PRF0025; No data was collected

Question

• I'm VS2005 C++ developer exploring the capabilities of VSTS 2008 Profiler.  I create simple VSTS 2008 C++ Console Application with a couple of for loops doing some arithmatic calculations, which take about a minute to run.  My Sampling output is:

Profiler started

Successfully attached to process: 3452

Exited from process: 3452

Collection file exited: C:\<dir>\ConsolePerformProfiler080704.vsp

Profiler exited

PRF0025: No data was collected

As someone suggested, in Performance Explorer, ConsolePerformProfiler Property Pages > Sampling.  I've tried changing Sample event: Performance counter, highlight Instructions Retired, OK.  Still, I get the PRF0025.

My system environment is x86, VMWare Workstation, Vista Virtual Machine runnning VSTS 2008.

Please advise, how to troubleshoot my problem.  Thank you.

Friday, July 04, 2008 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Unfortunately, VS2008 does not support profiling in virtual environments (VMWare, VPC, Hyper-V).  If you'd still like to try out the profiling features, you should be able to download the 90-day VSTS 2008 trial ISO and install it directly on your machine.

Regards,

Chris

Monday, July 07, 2008 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately, VS2008 does not support profiling in virtual environments (VMWare, VPC, Hyper-V).  If you'd still like to try out the profiling features, you should be able to download the 90-day VSTS 2008 trial ISO and install it directly on your machine.

Regards,

Chris

Monday, July 07, 2008 9:09 PM
  • To clarify this a bit:

- VS2008 only supports instrumentation profiling in virtual environments, but there will be no data for Application Time (Elapsed Time will be there, however)
    - The upcoming Dev10 (VS2010) release supports both sampling and instrumentation in virtual environments
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:33 PM