none
installing gcc 4.8.2 for eclipse juno on windows 7

Question

• ive written the infamouse hello world tutorial to simply go through the paces of knowing what happens when a program is compiled.

however i have a problem. program g++ can not be found in PATH. SO to make sure i have the latest compiler/ collection of compilers i Google searched for the gcc. doing so i found a tar.bz2 and .gz files, from the GNU website.

long story short, any step by step guidance would be appreciated on how to install gcc and get eclipse working so I can write and compile software.

im a novice although I've been studying the c++ syntax for sometime, but using IDE's I'm at a loss. Ive gotten basic functionality down: perspectives, workspace, but setting up preferences for tool chains, choosing compilers, and console commands and mixing it all up along with setting variables (PATH OR ${AVAR}, I get what a var is and if i'm not mistaken the latter of the two is a var inside of another var?) and commands is scrambling my brain.

looking for a some clarity from a more experienced mind.

in short. i just wanna set eclipse up to compile code i write.

thanks for your help if you have the time.

fyi: im using windows 7 on a home built pc. im using IDE eclipse Juno (i like to think ive got the stuff to write any program i want, however using the ide and compiler and knowing the ins and outs is bottle knecking me and is a bit discouraging as im excited to start on a personal project. so that being said any additional information or tutorials that aid in better understanding of using an IDE such as eclipse and installing cool things like compiler collections would be so sweet.

thanks all.
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Here are how-to's for setup of Eclipse CDT on Windows or see this one.

Yes, for personal projects perhaps C++ is not the best language & tooset to start with. You may want to look at Python or... even something like good old Basic?

-- pa

Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:10 PM
  • ive written the infamouse hello world tutorial to simply go through the paces of knowing what happens when a program is compiled.

however i have a problem. program g++ can not be found in PATH. SO to make sure i have the latest compiler/ collection of compilers i Google searched for the gcc. doing so i found a tar.bz2 and .gz files, from the GNU website.

long story short, any step by step guidance would be appreciated on how to install gcc and get eclipse working so I can write and compile software.

This is a Visual C++ forum. I do not see a Visual C++ question here.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:54 AM
  • Hi DoraBako,

This forum is to discuss problems of VC++ development. Your question is not related to the topic of this forum. So I moved your case to "where is the forum for".

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Sunny

Monday, January 13, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Hello,

Further questions should be asked on the CDT Forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, January 13, 2014 5:45 PM