none
Kinect for Windows 8.1 not showing as webcam

Question

• I have installed the kinect on Windows 8.1 and have it working for Skype. However I cannot get it to show up or be used in windows 8.1 or in apps like camera as I am presented with "To get started connect a camera"

I would appreciate some assistance in resolving this issue as I would like to use it in these apps.

Regards, Matt
    Monday, January 13, 2014 7:28 PM

Answers

• The Kinect for Windows device is not a web camera. It does not appear to the system as one because the data it provides(depth, IR, skeletal) has to be processed by an application to make some sense of the data.

Applications can use the provided Kinect for Windows SDK to incorporate these features within their apps.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, January 13, 2014 9:44 PM
    Owner

All replies

• The Kinect for Windows device is not a web camera. It does not appear to the system as one because the data it provides(depth, IR, skeletal) has to be processed by an application to make some sense of the data.

Applications can use the provided Kinect for Windows SDK to incorporate these features within their apps.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, January 13, 2014 9:44 PM
    Owner

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Is there anyway I can get the data used in the windows 8.1 camera application to process the data?
    (As it does work with Skype)

Regards, Matt

Monday, January 13, 2014 10:36 PM