none
Custom CCR Extensions to Guarantee FIFO Task Processing Across All Ports in a PortSet

Question

• I just learned (the hard way) that FIFO Task scheduling is only guarantee on a per-port basis in a PortSet and not across all ports inside of that portset. In my case, switching from a portset to a port was not a huge deal, so no harm, no foul.

That said, FIFO Task scheduling on a per-portset basis seems like a generally useful thing. Has someone already created the neccessary CCR extensions to do such a thing? What are all the steps needed to support such functionality? I imagine I'd have to create a custom PortSet class but I'm not sure if I'd also need a custom DispatcherQueue as well.

Now, I realize that there are some inherent dangers to the FIFO processing of messages on an entire PortSet. Namely, if you had something like FIFOPortSet<string,int,double> but there were no receivers for a message of type double then the entire port would essentially stop as soon as somone posted a double to the port (though maybe that itself could be a feature in some cases). Still, given that as a danger of this approach, I think having such a tool at my disposal would be great.

So, does anyone know what is needed to extended the CCR to support this? Further, does anyone have any design ideas or gotchas I should know about before starting?

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:48 AM

Answers

• One in-built way to do this, at the cost of some runtime overhead, is to create the PortSet with PortSetMode.SharedPort. Underneath, such PortSets are backed by a single Port<object>. Producers can then post as normal but the receiver must listen on the Port's SharedPort property and must do the type-testing themselves.

Friday, February 17, 2012 10:25 PM

All replies