Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012 Power Tools DB Backup Tool Error

Question

• I have upgraded our TFS 2010 (Win 2008 R2 SP1, SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1, WSS 3.0 SP2) to TFS 2012 (Win 2012 RTM, SQL Server 2012, SPF 2010 SP1). This is a single server farm (TFS, SP are installed on the same server). TFS build is installed on a separate server. Everything works fine.

In the TFS 2010 environment, I was able to use the TFS 2010 Power Tool to create a backup plan. I installed/upgraded the TFS power tool to TFS 2012 Power Tool.. When I try to create a backup plan using the backup plan wizard, I get errors. (my guess is during the upgrade some permission to the DB was revoked.)
    backup plan settings:

It looks like there are three issues:

1. Cannot find reporting databases
    The following is logged:
    [Info   @22:38:23.430] +-+-+-+-+-| Running VerifyReportingDatabases: Verify valid SQL Reporting Services database connection string |+-+-+-+-+-
    [Info   @22:38:23.446]
    [Info   @22:38:23.446] +-+-+-+-+-| Verify valid SQL Reporting Services database connection string |+-+-+-+-+-
    [Info   @22:38:23.446] Starting Node: DataBaseAccess
    [Info   @22:38:23.446] NodePath : Container/Progress/DataBaseAccess
    [Info   @22:38:23.524] Node returned: Error
    [Error  @22:38:23.524] Cannot find reporting databases
    [Info   @22:38:23.524] Completed VerifyReportingDatabases: Error
    [Info   @22:38:23.524] -----------------------------------------------------

2. Cannot find SharePoint databases for applications.
    [Info @22:38:23.540] +-+-+-+-+-| Running VerifySharepointDatabases: Verify valid SharePoint database connection string |+-+-+-+-+-
    [Info   @22:38:23.540]
    [Info   @22:38:23.540] +-+-+-+-+-| Verify valid SharePoint database connection string |+-+-+-+-+-
    [Info   @22:38:23.540] Starting Node: DataBaseAccess
    [Info   @22:38:23.540] NodePath : Container/Progress/Conditional/DataBaseAccess
    [Info   @22:38:26.965] Node returned: Error
    [Error  @22:38:26.965] Cannot find SharePoint databases for applications:  http://xxxxxx-tfs01:17012/. This tool does not support multiple SharePoint farms in TFS configuration. If your TFS server is using multiple farms for SharePoint application, please exclude SharePoint component from the backup plan
    [Info   @22:38:26.965] Completed VerifySharepointDatabases: Error
    [Info   @22:38:26.965] -----------------------------------------------------
    [Info   @22:38:26.965] +-+-+-+-+-| Running VerifyBackupEncryptionKeyOperation: Verify > Reporting Services encryption key can be backed up |+-+-+-+-+-
    [Info   @22:38:26.965]
    [Info   @22:38:26.965] +-+-+-+-+-| Verify Reporting Services encryption key can be backed up |+-+-+-+-+-
    [Info   @22:38:26.965] Starting Node: VerifyBackupEncryptionKeyOperation
    [Info   @22:38:26.965] NodePath : Container/Progress/Conditional/VerifyBackupEncryptionKeyOperation
    [Info   @22:38:27.059] Node returned: Error [Error  @22:38:27.059] Provider load failure
    [Info   @22:38:27.059] Completed VerifyBackupEncryptionKeyOperation: Error
    [Info   @22:38:27.059] -----------------------------------------------------

3. Alert setup fails
    [Info @22:43:57.295] +-+-+-+-+-| Running VerifyEmailNotifications: Verify Email Notifications |+-+-+-+-+-
    [Info   @22:43:57.295]
    [Info   @22:43:57.295] +-+-+-+-+-| Verify Email Notifications |+-+-+-+-+-
    [Info   @22:43:57.295] Starting Node: VerifyEmailNotifications
    [Info   @22:43:57.295] NodePath : Container/Conditional/Progress/VerifyEmailNotifications
    [Info   @22:44:05.461] Node returned: Error [Error  @22:44:05.461] The Backup Task account 'xxxxxxx-TFS01\TFSServiceAccount' either does not have permissions on your SMTP host or the password specified is invalid. Select an account with permissions to send emails and confirm the password is correct.
    [Info   @22:44:05.461] Completed VerifyEmailNotifications: Error
    [Info   @22:44:05.461] -----------------------------------------------------

Monday, October 01, 2012 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Hossein:

SharePoint Foundation 2010 is not supported on Windows Server 2012. This is not something the TFS team controls - it comes from the SP team. The alternative on Server 2012 is SharePoint Foundation 2013, but that is in preview only at this point.

I see you are now using the SQL Server Maintenance Plan  to back up the TFS database.   I think this is a more reliable method that using the TFS Backup Power tool.   Having a full backup of your Team Foundation Server database is not something you want to leave to chance.

A  new tool  exists in  TFS 2012 that you might want to consider for your backup tasks. In TFS 2012, you can open a Command prompt with Administrator rights.  Then change the default folder to
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 11.0\Tools  (or wherever you install your TFS 2012). Finally, run the following executable:  TFSbackup.exe

This utility allows you to back up a TFS database as well.  This tool  is a different backup utility than the one called by the TFS Power Tools. It's a one-off and does not offer scheduling, but it may be helpful to you.

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

• Marked as answer by Hossein Aarabi Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:00 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Hessein,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description of the issue, hope you can provide following information to help narrow down the issue:
    1. Please check reporting database exists ot not?
    You can go to SQL server management studio to check ReportServer dabase exists or not. Or, in TFS admin console to check Reporting feature is configured properly or not.
    2. Do you use SharePoint farms? The backup tool does not support multiple SharePoint farms.
    3. After upgrade TFS 2010 to TFS 2012, can you use the features properly like work item tracking, version control, build.
    4. As the error log mentioned, would you please check the backup account has the permission to access SMTP server or make sure enter the right password.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:14 AM
  • 1. Please check reporting database exists or not? 
    You can go to SQL server management studio to check ReportServer database exists or not. Or, in TFS admin console to check Reporting feature is configured properly or not.

2. Do you use SharePoint farms? The backup tool does not support multiple SharePoint farms.

No, I do not use SP farms. 

3. After upgrade TFS 2010 to TFS 2012, can you use the features properly like work item tracking, version control, build.

Yes. item tracking, version control, build, team web access, reports. All SharePoint sites work. No issues.

4. As the error log mentioned, would you please check the backup account has the permission to access SMTP server or make sure enter the right password.

This last issue is the last of my worries. The password is correct.  I decided to install SMTP service on this server (the SMTP service is running).  I configure the outgoing email in SharePoint. 

There is clearly a bug in this tool. 

I updated the following file: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Server Configuration\ConfigPT

I changed the SmtpHost to match my new SMTP host (the server name). I went back to the TFS Backup Tools console. The SMTP Host was updated. But, when I went to recreated the backup plan, in the Alerts section, the SMTP Host was still showing the old SMTP server IP.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:26 PM
  • In TFS Backup Plan console, when I select Recreate Backup Plan, in the SP ULS log, I get the following exception message:

"There is a compatibility range mismatch between the Web server and database "", and connections to the data have been blocked to due to this incompatibility. This can happen when a content database has not been upgraded to be within the compatibility range of the Web server, or if the database has been upgraded to a higher level than the web server. The Web server and the database must be upgraded to the same version and build level to return to compatibility range."

This does not make sense to me because according to these two screens my upgrade was successful:

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Hi Hessein,

Thank you for your post.

I am trying to involve someone to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Lily, Thanks!

I came up on this msdn library article saying:

"You can’t install SharePoint Foundation 2010 on Windows Server 2012. If you want to use the standard configuration on Windows Server 2012, you must skip the installation of SharePoint Foundation 2010."

Why?

I was able to upgrade using the following path:

• Upgraded WSS 3.0 SP 2 > SP3 > SPF 2010 > SP1
      • Upgraded Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 > Windows Server 2012 RTM
      • Upgraded TFS 2018 SP1 > TFS 2012 RTM

The only issues I have noticed so far are:

• The installation of SPF 2010 goes without any problems. But, after completing the SP Products Configuration Wizard, in Farm Configuration Wizard comes up. I decided to let the FCW to do the configuration. But, this process goes on forever after 1 hour or so, the page just times out. One unexpected behavior I noticed is after running the SP Products Configuration Wizard, I am able to browse to Farm Configuration Wizard page in the Central Administration Web site. But after certain period of time (not sure how long) when I go to the FCW page in CA, it is blank (there is no link icon or link to run the FCW)
    • TFS 2012 Power Tools backup fails as mentioned in this thread.

For now, I uninstalled the Backup feature for TFS 2012 Power Tools. I am using the SQL Server Maintenance Plan (which performs the same procedure as the Backup feature of the Power Tool). Works like a charm :)

The procedure I am following for my TFS backup is specified in the following MSDN link.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Hi Hossein:

SharePoint Foundation 2010 is not supported on Windows Server 2012. This is not something the TFS team controls - it comes from the SP team. The alternative on Server 2012 is SharePoint Foundation 2013, but that is in preview only at this point.

I see you are now using the SQL Server Maintenance Plan  to back up the TFS database.   I think this is a more reliable method that using the TFS Backup Power tool.   Having a full backup of your Team Foundation Server database is not something you want to leave to chance.

A  new tool  exists in  TFS 2012 that you might want to consider for your backup tasks. In TFS 2012, you can open a Command prompt with Administrator rights.  Then change the default folder to
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 11.0\Tools  (or wherever you install your TFS 2012). Finally, run the following executable:  TFSbackup.exe

This utility allows you to back up a TFS database as well.  This tool  is a different backup utility than the one called by the TFS Power Tools. It's a one-off and does not offer scheduling, but it may be helpful to you.

• Marked as answer by Hossein Aarabi Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:00 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 5:02 PM
  • I was not aware of the TFSbackup.exe. Thanks!

I have decided to go ahead with the SQL Server Maintenance Plan and use PowerShell cmdlets for SP backup.

I also notice that the TFS Backup Power Tool does not properly backup the SP farm. The proper way should be via the PowerShell cmdlets (Backup-SPFarm) not just run the SQL Server maintenance Plan on SP DBs.

Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi Hossein,

I appreciate the reply.  I believe you are wise in choosing to use the SQL Server Maintenance Plan  to back up your databases in TFS. I am glad we could be of help to you.

Monday, October 08, 2012 4:07 PM