none
help with GPS Assisted

Question

• Hi guys i'm newbie in WinMo
    And I'm trying to make an aplication that can do an assisted fix, (fix with the cell towers) , i'am able now to make a fix with satellites and i was looking  for how to do the assisted fix and i found something  with IOCTL_GPS_READ_ASSISTED  and i have to use the ports, i don't know if some one have to use this or have to do domethig with assisted fixes.
    I will apreaciate the help.
    Thaks
    • Moved by OmegaManMVP Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:09 PM (From:Visual C# General)
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• AGPS does not really work indoors, it just gets lock faster and/or in more complex conditions (e.g. near window). Cell towers may or may not be involved in AGPS operations, it’s just one example of getting approximate location so AGPS information (e.g. satellite almanac) can be downloaded from the server.

This location can be obtained via different means, most obvious would be previously obtained lock. Many none-cell phone based GPS devices (e.g. car based PNDs) are using AGPS as well. Data can be downloaded from PC while PND is connected to it via USB (e.g. TomTom devices are doing just that, no cell phone is needed).

A good example of AGPS on WM would be Samsung BlackJack II device running WM 6.1 (initial 6.0 had no assistance). As a result time to acquire lock on cold start went down from couple minutes to about 10 seconds. Also lock is possible near windows or in 1-2 story wooden buildings.

Whatever your handset can do AGPS or not – that I do not know. If you get a lock from cold start in under 30 seconds (outdoors, of course) then it is probably AGPS. Most PPC devices have configuration utility to allow for AGPS and also to trigger AGPS information download (it usually good for a week or so). 

See this on what this IOCTL does.

Cell tower triangulation works indoors in most cases (as implemented by Live Search Mobile and Google Maps for example) but this has little to do with GPS.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:03 PM

All replies

• You don’t need to do anything. If device has assisted GPS and it has lock information downloaded it would be used automatically with no effort required from you.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Ok i'm working with palm Treo Pro, and i can make a standalone fix, but if i'm indoor i can't do this , Do you know if this handset is able to do assisted fixes??
    And other question What does IOCTL_GPS_READ_ASSISTED do?

• Edited by aloh_ Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:31 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:03 PM
  • AGPS does not really work indoors, it just gets lock faster and/or in more complex conditions (e.g. near window). Cell towers may or may not be involved in AGPS operations, it’s just one example of getting approximate location so AGPS information (e.g. satellite almanac) can be downloaded from the server.

This location can be obtained via different means, most obvious would be previously obtained lock. Many none-cell phone based GPS devices (e.g. car based PNDs) are using AGPS as well. Data can be downloaded from PC while PND is connected to it via USB (e.g. TomTom devices are doing just that, no cell phone is needed).

A good example of AGPS on WM would be Samsung BlackJack II device running WM 6.1 (initial 6.0 had no assistance). As a result time to acquire lock on cold start went down from couple minutes to about 10 seconds. Also lock is possible near windows or in 1-2 story wooden buildings.

Whatever your handset can do AGPS or not – that I do not know. If you get a lock from cold start in under 30 seconds (outdoors, of course) then it is probably AGPS. Most PPC devices have configuration utility to allow for AGPS and also to trigger AGPS information download (it usually good for a week or so). 

See this on what this IOCTL does.

Cell tower triangulation works indoors in most cases (as implemented by Live Search Mobile and Google Maps for example) but this has little to do with GPS.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Oh thanks but i have this doubt because i found an app for Win Mo that implemets all posible modes i want to say  have  Speed Optimal mode, Assisted, Base, Standalone, Data Optimal, etc.
    I have worked with brew and i can configure this and someones tell me that palm Treo pro has a Qualcomm Chipset that implements this functions but i'm lookinf for the way to implement this may be not just using the GPS, but  i was looking for some one to configure this. I have now some idea to do this like you say dowloading the almanac first. I will try and  if i can do this i will post the code..
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:12 AM
  •  Hi all,
       I have a gps device.....and i am getting the gps fix through hyperterminal....
    Now i am trying to redesign the gps device by connecting usb to it.
     and i am trying to get gps data through usb...
    The gps device is being designed by us using the gps module and microcontroller....
    we want the software to be developed by us....
    What i want to know as soon as the device is inserted into the usb port i should recieve the gps data into the database....
    CAn anyone suggest me how to start this using VB...
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:05 AM
  • I stumbled upon your post through a web search.  Would you know how the Blackjack II downloads this satellite almanac to obtain a faster GPS fix?  Does it connect to AT&T servers?

The ultimate reason I'm asking is that I have a WM 6.1 Blackjack II on T-Mobile.  GPS fixes still take several minutes at least.  I would like to know if I can configure the device to download this satellite almanac, if not from an AT&T server, from some other (possibly T-Mobile) server.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:09 PM