none
Can Bing Maps SDK for C# be used with Metro Apps for Windows RT?

Question

• I've noticed that, as part of the suggested setup for the Bing Maps SDK for C#, we are told to set our build configuration to "x86" or "x64".

As we can't target "Any CPU" or "ARM", does this mean that Metro apps using the Bing Maps control will not run on Windows RT?

Carl

Carl Partridge
    Software Developer
    FatAttitude Ltd

Thursday, July 05, 2012 3:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• We missed that part of the instructions; ARM (Windows RT) is fully supported. x86, x64, and ARM will all work.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Thanks for clarifying.  What are the practical implications of not being able to build for "Any CPU"; will a different package be required for each platform?  (i.e. Win8 vs WinRT)

_______________________________ Carl Partridge

Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Yes, you will need one package for each platform. This will be invisible to the end user who will get the correct package from the store automatically assuming you upload all three. You could even get away with 2 (ARM and x86) but in general you will get better performance with bit appropriate code.
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Thanks Kristoffer.

_______________________________ Carl Partridge

Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I read in another thread a couple weeks ago that the present Bing Maps SDK does not work with ARM. But, they plan to release an SDK that will support ARM processors -- some day.

So, is that wrong?

Saturday, July 07, 2012 3:43 PM
  • The current Bing Maps SDK works with ARM.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Hi

I am developing a windows store app. It uses a bing map control. Bing map sdk version is 1.113.601.1.

It doesn't allow me to create app package on ARM machine.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 9:42 AM
  • You should be able to create an ARM app package. Are you seeing any errors?

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:11 PM
    Owner