new partial .Designer file which also includes an InitializeComponent section.

Jim Wooley

Monday, March 13, 2006 7:22 PM

All replies

• I suspect that you are running on VB 2005. If that is the case, check your .designer file. I'm willing to bet that you have legacy converted .Net 1.x code with the old inline "don't touch this section" area of code which contains a InitializeComponent and the new partial .Designer file which also includes an InitializeComponent section.

Jim Wooley

Monday, March 13, 2006 7:22 PM
  • Thanks Jim. You are right I just bought VB05 and wrote the program in Express. I'll check it out.
    Monday, March 13, 2006 9:17 PM
  • If that is the case, what would I do to repair that?
    Monday, March 13, 2006 9:19 PM
  • Did you find multiple InitializeComponent methods in the <Form>.vb and <Form>.Designer.vb files?  (Note that you won't see the <Form>.Designer.vb file unless you click on the "Show All Files" button in the solution explorer.
    Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:58 AM
  • Yes... I didn't know which one was duplicative, so after trying a few things, I rebuilt the program in VB05, but I would have thought there would be a smoother transition between Express and 05.
    Thursday, March 30, 2006 11:17 AM
  • This should not have been caused by a conversion between Express and 05, so I'm not sure how you ended up in this state.  At any rate, I hope you've been able to correct the problem adequately.  Let us know if you need more help.

Stephen

Thursday, March 30, 2006 4:19 PM
  • This error "Error 1 'Private Sub btn_cadastrar_animal_Click (ByVal sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs)' has multiple definitions with identical signatures."

Had appeared on my form, just change the button name
    of btn_cadastrar_animal to btn_animal, then just rename per line of code, the error runs off and does not return.

Take care.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:06 PM