none
Cannot jump to '...' because it is in the library "path to the VBA project I'm working in!"

    Question

  •  

    Hi all,

    I've been programming in VB and VBA for a long time.. I've come across this at least once before but don't remember what I did..

     

    Here's the deal.  Access 2000 database with a lot of VBA code.  I've got modules containing some public functions, properties, etc.  I've got a bunch of classes, normal stuff really..

     

    Normally in the VBA IDE you can select one of your function calls, right click and choose Definition from the pop up to jump to wherever that function is written.. Well, all of a sudden I can't do this in my database - it goes to the object browser and gives me the message stated in the subject of this post - can't jump to 'function name here' because it is in the library 'full path to the current database (on a mapped network drive..)' which is not currently referenced.

     

     

    Now I know that I can fully reference all of my function calls by placing the module name in front of them but man!  That could take a while and I know that something else is wrong which I'd like to find and fix..

     

    I don't know if I've done anything recently to mess up my system - I haven't installed anything recently - though it is a work machine and patches are pushed out all the time..

     

    Anyway, I'm hoping that someone else knows what to do off the top of their heads - I've already spent about an hour and a half googling this stuff after I spent about a half hour looking at old copies of the database and trying it on different systems (the problem existed on a different workstation in every old copy of the database that I opened) but it didn't used to do that..

     

    Maybe it has something to do with the mapped network drive which is DFS and could have possibly moved recently...

     

    I don't know - going crazy here

     

    Thanks for any help at all!!!

     

     

    Thursday, May 01, 2008 3:02 PM

Answers

  •  

    Ok, it appears that I found the problem..

     

    Recently changed naming conventions.. Turned out that this particular function (and several others) were named the same as the data column bound to the form... ie, Field name:  RequestTypeID - function: RequestTypeId

     

    So, I reverted back to my old naming convention which includes function or sub reference as well as the return data type.. And I can't wait to write my boss an email about the naming convention changes that I originally fought!

     

     

    Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:44 PM

All replies

  •  

    Just some additional info that I just came by...

     

    The database was in Access 2000 - I upgraded it to 2003.  Problem persisted. 

     

    I dropped my mapped drive, restarted and my logon script re-mapped my drive for me. Problem persisted.

     

    I checked other databases for this same problem - not found.

     

    So, I checked other functions in this same project - I was able to jump to some of them!! So I commented out the original function, then created it again - problem persisted.  So then I renamed the function - problem gone!

     

    The name of the function is:

     

    RequestTypeID

     

    returning an integer..

     

    I don't know if that means anything to anybody - reserved word or something?

     

    Anyway, I'm still looking for some kind of clue as to what happened..

     

     

    Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  

    Ok, it appears that I found the problem..

     

    Recently changed naming conventions.. Turned out that this particular function (and several others) were named the same as the data column bound to the form... ie, Field name:  RequestTypeID - function: RequestTypeId

     

    So, I reverted back to my old naming convention which includes function or sub reference as well as the return data type.. And I can't wait to write my boss an email about the naming convention changes that I originally fought!

     

     

    Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:44 PM