none
Xbox NUI Motor

General discussion

• I have two computers that work great with the Kinect SDK, but recently bought two new samsungs for a project.  After installing the C++ Redist and the Kinect SDK, plugging in the device identifies it as a Xbox NUI Motor. Trying to update the driver against the Kinect SDK drivers, it displays it cannot find the Microsoft Kinect Device. I am unsure what is going on. One of the computers uses USD 3.0 but the other has 3 port and probably one controller but i have made sure no other devices are connected. I have verified that the Kinect is fine because it is working on the other laptops, but the samsung has nothing else on it and is extremely clean. Any and all help is greatly appreciated - thanks. 

Log from driver update:

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\kinectdevice.inf_amd64_neutral_e63daa478cf0d7c1\kinectdevice.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_045E&PID_02B0\7&26DDACDF&0&2 with the following status: 0x2.

========== UPDATE ===========

Converted one laptop to clean install of 32 bit windows 7 and all works great. It must be something with the 64 is all i can gather. Have seen weird issues trying to make an installer where the c++ redist needs to be 86. Going to switch the other to 32 cause really have no other choice. 

• Edited by sozes Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• I use windows 7 64-bit and i think i did a reinstall of it before i installed kinect because my laptop was acting up anyways.

Try compiling the source code from kinect sdk in 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit(x64) by setting your configuration.

Heres a picture of the place to do that (go to build->configuration manager to access the build settings for compiling project into exe file):

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I am able to compile, but the issue is not the samples but is instead the actual driver for 64 with Kinect. There is no recognition for the device as a Kinect. 
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:34 PM
  • I have it working on my 64-bit windows 7 with 64-bit kinect drivers.

Im using msi a5000.

Look at my guide (it reference external links to important forum discussions when necessary like eddys faq on what to do when kinect messes up):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/d0eeb269-2c3f-4a40-8b65-9d6b8dcae147

Also, look in the kinect readme because theirs some things in projects that might have to be done differently..

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:22 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:20 PM
  • I have it installed on one 64 bit machine, but it was from a while ago. I have gone through all the guides and have switched the computers to 32 bit. So i guess i am just putting this information here on what i ran into with brand new computers and doing the simple install. I recreated the exact steps with 32 bit, so that is why i question the drivers and not my steps. I have not had much problems before. I was hoping there was some knowledge on why the driver would be Kinect NUI Motor and have a hard time recognizing. Again the status of install failing is something internal to the driver that i cannot reference and that is what i am looking for. I am having others try and they have run into the same issues with the install in 64. Again i have had it working in 64 before November but on new clean laptops it seems it is failing. Thanks for your response and the guide. 
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:34 PM
  • If you try to install 64-bit driver and post error message i can help determine problem. Usually i have this installed on many different machines at my work so i got kinect sdk beta 2 installed freshly on a dell, msi (personal laptop), and i think ibm.

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:42 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Steps:

1) download visual C++ 2010 express

2) Install visual c++

3) Download Kinect beta 2 for 64

4) install Kinect beta 2 for 64

5) Restart

6) Plug in kinect - driver notification defines that it is trying to install and eventually fails. Pictures of device manager at the top of post.

7) Go to device manager and right click to update driver, point to the Kinect sdk install directory / drivers 

8) Recieve 2nd image from top post and look in windows logs:

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\kinectdevice.inf_amd64_neutral_e63daa478cf0d7c1\kinectdevice.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_045E&PID_02B0\7&26DDACDF&0&2 with the following status: 0x2.

I have tried this multiple times and receive the error every time on two different machines. I appreciate your help

Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Need to install the direct x sdk to use the samples correctly. But instead of using update driver try right clicking the device in device manger and click uninstall  and then when its detecting the kinect device again skip windows update for faster detection of the device. Also, make sure open ni drivers are uninstalled completely and not installed as this is an issue which causes kinect sdk installation failure.

Also, is this a custom computer? If so you will have to check the usb 3.0 hookup cables inside your computer (Make sure power is disconnected first!) just for clarity. In addition, make sure the kinect is powered up and usb cables for kinect are not plugged into the same physical usb hub as other usb devices as this can conflict with both 64-bit and 32-bit computers (really kinect is a usb power hog thats why it needs a seperate power supply also) and this includes usb 3.0 ports for ease of mind.

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:02 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:54 PM
  • I am not using the samples, just need to get the drivers working. I have tried to uninstall and skip, it does the same either way. I have not installed any other Kinect drivers and these computers have only been open to Kinect Beta 2.

These are new Samsung laptops bought from BestBuy and straight from the package. I have made sure that it is plugged in correctly and tested with different machines. One does have USB 3.0 but also has a USB 2.0 port - the other is only USB 2.0 and i have made sure no other devices are plugged in. With the USB 3.0 item it is plugged into the 2.0 slot and not the 3.0 slot. Again I have converted them to 32 bit and followed the same steps as above but have not run into any of the issue i had with 64 bit. Thanks for the help

Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:09 PM
  • So it still doesnt work on 64-bit laptops? A user that had windows installed on mac the kinect team said his usb ports were not "supported hardware" or similar paraphase so if its just be gotten over christmas then i would suppose the kinect sdk has not be updated to handle usb 3.0 or your type computer.

Try on one of your older computers that isnt more then 2-3 years old at most because my msi computer is 1-1 1/2 years (sorry edit my computer is a little new still) old but the 64-bit dell i have kinect installed on at our school is not.

p.s. i work at the board at a k-12  school system as IT so i deal with 64-bit and 32-bit computers and have to install 32-bit and 64-bit programs all the time and 64-bit programs can sometimes be a pain so i feel what your going through but i have to get it working in order to keep my job.

• Edited by The Thinker Friday, January 06, 2012 2:18 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:17 PM
  • when did you get that error message above? What happens when you plug in the device? You should see the "toast" popup on the taskbar.
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Try my suggestion above on a laptop or desktop computer of yours that is 64-bit and is closest to the release of beta 2 sdk but was bought before it came out. Because if you got it a month after kinect sdk beta 2 came out then the usb ports are probably not supported but for supported hardware look in the readme and eddy's post in my guide i link to because he talks about common problems that i have not made solutions for but could work with a little modification.

Also, you wouldn't happen to be chinese or non-english speaking would you because sometimes people of non-english speaking dialog have had trouble just installing 32-bit because of the locale the driver installer was written for.

I wouldn't worry about the driver as long you can install on previous computers but i was wondering how usb 3.0 would act like with kinect. I think the kinect team when necessary should break into updating driver for usb 3.0 if it isnt already.

Also, install all 32-bit prequiste files including visual studio if 32-bit from new 64-bit machines. Install prequiste files manually (just dot net framework 4.0, visual c++ redistributable 64-bit version, and maybe  as ive found this usually helps when my brothers machine failed to install express editions of visual studio but when dotnet framework installed it went on just fine).

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:34 PM