Windows Cardspace Control Panel applet crashes (RTM)

Question

• I have several development machines that I have been unable to get the RTM version of .NET 3.0 working on properly. Even after completely uninstalling the various pre-release CTP cardspace / infocard packages, if I make any changes (add / edit / delete a card), the applet crashes with an uncaught exception. Attempting to debug it in VS isn't much more helpful -- I get this error:

System.ExecutionEngineException was unhandled
    Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.ExecutionEngineException' occurred in System.IdentityModel.Selectors.dll

Is there some way to remove whatever Registry / files / settings / etc. are causing cardspace to crash? This seems to be system-level as it occurs even with a newly created user account.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 3:55 PM

All replies

• I can confirm this exact error message.

Can't find any other reference to this issue but here...

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 11:30 AM
  • Can you open the event viewer and see if you can find an error message from CardSpace there?

Post it if you can.

g

Garrett Serack | Program Manager |Federated Identity Team | Microsoft Corporation
    blog:http://blogs.msdn.com/garretts

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:43 PM
  • Hi, Garrett.

The problems I were having have been resolved (several uninstall / reinstall / reboot cycles later), and the event log no longer contains any relevant information.

The good news is I have not had any difficulty getting systems upgraded that did not contain pre-release versions.
    Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:30 PM
  • I have the same problem, and my eventviewer give the following error message

Windows CardSpace-tjenesten er for opptatt til å behandle denne forespørselen. Brukeren har for mange utestående forespørsler.

Windows CardSpace-service is too busy to handle this request. The user has to may outstanding requests.

Additional Information:

ved System.Environment.get_StackTrace()

ved Microsoft.InfoCards.Diagnostics.InfoCardTrace.BuildMessage(InfoCardBaseException ie)

ved Microsoft.InfoCards.Diagnostics.InfoCardTrace.TraceAndLogException(Exception e)

ved Microsoft.InfoCards.Diagnostics.InfoCardTrace.ThrowHelperError(Exception e)

ved Microsoft.InfoCards.UIAgentMonitor.AddNewClient(UIAgentMonitorHandle handle)

ved Microsoft.InfoCards.UIAgentMonitorHandle.CreateAgent(Int32 callerPid, WindowsIdentity callerIdentity, Int32 tsSessionId)

ved Microsoft.InfoCards.RequestFactory.CreateClientRequestInstance(UIAgentMonitorHandle monitorHandle, String reqName, IntPtr rpcHandle, Stream inStream, Stream outStream)

ved Microsoft.InfoCards.RequestFactory.ProcessNewRequest(Int32 parentRequestHandle, IntPtr rpcHandle, IntPtr inArgs, IntPtr& outArgs)

Saturday, November 17, 2007 7:05 AM
  • There are some applications which interfere with cardspace UI. See http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2003866&SiteID=1 and http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=900505&SiteID=1 for details.

Can you check if following exe's are running on your system? If not, can you let us know which exe is causing problem for you? (This happens on second invocation of cardspace)

Password safe (don’t know exe name)

Sametime (sametime.exe)

Miranda

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:55 PM
  • I do not run any of these applications, and I get the same error message when I try to run cardspace again.

When I look in taskmanager the infocard.exe and icardgt.exe runs, and if i kill the infocard.exe process and run it again it crashes, and the same error message is written to the event log. I'm using Windows Vista 64bit, and my user account is a standard user.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Do you see this error when you launch CardSpace through the Control Panel, or only when you launch through a browser?  If CardSpace fails when launching from the Control Panel, see if the following symptoms sound familiar:

1) First time, launch CardSpace through Control Panel, either nothing happens, or the private desktop appears only briefly.

2) Second time, launch CardSpace through Control Panel, a message box appears which says, "An Error occurred accessing Windows CardSpace.  Please check the event log for more details."  The event log entry says, "Windows CardSpace service is too busy to process this request..."

3) Task Manager shows both icardagt.exe, and infocard.exe are running.

If these describe your scenario is does appear that a separate application is interfering with our private desktop.  Rakesh mentioned a couple of applications that are known to cause difficulty, in addition this has been known to cause issues:

Acronis Scheduler Helper - schedhlp.exe

If you aren't running any of these, but your symptoms match my description, then you'll have to pinpoint the culprit by systematically turning off all non-essential executables until the culprit is found.  Sites like http://www.processlibrary.com/ provide a quick way to lookup processes to ascertain if they are critical to the operation of your system.  Anti-virus suites, password managers, and other security application are prime candidates for application incompatibility.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Ok, thanks for the information, the culprit is Acronis Scheduler Helper which is running, I tried to kill that process and then run CardSpace and it worked fine. I guess it is up to Acronis to fix this?

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:21 PM
  • There are some applications which interfere with cardspace UI. See http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2003866&SiteID=1 and http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=900505&SiteID=1 for details.

Can you check if following exe's are running on your system? If not, can you let us know which exe is causing problem for you? (This happens on second invocation of cardspace)

Password safe (don’t know exe name)

Sametime (sametime.exe)

Miranda

Anybody can answer it? The link  cannot help me with the problem.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Here is what I got, I am using Windows 7

User has too many outstanding requests. Additional Information: at System.Environment.get_StackTrace() at Microsoft.InfoCards.Diagnostics.InfoCardTrace.BuildMessage(InfoCardBaseException ie) at Microsoft.InfoCards.Diagnostics.InfoCardTrace.TraceAndLogException(Exception e) at Microsoft.InfoCards.Diagnostics.InfoCardTrace.ThrowHelperError(Exception e) at Microsoft.InfoCards.UIAgentMonitor.AddNewClient(UIAgentMonitorHandle handle) at Microsoft.InfoCards.UIAgentMonitorHandle.CreateAgent(Int32 callerPid, WindowsIdentity callerIdentity, Int32 tsSessionId) at Microsoft.InfoCards.RequestFactory.CreateClientRequestInstance(UIAgentMonitorHandle monitorHandle, String reqName, IntPtr rpcHandle, Stream inStream, Stream outStream) at Microsoft.InfoCards.RequestFactory.ProcessNewRequest(Int32 parentRequestHandle, IntPtr rpcHandle, IntPtr inArgs, IntPtr& outArgs)

Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:02 PM