none
Industry best practice guidance. B2B versus B2C Marketing Lists in CRM 2011.

Question

• Our Dynamics CRM 2011 solution was implemented as a business solution, with emphasis on the sales funnel/pipeline. Our marketing team now want to use it to house their eDM (email marketing) contacts, which was never the intention of the project. The eDM contacts list run into tens of thousands and consists of people who never transact with us other than to read an eDM.

Therefore I feel that these people do not belong in CRM as a Contact, in the true sense. Leads would be blown out of proportion. How are other businesses handling situations like this - I'd be keen to hear? eDM subscribers come in through a Sitecore web form (as do their email marketing 'preference centre' updates).

• Sitecore WCMS
    • ExactTarget for handling the send and reporting of eDMs

Thanks in advance!

Rebecca Sharpe | Data Analyst, Marketing & Communications T +61 7 3006 6237 | F +61 7 3006 6250 | E rsharpe@brisbanemarketing.com.au Level 12, 15 Adelaide Street, Brisbane Qld 4000 | PO Box 12260, George Street, Brisbane Qld 4003 Australia www.brisbanemarketing.com.au | www.visitbrisbane.com.au

• Edited by RebeccaSAAS Monday, September 23, 2013 11:55 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 11:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think you are right. There is a very slight difference between leads and contacts. Contacts are those who has been progressed in the pipeline a little more than leads. For example, you have negotiated with them and you have an opportunity, that is why you create a contact in the lead to opportunity conversion. Having more calls, emails, appointments ... results in more detailed information about a person. Hence, contacts have more detailed fields. In case of email marketing, you could add both of leads and contacts to marketing lists and there is no restriction. This is the main logic of this part of CRM which I deployed several times. So, analyze your conditions to see if the persons are contact or leads.

My Weblog | My Website

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you are right. There is a very slight difference between leads and contacts. Contacts are those who has been progressed in the pipeline a little more than leads. For example, you have negotiated with them and you have an opportunity, that is why you create a contact in the lead to opportunity conversion. Having more calls, emails, appointments ... results in more detailed information about a person. Hence, contacts have more detailed fields. In case of email marketing, you could add both of leads and contacts to marketing lists and there is no restriction. This is the main logic of this part of CRM which I deployed several times. So, analyze your conditions to see if the persons are contact or leads.

My Weblog | My Website

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Thank you Payman. I guess, for us, Contacts could be people who only ever receive emails off us (updates about what's happening in the city, and so on) and so we require less information about them than we would a Contact, which would fall into our pipeline. Perhaps we should have a Contact type of eDM Subscriber (separate to our sales pipeline Contacts), and have them sitting in a mirrored Contact area so that we don't accidentally, say, run an Advanced Find, and then email them with a B2B opportunity or to an event that they shouldn't be invited to.

I would be interested to hear how other companies handle this kind of situation. Also, I imagine the load on the server would need to be considered...?

Rebecca Sharpe | Data Analyst, Marketing & Communications T +61 7 3006 6237 | F +61 7 3006 6250 | E rsharpe@brisbanemarketing.com.au Level 12, 15 Adelaide Street, Brisbane Qld 4000 | PO Box 12260, George Street, Brisbane Qld 4003 Australia www.brisbanemarketing.com.au | www.visitbrisbane.com.au

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:14 AM