mstest is not recognized as an internal or external command

Question

• I am trying to run a delegated WebTest from the command line using MStest. I have VSTS 2008 Suite Edition Installed. If I go to the command prompt from VSTS first (start-->all programs-->microsoft visual studio 2008-->visual studio tools-->visual studio 2008 comand prompt), then go to the directory where my Webtest resides, then run my Webtest with mstest, it runs. But if I go to the command prompt in the normal way, go to the directory where my Webtest resides, the mstest command fails with the error message: " 'mstest' is not recognized as an internal or external command".

I looked in the Forum and found an old entry from 2006 at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vststest/thread/a6b15c77-6ffc-4c03-9d43-c5f37f922b2d/ that told me to "You'll need to add mstest.exe's location to the PATH environment variable. Open a command window and execute this command: path=%path%;locationOfMstestExe".

I tried this command at the command prompt from within VSTS and normally. Then tried to run my WebTest and I get the same error unless I run it from within the VSTS command prompt. How can I fix this? I need to be able to run WebTests in batch mode.

Thanks,
    Jill
    Monday, December 01, 2008 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is the path Visual Studio used.

@set PATH=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\VCPackages;%PATH%
    @set INCLUDE=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ATLMFC\INCLUDE;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\INCLUDE;%INCLUDE%
    @set LIB=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ATLMFC\LIB;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\LIB;%LIB%
    @set LIBPATH=c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ATLMFC\LIB;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\LIB;%LIBPATH%

You can set the PATH by default to use c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE.

Right Click on "My Computer" -> Advanced -> "Enviorment Variables" -> in "System Variables" select "Path" and click "Edit"

This is the default - 
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\HPQ\IAM\bin;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\

Change it to -
     %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\HPQ\IAM\bin;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\VCPackages;

Let me know if you have any more problem.
    http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/shair
    • Marked as answer by Jill Bufford Tuesday, December 02, 2008 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the path Visual Studio used.

@set PATH=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\VCPackages;%PATH%
    @set INCLUDE=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ATLMFC\INCLUDE;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\INCLUDE;%INCLUDE%
    @set LIB=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ATLMFC\LIB;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\LIB;%LIB%
    @set LIBPATH=c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\ATLMFC\LIB;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\LIB;%LIBPATH%

You can set the PATH by default to use c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE.

Right Click on "My Computer" -> Advanced -> "Enviorment Variables" -> in "System Variables" select "Path" and click "Edit"

This is the default - 
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\HPQ\IAM\bin;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\

Change it to -
     %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\HPQ\IAM\bin;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\VCPackages;

Let me know if you have any more problem.
    http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/shair
    • Marked as answer by Jill Bufford Tuesday, December 02, 2008 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:24 PM
  •  I added your new path to my path of my environment variable path, and it worked like a champ! Thanks!  -Jill
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 9:42 PM