none
CDDBCONTROL.CddbID3Tag Run-time error '429' ActiveX component can't create object

Question

• I have Windows 7 Ultimate, and Excel 2010, which is where I'm writing my VBA code. I want to update some of the detailed properties found within an MP3 file; e.g. Album, Album Artist, Contributing Artist, Title, Genre, Year, etc.

I've worked for days trying to solve this reading online helps. I'm stuck. Let me show what I've done. I'll try to be precise to help others who have been struggling too:

I have downloaded many different versions of the cddbcontrol.dll. e.g. cddbcontrol.dll, CDDBControlApple.dll, CDDBControlWinamp.dll, CDDBRealControl.dll, and ID3TagLibrary.dll. I get the same 429 ActiveX error on all of them.

I know that they must be "registered" so I am doing this; in fact I have tried it using the 32-bit registration and the default 64-bit registration using this process:

1. First, running the CMD window as Administrator:  START MENU, All Programs, Accessories, and then RIGHT Click on the Command Prompt and selecting 'Run as Administrator'.

Here, as the administrator, I am able to do steps 2 and 3 below to un-register and register appropriate DLL files for use in Excel's Reference Library.

2. I un-register the cddbcontrols that are in place using the standard 64-bit registration tool (I question whether this is necessary, but in order to avoid conflicts, for now, since I am having troubles, i am choosing to un-register the cddbcontrol so that only one of them exists at a time):

C:\Windows\System 32\regsvr32.exe /u "C:\the pathname location\cddbcontrol.dll"

I've also done this using the 32-bit tool (it does not make sense to me why the two are in the opposite folders than what you'd expect, but this is what I've read; I can't validate the truth of this statement, I'm only repeating what I've read):

C:\Windows\SysWOW\regsvr32.exe /u "C:\the pathname location\cddbcontrol.dll"

3. Then I REGISTER the DLL for use in Excel.

For default 64-bit registration I simply use this command:

C:\Windows\System 32\regsvr32.exe "C:\the pathname location\cddbcontrol.dll"

For 32-bit registration I use this:

C:\Windows\SysWOW\regsvr32.exe "C:\the pathname location\cddbcontrol.dll"

4. I have saved my program, exited Excel, and opened it up again; I don't believe this is necessary, but when you are trying to rule out the error, you try crazy basic things.

5. Open my spreadsheet, go into the VBA Macro, and click on Menu TOOLS, References, and select (checking the box) of the desired CCDBControl that I'm trying to get working and click OK to load it for use. e.g. CCDBControl 1.0 Type Library, or CCCDBControl(AOL) 1.0 Type Library, etc. 

6. In my VBA Module1 code, I use these basic commands to get it working:

Dim theFilePathname as String

Dim r as long

Dim ID3 As New CDDBCONTROLLibAOL.CddbID3Tag

theFilePathname = "C:\my music\file\path location\"

Do until Cells(r,1) = Empty

With ID3

.LoadFromFile theFilePathname & Cells(r,1), False ' True = Read Only

.LeadArtist = Cells(r,2)

.album = Cells(r,3)

.genre = Cells(r,4)

.Title = Cells(r,5)

.TrackPosition = Cells(r,6)

.SaveToFile theFilePathname & Cells(r,1)

End With

DoEvents

Loop

7. I get the 429 ActiveX error at the line that says "With ID3".
    I've tried other lines for the Dim like: Dim ID3 As New CddbID3Tag
    I get the same error too.
    Please help, I am absolutely stuck, thanks.

I just found this link:

http://reidablog.blogspot.com/2006/07/setting-mp3-id-tags-with.html

I don't know if this will be my solution or not.

• Edited by Mark Main Thursday, December 08, 2011 8:44 AM
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 6:34 AM

Answers

• Ok, I am not sure you came accross this thread, but this might be interesting to play with, and see if that is something you can work with.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322393

It's not using a DLL, but make use of some API calls, which in case of 64-bit you might change accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

How about the problem on your side? Did the below link was the answer on your question?

http://reidablog.blogspot.com/2006/07/setting-mp3-id-tags-with.html

Do you still need any assistant about the problem? If you still show any concern on the problem, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:18 AM
  • No, I'f read that one too; my items #2 and #3 have this in place as something that i tried; I suspect this problem exists in 64-bit operating systems.
    • Edited by Mark Main Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:51 AM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Ok, I am not sure you came accross this thread, but this might be interesting to play with, and see if that is something you can work with.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322393

It's not using a DLL, but make use of some API calls, which in case of 64-bit you might change accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:24 PM