none
Can now use Kinect Camera with Skype

General discussion

• I've written a DirectShow filter that makes the Kinect Camera show up as a capture device and it is working fine in Skype. Please download it from here:

Updated version for Kinect for Windows SDK Beta 2 (NOTE: It doesn't work with the new non beta version!):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7bwfep71evGcEIwdWRwN0VUQksxTzBOWTloSFZiZw/edit

Instructions

After downloading KinectCam.ax place it somewhere like under My Documents and then register it by running a Command Prompt (make sure you right click and Run as Administrator) then type:

cd "<directory where you placed the file>"

c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe KinectCam.ax

Now run Skype and go to Tools -> Options -> Video Settings.

You should now be able to select a webcam called Kinect Cam. The webcam outputs white noise if it fails to initialise Kinect so if you see this check your Kinect has power and is connected via USB.

Go to Skype's audio settings and select Microphone Array (Kinect USB Audio).

Feedback is appreciated. I've not had a chance to test it much but it does seem to be working fine.

Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:30 AM

All replies

• Sorry, forgot to mention. The first time you use the Kinect Cam it will create a config file in your local app data folder. On windows 7 the normal path would be:

c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\KinectCam\config.ini

If you edit this file you can change the Camera Elevation Angle which defaults to 0 initially. I have mine set to -15 as my Kinect is above the monitor. The camera will be set to the angle in this file whenever the Kinect Cam is started.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:45 AM
  •  

Now run Skype and go to Tools -> Options -> Video Settings.

You should now be able to select a webcam called Kinect Cam.

Nothning happens, dude!

"Skype couldn't find a webcam" skype ver. 5.3.0.120

Win 7x64

SDK x64

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:42 AM
  • Ive had no luck either. Any ideas?
    oes this just pick up the RGB camera?
    I have been waiting so anxiously for the depth sensor to be picked up as a webcam in skype and other applications.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:26 AM
  • My Skype is version 5.3.0.111 so I don't think that's the problem. I'm also on Win7 x64. Skype can be a bit temperamental so maybe get it working with AMCap first. You can download it from here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?d=amcap920.zip

Did you get the message "DllRegisterServer in KinectCam.ax succeeded" when you ran regsvr32.exe ? Also, make sure the KinectCam.ax file still exists in the same place as when you ran regsvr32.exe.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Did you get the message "DllRegisterServer in KinectCam.ax succeeded" when you ran regsvr32.exe ? Also, make sure the KinectCam.ax file still exists in the same place as when you ran regsvr32.exe.

yes. i got the message mentioned and yes - the file is on the same place

AMCap captures video from Kinect Cam, but stil can't manage to get the same with skype

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:48 PM
  • upd: i dont know what i've done, but it started to work with skype

thanks man

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Works for me so far :o) (Edit - Win 7 x32, SDK x32, Skype 5.3.0.116)

I had to unplug and replug the kinect usb cable into a different port and then restart skype a couple of times but it got the idea eventually!

The elevation angle is a nice addition, is there anyway to get it to reset to 0 when you stop using the camera?

Cheers

Helen

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Just for you Helen I've added that feature ;-)

I've updated my link in the top post to point to the new version so just go and download it again. Skype hates closing down so you may find when you try to overwrite the previous version you get a "File in use" error. Just run Task Manager, Show processes from all users and terminate those pesky Skype.exe processes then you should be able to replace it.

I've added a new line to the config.ini file so it now looks like this:

[KinectCam]

CameraElevationAngle=-12

CameraShutdownAngle=0

You can either delete the file and it will get re-created with default values or just add the second line to your existing file. For those of you who don't wish to wear out the cogs on your Kinect motors ;-) you can remove one or both lines and the angle won't be adjusted on startup and/or shutdown.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

I tried to register the KinectCam.ax. But it only shows an Error Message telling me that some kind of module could not be found.

Any Ideas?

Ucnet

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Make sure all the kinect drivers are installed, the kinect is connected and that you're running the command window as administrator (I missed the last one first time I tried!)
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Nice response Scott :o)

I saw that about the kinect motors 'not being designed for constant use' which surprises me as my logitech sphere cam checks its full rotation when I boot up!  I'm sure it'll cope with the occasional use ;o)

Besides, when they implement partial body tracking I wont need to reset it each time.... 

Cheers

Helen

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:55 PM
  • I tried this on my Windows 7 64 bit, video works fine, both in amCap and Skype, thank you very much for nice little software! :)

However I can't find anything like "c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\KinectCam\config.ini", looks like it doesn't create it's ini file in my case.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Make sure all the kinect drivers are installed, the kinect is connected and that you're running the command window as administrator (I missed the last one first time I tried!)
    Which Kinect drivers exactly? I'm not really good with coding or anything of that nature.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Is there any way of using the depth camera as a webcam?
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:08 AM
  • MaxMnemonic, the AppData folder is hidden by default. You need to go into Tools -> Folder Options and tick the Show Hidden Files and Folders box.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:10 AM
  • jækeb, I've just started on my second project which is called KinectDepthCam ;-)
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Scott, wouldn't it be difficult to implement some kind of option like "noChange" for tilt control in config.ini? My girl has need to switch the sensor over xbox and pc from time to time and it is necessary to adjust the tilt of the sensor on xbox every time after switching from PC.

many thanks in advance for reply 

Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:46 AM
  • I cant wait!

KinectCam is working great for me now btw:)

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:09 AM
  • PuncheZzz, for "no change" on tilt control, just delete the relevant line from the ini file. So, if you don't want the tilt to be changed on startup, remove the CameraElevationAngle line. If you don't want the tilt to be changed on shutdown, remove the CameraShutdownAngle line.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:59 AM
  • What I'm thinking for the Depth Cam project is to be able to specify a bmp (still picture) and a depth to place that bmp at. So any video closer than the specified depth is visible but anything further away is replaced by the bitmap. So you can specify a large depth value if you want yourself to appear in front of a backdrop for example. Or you could place the bmp somewhere in the middle and poke parts of your body through for some fun!

I'd also like to implement masks in the bmp so you can specify a mask colour in RGB format, e.g. 0,255,0 for a green mask and then anything painted green in the bmp will become transparent so the video will show behind the masked areas of the bmp.

Any other ideas from anybody?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:06 AM
  • I just wanted to report success, too :] Had to restart Skype.exe via Task Manager though. Windows Live Messenger sees the Kinect Cam and microphone array, too.

System: Win 7, x86, Kinect SDK Beta etc.

Any chance to get the source for the DirectShow filter?

Cheers

Mani

Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Could you set different colours to different depths? Or perhaps different Bitmaps to different depths, and have a gradient effect in between?

For example

assign 255,0,0 to 100cm and assign 0,0,255 to 200cm?

or

assign grass.bmp to 100cm and assign blotter.bmp @ 200cm? and grandma.bmp to 300cm?

I'd be over the moon if I could just have the straight feed from both the RGB and Depth cams for mixing together in my favorite VJ software.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

i finally managed to activate the skype functionality. :-) Great work. Just one question. I´ve read in the SDK API that the device can retrun two types pf video stream.

quote:

Image stream can be displayed like with any other camera (for example to do augmented reality). The Kinect video sensor can return a stream with 2 resolutions: one at 640x480 (at 30 frames per second) and one at 1280x1024 (but at 15 frames per second).

is it possible to change the resolution using the .ini file?

UCnet

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:54 PM
  • alrigjt listen guys im not that much of an expert at this but i can follow very good directions and im a good enough computer tech guy so can you make a detialed guide on how this is done and-can this be used in oovoo, o and if you are reading this pls help me because im tired of wasting money on cameras that are so slow!! pls responce and thank you very much in advance...!
     also i already trien that cui nui thingy and i now have the microsoft sdk... if this is any help i also running on win7x64....
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:47 PM
  • The instructions are at the top of the thread. Also, read the second entry for details of the ini file. That's all you need.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:55 PM
  • UCNet22, I tried playing with the resolution but the problem is with the Capture device which only seems to like 640 x 480. I also found the capture device only liked 24 bit whereas the Kinect stream is 32-bit so I just drop every 4th byte! And the image came out upside down so I had to invert it.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:57 PM
  • im sorry i dont understand whats happening here (in the directions)....
    can you also vertify if this works in oovoo? pls

Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:57 PM
  • I have a problem with this... at first I couldn't get this to work at all, but after some messing around with drivers and shit like that I got Skype and MSN to recognize the Kinect Cam and Kinect Mic Array.

Now the mic works fine, the cam only shows this picture: http://www.e2esoft.cn/kinect/images/logo.jpg

and as soon as I press any button in the cam settings it crashes, both in Skype and MSN. Using Windows 7 everything in 64bit.

Any idea what I should do to fix this? I'm getting tired after a whole day of constant headache...

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:40 PM
  • I have the openkinect drivers installed. VC 2010 all good and running. .dll files in system32 folder. I run the install.bat as admin and I get the following error: 

"The module "KinectCam.ax" failed to load. 

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. 

The specified module could not be found. " 

Note: I also tried from the command prompt, still no luck. 

Is it something with windows that I dont have installed? 

Windows 7 64-bit

It seems that alot of people are having this issue was anyone able to resolve this?

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:00 PM
  • I ran the official windows drivers (wich can be found in this thread if you scroll up) and for some reason it didn't work at first even tho I had it installed, so I ran it again and pressed "repair SDK" and it worked a little better, tho as you can see just above your post, it didn't quite work all the way.

Edit: note that I'm not sure exactly what I pressed and so on, but I basically pressed something that said repair.

Monday, June 27, 2011 10:03 PM
  • can you pls wright me a guide if you sucseed which i hope you do and send it to me at angezlock@hotmail.com

pls im begging you..... i have the shittiest cam known to man.....pls help :*\ (crying)

and pls make it detailed if this aint enough.....pls help thnx in advance....

Monday, June 27, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Thanks, Only trouble I've had is it SOMETIMES returns this static like stuff as the camera, a restart usually fixes it, or if i change settings around randomly lol, no idea why it does it...
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:47 AM
  • i downloaded KinectCam.ax and ran cd <path where downloaded> & %windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe KinectCam.ax and i'm getting a dialog that says "The module 'KinectCam.ax' failed to load.  Make sure the binary is stored at the specified or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.   The specified module could not be found".   My workstation is a w7sp1 x64 installation and i ran the command from an administrator command prompt.

Any thoughts on what step i'm missing?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:06 PM
  • If you already have the Kinect SDK installed then it may be the VS2010 runtime that is missing. Download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5555

If it still doesn't work you need to download Dependency Walker from here:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Run it and load KinectCam.ax. This will tell you which required DLL's are missing from your system. If it's MSVCR100.DLL then that's the VS2010 runtime.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:35 AM
  • What ScottOrange posted fixed the regsrv issue!  Thanks!
    Friday, July 01, 2011 1:54 AM
  • i downloaded this vs2010 runtime and i opened up th ax. file then it still says a ? on the file and another on IESHIMS.DLL what should i do???
    Friday, July 01, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Thanks for that Filter! Finally :-)

But one request: could you make it work with google(+) chat too?

I only get a black picture there.

Mathias.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:25 AM
  • never mind, I just started google+ hangout and -after some waiting time- the black picture became the kinect video stream :-)
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:37 AM
  • @frischeDaten et al,

I'm also trying to get the kinect cam to work on google+ hangouts. I have no trouble with skype, but can't seem to get past the black picture either with google+, gchat, or any flash-based webcam application. (The settings in flash often crashes when I select webcam settings, which sees "kinect cam" as an option). 

Any suggestions? Are you sure there isn't some trick to getting it to work with google?

Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:13 AM
  • @ All

Anyone running Windows 7 x64 get KinectCam working? 

I installed VS2010 to fix the MSVCR100.DLL issue and manually installed IESHIMS.DLL.

... still no luck.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:46 AM
  •  

@ All

Anyone running Windows 7 x64 get KinectCam working? 

I installed VS2010 to fix the MSVCR100.DLL issue and manually installed IESHIMS.DLL.

... still no luck.

yeah I have win7 x64, but I have the whole WP7 SDK, Directx SDK and Kinect SDK installed, thus I don't know which Library components are needed in general
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:11 PM
  • @frischeDaten et al,

I'm also trying to get the kinect cam to work on google+ hangouts. I have no trouble with skype, but can't seem to get past the black picture either with google+, gchat, or any flash-based webcam application. (The settings in flash often crashes when I select webcam settings, which sees "kinect cam" as an option). 

Any suggestions? Are you sure there isn't some trick to getting it to work with google?

It does not work for me with gmail chat so far, I get an alert box with asian letters on the top after some waiting.
    But if I start a google+ hangout, I wait 5 sec, then the cam starts the positioning and gets back up, then it positions again and after 10-15 sec overall I get a picture.
    If I enter the hangout, it does that again and I have a video chat running.
    It's like the cam gets initialized twice each time.
    In gmail chat however, the cam does not start positioning at all. (at least at the settings page, I didn't actually  try to chat)

• Edited by frischeDaten Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:22 PM expression
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:18 PM
  • frischeDaten,

Thanks for the reply! I've tried both initiating and joining a hangout, but I'm not able to get the cam to initialize in either case. Still just a black screen, no matter how long I give it.

I'll keep puttering around. 

Thanks,

H

Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:08 PM
  • frischeDaten,

Thanks for the reply! I've tried both initiating and joining a hangout, but I'm not able to get the cam to initialize in either case. Still just a black screen, no matter how long I give it.

I'll keep puttering around. 

Thanks,

H

Did you have tried altering the elevation angle? It's a good way to "see" if the cam/filter does anything.

But I experienced the black screen too sometimes. It once helped to plug the cam into another usb-port.

Sometimes it stucks while performing the elevation procedure, then I have to restart the computer.

You see, It can be anything else but straightforward.

But luckily it works for me.. most of the time.

I use: Win7 x64 and the latest stable chrome browser.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Its weird that you get it to work sometimes. For me, only kinect mic works with hangouts. Both kinect mic and kinect cam work on skype without problems. 

Haven't tried messing with the elevation angle. I'll also try swapping the usb port.  I have an old-ish laptop running Win7 x86, latest stable chrome browser. 

Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Elevation angle immediately changes when I launch skype (no surprise there), no change when I launch google hangout, nor after waiting 5+ minutes in an empty hangout.
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:39 PM
  • It all works nicely for me with my laptop. I just can`t get it to work on the media center, where I wanted to install my second kinect permanently. Any help is appreciated:

- all drivers and SDKs installed on the media center with now issues

- the SDK demos work fine, including video

- the AX file also registered succesfully 

- skype shows the microphone, which works nicely, but it doesnt detect a webcam

- only obvious difference is that the media center is 64bit, laptop is 32 bit OS

- I have tried reregistering the AX, reinstalling drivers, different USB ports, etc.. all to no success

- both systems rund the latest Skype build (...120)

Any ideas how to make the webcam appear in Skype? THX

Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Im thinking if it already recoginizes it as a camera on my computer why do i need the filter when eventually it will recoginize it on its own? Sorry just trying to understand. I thought the driver allows you to access the camera already. I could use the camera already after installing the sdk in other applications by default why is skype different?
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:36 PM
  • tried to get it to work on W7 SP1 32bit. But couldn't get a a pictuire from it. in Silverlight the webcam just displays some random noise and in google+ (hangout) its always black. the angle adjustment seems to work. (the camera moves)

but there's no way i could get a picture from it.

Friday, July 29, 2011 9:57 AM
  • What does it mean "cd <where you put the file>
    Monday, August 01, 2011 5:35 AM
  • hey, thanks for sharing that but I have an issue. So I dowloaded your filter, I installed it and the mic works but not the camera.... I just can see only that :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/captureqn.jpg/

Could you help me ? :) By the way I have Win7 64bits.

PS : Sorry for my english, I'm actually French.

Monday, August 01, 2011 7:13 PM
  • I think the filter is used to get some programs to recoginize kinect but if possible could you make an installer for this file or a script in a zip file with it so I can put it on my computer with just general settings (enough to make it work in most apps but not necessarily all).  I dont understand are you trying to get the depth image to show up in skype? If so i would like to see a picture of it. Why hasnt someone made a drivers setup script or something to change the type of camera mode with the driver? For instance, depth,color, or other.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:59 PM
  • hi, could anyone explain me on a few words, in baby language how to run this .ax file. I'm quiet a newbie but I want to run the  kinect cam for skype, so that my girlfriend can see me. She's already pissed that I worked the whole evening by entering some commands and was too busy to chat with her :P

English is not my first language so I fail already by the simple code "cd "<directory where you placed the file>"

c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe KinectCam.ax" Can someone post a ascreenshot where to enter this code? Maybe with an example (full path?)

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi !

I'm just wondering if that .ax file works on Windows xp sp3 ??

I've already install it on my laptop (windows 7 64 bit) and it works fine and now i wanna try it on my pc and i'm getting the The module 'KinectCam.ax' failed to load.  message...

Is anyone already made it work on Xp ?

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Just tested it and it works and im getting nice hd quality video you should receive money for this idea from microsoft. If you could make your file work in other programs i would buy it like crazy. Its just that I cant get it to work in anything except skype can you revise it for other programs. I want to use the kinect as a security camera because it can take pictures of 4 people at once(if you can rig it that way). The last sentence is just experimental(try it out first). 
    Friday, August 05, 2011 3:07 PM
  • It should work fine on xp too unless the specifications for kinect sdk program specifically say windows 7. But if you get the device drivers working it should work. His module sometimes is a pain in the but for some people/computers and sometimes you do regsrv32 a few times and it reports success. But try typing the command correctly a few times until it says success on registering the .ax file.

Friday, August 05, 2011 3:09 PM
  • fordominique i tryed the KinectCam.ax file. You can still use the run prompt like in xp or search for cmd.exe(command prompt executable name). Then type this once you find and launch the command prompt:

C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32 "KinectCam.ax" <- the part in quotations can be changed  to a different path though. Just make sure Kinectcam.ax is in the same directory as regsvr32.exe and repeatly type this command until you get success.

make sure you launch as administrator
    Friday, August 05, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Thanks very much for your work on this. I am running Windows 7 professional 64 bit. I have Skype but never use it but I wanted to add the Kinect to my security camera software that I use. I already had the perquisites for the SDK package so I installed the SDK then I installed the ax file. I ran my cam software Webcamxp and it recognized the kinect cam but all I got were bars for the video.

I then decided to try it in Skype and it worked great. I closed Skype and reconnected the Kinect in WebcamXP and now it works super. I don’t know why I had to run it in Skype first but it’s working and I am a happy camper. Thanks again.

Friday, August 05, 2011 10:03 PM
  • I'm having some problems, so hopefully giving as much information as possible, somebody might have an idea how to help. I scoured the forums with no success, even though other people have been getting the same problem.

My system:

1. Windows 7 x64

I followed these steps to install KinectCam.ax with no success:

1. Installed VS2010 Express C# Edition from here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-csharp-express
    2. Installed the 64-bit Kinect SDK from here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/download.aspx
    3. Placed KinectCam.ax in C:\Windows\system32 and ran command prompt as admin and ran "regsvr32.exe KinectCam.ax"
    4. I received an error saying "The module KinectCam.ax failed to load"
    5. I continued to read through this topic and one suggestion was that some C++ runtimes were missing so I installed the 64bit ones from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14632 (Note: the ones that ScottOrange linked to were 32bit so I presumed at this point it'd be worthwhile getting the 64bit version instead to match the Kinect SDK.
    6. This didn't fix the issue so I ran DependencyWalker and two DLL's are missing: IESHIMS.DLL & GPSVC.DLL. I tried copying IESHIMS.dll from ProgramFiles/InternetExplorer to System32 and running the command to register the *.ax file again but that didn't work. I also tried the 32bit version of IESHIMS.dll but again it was saying it was missing in DependencyWalker. I've no idea what to do about GPSVC.DLL yet

Any assistance or advice here would be greatly appreciated :)!

Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Tried restarting computer and then run regsvr32.exe? Also, try running a few times moving the KinectCam.ax file. I had mine on my desktop or c drive. Sometimes depending where your testing it may not work. Dont put it into system32 folder unless it wont load from desktop. But for sure make sure if its on your desktop that you cd into system32 in command prompt then type:

regsvr32 c:\Users\Username Here\Desktop\KinectCam.ax

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:46 PM
  • I tried this, and It says "C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

Any help? 
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:31 AM
  • Same problem here.

I have Windows 7 x64 and I'm getting this error: "The module kinectCam.ax failed to load"

Also, I'm getting these errors with Dependency Walker :

Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
    Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
    Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:22 AM
  • @fjavier2k

i've solved the same problem by unninstalling and installing internet explorer 9 from its website, if you have problem with IEShims.dll on dependency walker. After a clean install put the 64 bit IEShims.dll from Program Files (not from the Program Files x86) at the same directory of Microsoft Research and the KinectCam.ax.

It solved my problem.. i think the regsvr was seeing the 32 bit dll for some reason.. in my case.

And don't care about the dependency walker for furthermore, kinect sdk is still on x86 whatever they say, so just continue with regsvr32 if you have no problem but Kinect dll's. it will be registered.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:30 AM
  • I managed to get it working by running the regsrv32 on KinectCam.ax when it was placed outside of System32 :) I am almost 99% sure that it didn't work last week. I haven't rebooted or anything either, so alas...

The cam works pretty well with AMCap but I have had lots of problems getting it recognized with Skype. The first time I plugged it in, it didn't work. A different USB port got it working. As soon as I started the Skype conversation, within about 2 minutes, I got large scan lines over the lens blocking most of the image of the cam. Recalling fixed the problem and I had a great Skype conversation with it. After that I tried calling another friend and I just got white noise again. A reboot of Skype didn't fix it, nor did a reboot of Windows. At the moment AMCap is recognizing my cam but it's completely hit and miss with Skype recognizing the camera. 

I don't know much about how this works, but may I suggest that we put the code for this on github and let some people work on the stability and bugs that are currently present. I'd be willing to spend some time working on this :)

Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:26 PM
  • So cool!

Are you using the Kinect for Windows SDK for the DirectShow Filter?

Can you give an outline how to do it?

Or even share the code?

Thanks.

Monday, August 22, 2011 10:23 AM
  • hi all,
    i see only THIS @skype & AMCap,

pls, i need help...

• Edited by exentero Tuesday, September 06, 2011 5:47 PM
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 9:06 PM
  • I tried this, and It says "C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

Any help? 
    Friday, September 09, 2011 1:29 AM
  • cmd prompt worked but it never created the config.ini file. it said the module was successfully created and i did a search for the file but no dice so im unable to move the cam up and down.

Problem 2 is that Im getting a choppy image that looks its two images being produced but one is to the left and these two images are being condensed into one output. It looks like Im a ghost haha. any ideas?

Monday, September 12, 2011 12:17 AM
  • @fjavier2k and anyone else experiencing regsvr32 issues:

Try running the Sample Skeletal Viewer app installed with the SDK. You run it from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Research KinectSDK or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research KinectSDK depending on whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit system. If it works, you're almost done.

If it did work, copy KinectCam.ax to that same directory and run regsvr32 from there.

Why does it work? Because the sample app has the same dependency on MSRKinectNUI.DLL as the .ax file. So if the sample app can find it then the .ax file should be able to as well.

If it still doesn't work, poke around with Dependency Walker. You can safely ignore any errors about missing the dlls named GPSVC.DLL and IESHIMS.DLL. (Note that those are listed as missing for the skeletal viewer app as well, and it runs just fine -- they are delay-load DLLs that are never invoked.) If you're missing MSVCR100.DLL then download the VS 2010 runtimes from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:48 AM
  • Is there a way to flip the camera? I'm using a different installation so I usually use my webcam flipped horizontal, now my right hand seems to be on the left..

Thanks again for everything.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:49 AM
  • I'm using win7 x64 and skype 5.5. The AMcap can capture the Kinectcam, however most of time skype can't get the camera.(said: skype couldn't find a web camera), meanwhile audio part always working.

I found that, in order to let skype recognize the camera all the times, I have to plug in another video camera.

• Edited by mcoy001 Friday, September 23, 2011 6:02 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 6:00 AM
  • Installed and verified working right off the bat in webcamXP 5.5 — Thanks a million, ScottOrange!

The image is reversed, though.  Do you have a configuration option to fix that?

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:24 PM
  • I installed the filter yesterday, but I am not getting the video to work in Skype. Sometimes it works in AMCap, but more often than not I get multicolor snow static effect. Thoughts?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:23 PM
  • I too am getting the reverse image issue. Is there any way to work out a "settings" for the camera, to define flipping the image, manage the tilt of the camera, etc? Perhaps a way to interface with flash accessing the "camera"? (currently it crashes anytime flash tries to access the kinect.)

that would be AMAZING.

Thanks dude.

Also, how would you UN-register, if you were so inclined?
    • Edited by mix3d Monday, October 03, 2011 3:39 AM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Link is Down, And my Kinect Cam was working Fine on skype Untill Yesterday, Ive Reinstalled Drivers, Everything. No Luck

Fix Link Please, Maybe Mediafire? 
    Friday, October 07, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Wow, lots of interest. Haven't visited this thread for ages. Maybe I should post the source sometime.
    • Edited by ScottOrange Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:44 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:44 PM
  • You don't get that banner from my software so you must still have somebody else's driver installed. From the look of the banner I would guess you got it from e2esoft. Try going to add/remove programs and uninstalling it before trying my driver.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Hi

Thanks much for doing this. I just got it working on my win7 sp1 x64. For anyone else having module load problems, this is what eventually worked for me:

copy these files into the same directory:

KinectCam.ax, c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieshims.dll, c:\Windows\sysWOW64\msvcr100.dll (you will need to install vcredist_x86 to have the last file)

run c:\Windows\sysWow64\cmd.exe as admin.

Run regsvr32 KinectCam.ax

Are there more options in the .ini file  than the elevation angle? Also, any chance of getting the source ... happy to feed back any improvements I make if I get a round tuit.

Thanks

a

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:49 PM
  • hi all,
    i see only THIS @skype & AMCap,

pls, i need help...

nobody have/had this problem? i cant fix it...
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:41 PM
  • if you regsrv the ax file in correctly you can open kinect up as a camera device in skype. I got it working sweetly thanks to the owner of this thread. Make a codeplex page with a simple auto installer for people wanting this fix for their kinect device. maybe throwing in a camera app that can take on taking pictures from skype of multiple targets. for instance, focus on main person closet to kinect device take picture then take picture of other people but have it try if its motion detected. That would be sellable to some schools as a security device or code for a robot that could follow people around and help them.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:19 AM
  • Got this working out-of-the-box.  ¡¡ Muchicimas Gracias!!  2 months ago I had purchased a Kinect camera without an Xbox in the hopes that someone would develop a useful app prior to the release of Win 8.  This justifies my faith.   

The e2eSoft KintectCam  mentioned in some of these threads uses the OpenKinect drivers, which work OK for testing the functionality of Kinect with Win 7 or Ubuntu Linux, but are probably a dead end given the Release of the Windows SDK by Microsoft.  All the apps that I tested using the OpenKinect drivers were "interesting" but not ready for prime time.   I did not have to uninstall these drivers to get KinectCam.ax working.   I did have to install the Kinect Win 7 SDK to get the requisite drivers for KinectCam.ax.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:48 PM
  • I just installed kinect windows 7 sdk and did as the thread owner said and it worked. make sure you read up to his fifth post were he corrects an error he made and gives the correct regsrv code.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Maybe I should post the source sometime.
    Would be awesome.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Wow, lots of interest. Haven't visited this thread for ages. Maybe I should post the source sometime.

That would be great!
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:12 PM
  • has anyone got this to work with expression encoder would love for the thread owner to help get expression encoder support with his file. I cant seem to get the filter to make the camera show up correctly in expression encoder. it displays static most of the time or doesnt recognize the kinect.

BTW, this thread should be stickied since its getting long and everytime a change happens it goes but to the top of the list.
    • Edited by The Thinker Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:20 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:18 PM
  • I had it working, but then i swtiched what USB port it was on and now i just get fuzz... tried re-'install' but still not working. Any ideas?

On Windows Dev preview Build 8102

Friday, October 28, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Any updates on the Source code?

I guess we are all eager to look at it :)

Thanks.

Saturday, November 05, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Any chance of any update? This doesn't seem to be working with the Beta 2 SDK.
    Monday, November 07, 2011 5:37 AM
  • I have done as the OP wrote, everything is a success EXCEPT that Skype cannot recognize the cam. Windows Live Messenger does however (the Kinect adjusts and i can see "KinectCam" in settings, problem is, when I enter settings, Windows Live Messenger stops responding. Every time. Same with AMCam, I can start the program but it instantly gets "Stopped responding"

So, the drivers gets installed, the .ax install through regsvr32 is success, but Skype can't find came, MSN gets error "Stop responding" along with AMCap.

Sample Skeletal Viewer works perfectly though.. I can see myself perfectly. So what can be wrong?

Thanks in advice.

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Ok. Here's my issue. I did all of that, every step, and everything works. However, when I try to load the KinectCam in AMcap, it immediately closes. I decided to look to see WHERE the issue arises. And it does so with the MSVCR100.dll file. That file crashes it. I've reinstalled C++ Red, as well as copied and pasted the MSVCR100.dll into the folder that contains the KinectCam.ax file. None of it works. I think it picks up the camera, but something about MSVCR100.dll is making it crash. ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

maybe you are looking for a problem in the wrong place. I had trouble to, but everything installed fine. Gave it a try in GraphEdit. The filter could be added with no problem, it even connected to a screen renderer and automatically inserted a color space converter as intermediate filter. But when i pressed the Play-Button to see a Picture it crashed the "want to debug..." foo, showing some useless pointer adresses. Maybe this helps finding the bug...

PS: AMcap crashes at startup. I have a x64 system with beta2 kinect sdk.

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:08 PM
  • hi, ive basically had the same problem as most people, i can see myself on the skeletal viewer and no other programs will work but that! All it shows as is static, and half of the time the program crashes on startup, skype being one of them, nothing shows up on skype and i want this to work so i dont have to go out on but a real webcam.

PS: x64 system with beta 2 sdk and VC 2010

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Until an update it is broken. 4. Migrating projects from Beta 1 After installing this SDK, you should recompile your apps before running them. Existing app binaries are not guaranteed to keep working. To migrate existing C# projects to this SDK, you should remove and re-add the reference to Microsoft.Research.Kinect.dll. To do that, in the Solution Explorer find the Microsoft.Research.Kinect under References, right click it to remove, then right-click on References to Add Reference. Click on the .NET tab to find Microsoft.Research.Kinect. To migrate existing C++ projects to this SDK, the Inc and Lib paths need to be updated to the new locations. Replace $(MSRKINECT)\inc and $(MSRKINECT)\lib with $(KINECTSDK_DIR)\inc and $(KINECTSDK_DIR)\lib\x86 respectively. To convert an existing C++ project to use the 64-bits support enabled in M3, do the same steps as above but use amd64 in the lib path instead of x86, i.e. $(KINECTSDK_DIR)\lib\amd64. You will also have to change any other library paths in your project to point to the 64-bit versions.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Until an update it is broken. 4. Migrating projects from Beta 1 After installing this SDK, you should recompile your apps before running them. Existing app binaries are not guaranteed to keep working. To migrate existing C# projects to this SDK, you should remove and re-add the reference to Microsoft.Research.Kinect.dll. To do that, in the Solution Explorer find the Microsoft.Research.Kinect under References, right click it to remove, then right-click on References to Add Reference. Click on the .NET tab to find Microsoft.Research.Kinect. To migrate existing C++ projects to this SDK, the Inc and Lib paths need to be updated to the new locations. Replace $(MSRKINECT)\inc and $(MSRKINECT)\lib with $(KINECTSDK_DIR)\inc and $(KINECTSDK_DIR)\lib\x86 respectively. To convert an existing C++ project to use the 64-bits support enabled in M3, do the same steps as above but use amd64 in the lib path instead of x86, i.e. $(KINECTSDK_DIR)\lib\amd64. You will also have to change any other library paths in your project to point to the 64-bit versions.

If you get the time, PLEASE make this update...  Thank you!
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:24 PM
  • can you recompile the code for this file with the kinect sdk beta 2 installed?
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt.
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Now updated to KinectSDK v1.0 Beta 2:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7bwfep71evGMDBlYTcyMzYtMTRhMy00YzI0LTg2OTctMjUzOWEyYjAxNzYx&hl=en_US

I've also updated the link on the original post.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Hi All,

It took me a while to get this working and The main things I found were:

Place the kinectCam.ax in the c: directory (you can make it hidden if you want it neat looking like I do)

When plugging in the USB you MUST make sure that it is the only thing plugged into the hub.

If you have a tower with 4 usb's next to each other - this is one hub.

If you have 2 USB's next to each other - this is one hub.

Same goes for Laptops, If there are 2 USBs next to each other, they tend to be 1 x hub.

If you install the KinectCAM.ax and it says successful, then that is in a good place.

If you still cannot see the camera picture in any program then unplug all your USB devices and only plug in the Kinect.

Then try to acquire the camera feed in Skype or MSN or whatever other program you are using.

Once you have the feed you can then start plugging your other devices in remembering to leave the Kinect in it's own hub. (I used the USB on the front of my tower as 7 out of the 8 USB's on the back are being used)

Hope this Helps Peoples. 

Happy Kinect-ing.

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Ok, so, for Windows 7 64bit users, here's a note. If you placed your KinectCam file in the samples/bin folder in the Microsoft sdks/Kinect folder, make sure when you go to run the command lines in command prompt, you use "Cd\program files (x86)" and not "cd\program files\". It made a difference for me, and now mine works. Cheers.

Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Just one more thing,

Can you put an option in to flip the image as no matter what I do, all the feed is reversed...? :/

Sunday, December 11, 2011 12:06 AM
  • only getting 10 fps,, skeletal viewer gets 30.. is this the directshow driver or am i doing something wrong? Used amcap and vdub for capture - seems the source is 10fps. Cheers.
    • Edited by Hammerer Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:09 PM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:07 PM
  • So I got everything installed and Skype recognizes the camera. When I look at it in the skeletal viewer, everything looks good and even when I look at it from Skype it looks ok, until I make a call. At this point, I get a distorted image with horizontal green bars across the screen. I've updated all my drivers and all the required SDKs, so I'm not sure what the issue is here. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:08 AM
  • After a few minutes of a Skype call, the Kinect image gets distorted (almost as if it's zoomed way in).
    • Edited by Elija Hart Friday, December 23, 2011 4:58 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 4:38 AM
  • I've finally gotten everything to work... for the most part.

The only problem is when i start a video call, i get a bunch of lines going through the video feed. Outside of the call, everything seems fine.

Any ideas?

Ive tried this with the kinect, my laptop, and my iphone, and i only have the issues with the kinect cam.

Thanks

Monday, January 02, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Idk if im just reading this wrong. But idk what to put in my CMD prompt to get it to register. My Kinectcam.ax file is on my desktop C:\users\john\Desktop\Kinectcam.ax

If Someone could help me out and tell me what to exactly put in the CMD Prompt it would help greatly. TY 

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:39 PM
  • I've just stumbled upon this and have to say, +1 to you, Scott.

Works fine for me. I simply followed the instructions and now my Kinect will work as a web cam in multiple applications including ManyCam and Windows Live Messenger.

I'm using Win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1 - fully updated.

Friday, January 06, 2012 2:15 AM
  • It seems you are running the 64-bit version of Windows. Put KinectCam.ax in c:\windows\syswow64 and run regsvr32 there in an elevated command prompt.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:28 PM
  • Great Work ScottOrange!   After making sure I placed the ax file into a Windows32 compatible folder(?), I registered fine (C:\Windows\system32) does not work on Win64 systems....conflicted DLL perhaps ?)

Anyway, lots of comments about flipped images but sadly, no answer yet.  I also have a flipped image with Skype and would liek to know if there is a way to configure/correct that ?

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Hey Scott Great work Mate,

I was just wondering if you knew if you could get the plugin to work with the Adobe player. I have been trying to use it on Chatroulette and Youtube and although in settings it can pick up the Audio and the KinectCam no video is displayed.

It works fine with Skype and facebook video(basically skype)

Just a thought if you have time

kin regards

Cathal

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:22 PM
  • If anyone has the MSRKINECTNUI.DLL, how can I install it manually? Per dependency walker, it is all I am missing. "Error: At least one required implicit or forwarded dependency was not found." I am trying to run it off the new SDK v.1 Everything else works fine, tracking, skeleton, depth, sample viewer, etc., I'm just trying to get the pc to recognize it for skype. Can you also upload it or email me the .dll?
    • Edited by jobzombi Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:51 PM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hey man since no-one replied and i was wondering if anyone had replied to mine i found it in my heart to locate and upload the file your looking for. It really should be on your pc already ^^ well here it is anyway :P http://db.tt/8vS7cHLw
    Friday, February 03, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Here's what I did (it worked!):

*** I have Windows 7 X64.

*** I tried the dshow capture filter at http://www.e2esoft.cn/kinect/ but all it did was display a logo screen. Trying to change any of its filter properties just caused it to crash :-(

Step 1) Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/overview.aspx and download/install the latest SDK.  At the time of writing, it is version 1.0.3.190 and the file is KinectSDK-v1.0-Setup.exe. It is 226MB! It is does not contain MSRKINECTNUI.DLL or KINECTSQM.DLL.

Step 2) Then I installed the Visual Studio 2010 runtime from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5555 . If you have VS 2010 you can skip this step.

Step 3) Go to https://kinectcpp.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/install/ . Download KINECTSQM.DLL and MSRKINECTNUI.DLL and place them into C:/KinectCam.

Step 4) Downloaded KinectCam.ax from the links posted by ScootOrange: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7bwfep71evGMDBlYTcyMzYtMTRhMy00YzI0LTg2OTctMjUzOWEyYjAxNzYx&hl=en_US . I put in in C:\KinectCam . To install it, I clicked start, then right clicked on "command prompt" and selected "run as administrator". Type "cd C:\KinectCam" (press enter), then "regsvr32 KinectCam.ax" (press enter).

Step 5) Download AMCap to test it: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?d=amcap920.zip .

Yay! Video!

--luke

Friday, February 03, 2012 10:04 PM
  • I followed all them steps but skype still does not recognise it, it shows up on AMcap fine, it has worked a few times but most of the time it dont work, anyway to get it to properly work permanently because its a pain

Email: daniel_littlechild@hotmail.com

Cheers

Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:13 PM
  • danboi94: good point... lol!  I falsely assumed that since it worked in graphedit and amcap that it would also work in other apps.  The whole reason I wanted to set it up was to use a software app that i wrote using directshow and also google+.  It doesn't work with either :-(  In my app it crashes and on google+ I just get a black screen even after waiting several minutes. Sometimes directshow can be such a PITA.
    Monday, February 06, 2012 12:35 AM
  • now it's just outputting "white noise" but i know the camera is connected fine because it works perfectly with amcap and graphedit.
    Monday, February 06, 2012 2:38 AM
  • It happends to me too is their a way to get it to work with microsoft apps scott too? Because IIIskywalker has the same problem as me in other apps then the ones mentioned over and over again seem to show white noise or is their a way to fix that?

The apps that work:

AMCAP

skype in most instances but not all!

graphedit

i wonder if a filter file was made for kinect sdk commerical version because if you still have beta 2 installed you dont need to do your instructions above IIIskywalker.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:36 PM
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Does anyone here know how to fix the v1 RTM problem?

I used to have the beta 2 and just used the kinectcam.ax file and it worked excellent on Skype and WLM. But back in  1st feb I changed   too the v1 software and everything just stopped working. I get the Binary error thing

If someone have a solution other than Skywalker's(didnt work either) I would gladly appreciate it:)

Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hi Im running on 32 bit windows, took about 5 hours of trying to get it registered but finally did it, only problem is my camera displays white static on MSN, Skype and Amcamp. Is there an easy fix for this?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:50 PM
  • All the command prompt stuff worked, but now I cannot get it to work in any program, including amcap. When I open it there, I get "Unable to add the video capture source to the filter graph". Any suggestions?
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:37 AM
  • I've now updated KinectCam.ax to use the Kinect for Windows SDK v1.0. Please download from the link in the first post of this thread. If you still have the Beta 2 SDK installed please follow Microsoft's instructions to remove it and upgrade to the non Beta version.

I have also fixed the camera picture so it is no longer flipped. For those of you who prefer a mirrored image, i.e. how it used to be in previous versions please add the following line to your KinectCam config.ini file:

FlipImage=1

The config.ini can normally be found here:

If you delete the file it will get re-created with all the available settings including the new FlipImage setting.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:01 PM
  • I've now updated KinectCam.ax to use the Kinect for Windows SDK v1.0. Please download from the link in the first post of this thread. If you still have the Beta 2 SDK installed please follow Microsoft's instructions to remove it and upgrade to the non Beta version.

I have also fixed the camera picture so it is no longer flipped. For those of you who prefer a mirrored image, i.e. how it used to be in previous versions please add the following line to your KinectCam config.ini file:

FlipImage=1

The config.ini can normally be found here:

If you delete the file it will get re-created with all the available settings including the new FlipImage setting.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:02 PM
  • I try to open the video in amcap it works fine but in skype and expression encoder it acts like its going to die on me and i havent got it loaded in skype. If im using an xbox kinect does it take it awhile to load in v1 sdk in skype?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:09 PM
  • The kinectcam does now work for my with amcap, but skype cant load any image, there is just a black screen with a loading circle.

Also flash applications crash for me now at websites which use webcam features.

im on windows 7 x64 and use the XBOX360 kinect, SDK 1.0
    • Edited by Kimarusa Monday, February 27, 2012 1:41 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Me too I only got the xbox kinect to work once with skype but it acts like it loads in my skype now and does the same in expression encoder. But I actually got it to at least load in expression.

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:10 PM
  • The kinectcam does now work for my with amcap, but skype cant load any image, there is just a black screen with a loading circle.

Also flash applications crash for me now at websites which use webcam features.

im on windows 7 x64 and use the XBOX360 kinect, SDK 1.0
    the same here, just that i have the kinect for PC
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:46 PM
  • First off, Scott, thank you for all the continued hard work on this little project mate. It made video conference calls with the dev team I was working with in China great!

I'm having some of the same issues everyone else is with this. I had it working fine with SDK Beta 1. Just installed 7x64 as the previous project I was working on in the 32 bit enviro is done. I can't seem to get the Kinect to work in Skype or MSN at all. I've tried uninstalling the new SDK and reinstalling it as well as the drivers. Multiple reboots and still AMCap works great but no love for Skype or MSN.

It should be noted that every now and then I get a black screen with the loading circle going round and round but it never brings up video.

Also, upon initially attempting to install the KinectCam.ax I received the dll errors. Then after trying a few times moving it to different file locations it finally registered. Thought that was a bit odd.

I'm using Skype 5.5.59.124

W7x64 All up to date
    Kinect SDK (latest version)
    Xbox Kinect
    KinectCam.ax is registered in the root of C:

Hope this info helps figure out what's going on with this.

Again, thanks for all the hard work on this project Scott. MS should get with you to implement the code into their projects for Kinect!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:23 PM
  • If scott figures out this problem it might actually work with most normal camera applications! Im excited! Scott keep up the great work! Remember to fix the problem mentioned above because I think if you do this then this component could have great potential.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Hmm, yes it no longer seems to work with Skype :-(

I can't figure out why not so I think the best thing to do is post the source and see if some of you clever people can work it out. Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7bwfep71evGOTlpN3dNQ1dRSnVSMjZkdlpWSy1MUQ/edit

This contains the C++ source and the Visual Studio project files. After clicking on the link select Download from the File menu in Google docs.

Let me know how you get on. Good luck !

Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:00 AM
  • I too have trouble using the Kinectcam.ax with the 1.0 production sdk in Skype.  With a lot of trial and errors I figured it may have something to do with Microsoft disabling/crippling the support of Xbox360 Kinect in the production 1.0 sdk (as they stated in release note, only Kinect for Windows is supported). 

I reverted back to the beta2 sdk and ScottOrange's previous version of Kinectcam.ax and got it to work as webcam again in Skype.  

Thanks for the great work, ScottOrange!  Do you think you can backport the corrected image flip feature to the prior version that works with the beta2 sdk?  I am only looking to use the X360 Kinect as webcam and it nice array mic.  A webcam setting dialog for the flipimage/camera angle would make it complete for my need.

RyN

Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:52 AM
  • One backported flipImage enhancement coming up:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7bwfep71evGdXhHV0lsZXpRbU9UeWhfN3pidVpMZw/edit

There you go ;-)

Make sure you rename the file back to KinectCam.ax

Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:41 PM
  • BTW, even with this version I found it initially didn't want to work in Skype but don't worry, I've found a solution to make Skype work again. Just kill any Skype processes then go to this folder:

%appdata%\Skype\shared_dynco

and delete file:

dc.db

Now start Skype and go to Tools -> Options -> Video Settings and Kinect Cam should be working again.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi, Scott,

Just tried out your new version with flip with the beta2 sdk.  It works fine in the video settings screen in skype.  However, when a call is connected, the image sent is distorted.  I can lines from different parts of the image interlaced together in the transmitted image.  I checked the old version of Kinectcam.ax and I realize the same problem is there also during call.

I am running in 32-bit W7 environment, don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

RyN

Monday, March 05, 2012 1:59 AM
  • What is the license for this software? Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:34 PM
  • I'm having the same issue RYNG has. During a skype call the video gets distorted and meshed very strangely. Would love a solution!

Running W7 x64

Friday, March 09, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Scott i noticed has anyone  tryed to redownload the ax file and rename dll and then register it and see what happens? Im going to see if i can work out the problem with v1 source code since above on my windows 7 machine. Looks like com components are registered and you use avmovie if i remember in your source which i remember seeing this when i went to the directshow filter forum which they have now:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdirectshowdevelopment/thread/f714c094-3e8d-4130-880b-ac06fc81c49f

I noticed amcap code is included with the windows 7 sdk maybe you scott could get the video code for capturing the video data from it and replace inside your code? It looks like you were on the right track by initializing the com component but somewhere you messed up something because if you had it one hundred percent correct then it would work in all apps but amcap code might hold the key!

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Thanks for your work Scott!

I got it working few times, but it is super unstable and I can't use it on a daily basis.

Since you have the most experience with your creation Scott, can you let us know how stable is KinectCam on your system? Does it reliably work in Skype, or do you need to restart skype, re-plug Kinect to a different USB port all the time as most of us here?

I am wondering if I want to invest more time in this at this point, like re-compiling the filter on my system, or wait for someone smart, like you Scott, to make it more stable.

Many thanks in advance,

Vladimir.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Scott here is a link i've got to the  microsoft direct show filter forum in which i asked the pros their what you could do to improve the filter if anything. It seems you need to set some options to have it come out in a specific resolution. How about you change the resolution after reading the thread to a specific one so it will work better in a program?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdirectshowdevelopment/thread/b00b6a80-f0d7-46e5-8439-65e4a67a6679#b22770ba-ad01-430e-ae6e-52c94d93c633

Monday, March 19, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Scott please check the link above because i've got an answer their above for your question and i even asked him how we could go about setting camera settings with the filter like kinect angle and such but please make changes suggested and repost the v1 source and file again! that same guy also is in the wdk forum which develops device drivers so he develops drivers also so he knows any limtations or wrong ways to go about coding the filter.

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:55 PM
  • I am getting the following error in Win 7 ultimate when trying to register the file:

Friday, March 30, 2012 5:00 PM
  • I get the same error as JCKateya on  Win7 Home Premium, Kinect for Windows SDK v1.0, Skype fresh from their site today.

bkg

• Edited by bkgray1 Sunday, April 01, 2012 4:43 PM
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 4:42 PM
  • It appears somewhere in code you needed to set the subtype also for a certain variable and you didnt so im working on it but it appears you just made a few mistakes if im going off the directshow thread above.

I will upload source but can you please tell me scott about how you setup your include statements?

Scotts clearly got his kinect and filter level code seperate and their both throughly commented if you wish to modify the code to do what you want it to do. Scott make my modification and I think it will work but other then that you need to check kinect code and follow instructions from my link above in which they code filters like yours. If kinect code is correct then I would say your best answer to fixing it is in link above because he clearly knows extactly what hes talking about.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, April 03, 2012 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Oh, there we go, this worked excellently! Thanks a lot!
    Friday, April 13, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Are you write filter for new SDK? When you finish DirectShow filter for SDK v1.0? Please do this for us.I can not use this filter with my v1.0 Error:

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:19 PM
  • I'd run dependency walker on it to see what .dll dependencies you are missing/don't have installed.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:15 PM
  • I tried using your KinectCam.ax, but it didnt work for my purposes. But now when I try to use SDK beta 2 alone, my Kinect doesn't seem to connect, is their any way this file screwed up the drivers?
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:21 AM
  • Scott i have looked at the v1 code and it does work! I got it working after some playing around with the code in vlc but it looked like a mess up vcr tape because it had some wavy lines through it and it worked in amcap fine. Please take a look at my thread above scott ive posted for v1 which tim has clearly said that it is an inefficency in the configuration of the filter is why its not working very well. I have almost got it working once by using his suggestions. P.S. on my blog below I will post information about my kienct projects and any improvements i help anyone else make on theirs. Also, scott since you use a windows live id to login here why not login to codeplex with your windows live id so you can make some money off of people just visiting because the ads are cpm(cost per impressions) which means its based off of views and not clicking the ad. In addition, you can imform people of updates and allow them to faster upload an patch for your  filter and post updates so v1 can work.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 1:51 PM
  • scott please update v1 code using help from link i've given above because after v1.5 comes out people will be using it or v1 instead of beta 2 which can only be used for educational purposes.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:44 PM
  • @@@@@@Skyping my missionary for Mother's Day. Would like to on new Vizeo TV with Kinect instead of Mac, so he can see more of us. HOW TO?

I do not see the weird end that the Kinect has on my Mac or new TV. He cannot use Video Connect. How do I do this, since I can't download the PC deal you @Scott created. I tried to see if it would work from laptop to TV tonight nada. HELP!!

I have a mac with skype and built in webcam, xbox and kinect, new vizio tv with wifi and apps including skype.  also have a USB creative web cam. I would really like to use the kinect and the tv so the whole family could sit and talk, not pass the laptop. I would also like  to record this, as it is the only phone call until Christmas and only a few extended family members will be here. Please give me some ideas. I really cannot afford to go buy the Vizio webcam, or any for that matter. eldermatthill.blogspot.com

Skyping my missionary for Mother's Day. Would like to on new Vizeo TV with Kinect instead of Mac, so he can see more of us. HOW TO?

I do not see the weird end that the Kinect has on my Mac or new TV. He cannot use Video Connect. How do I do this, since I can't download the PC deal you @Scott created. I tried to see if it would work from laptop to TV tonight nada. HELP!!

I have a mac with skype and built in webcam, xbox and kinect, new vizio tv with wifi and apps including skype.  also have a USB creative web cam. I would really like to use the kinect and the tv so the whole family could sit and talk, not pass the laptop. I would also like  to record this, as it is the only phone call until Christmas and only a few extended family members will be here. Please give me some ideas. I really cannot afford to go buy the Vizio webcam, or any for that matter. eldermatthill.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:59 AM
  • well i run cmd as admin, i put the command c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe Kinectcam.ax    and not works kinect in skype. i only can see this image http://www.e2esoft.cn/kinect/images/logo.jpg

anyone helps me? excuse for my english but i'm spanish.

i have installed the last sdk drivers and not works :S i have w7 x64

In skype and kinect, skype crash when i try to configure webcam

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Any particular reason why I'm not seeing the Kinect SDK beta2 under installed programs like the SDK 1.5? I try to run the installer for beta 2 but it says it's already installed. The green Kinect light is flashing, but Skype doesn't detect the microphone. Also having trouble with the kinectcam.ax file getting the same error as other people

Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Scott or The Thinker

I really like this innovation,  I have some ideas on how we can build on this innovation and integrate with other technologies to make something great. I used to be a software developer in my past life but now work in finance world so I am the "ideas guy" now......

naeeve at gmail.com

• Edited by naeeve Friday, June 15, 2012 3:05 PM more detail was added
    Friday, June 15, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hello,

I need some help! I first downloaded this about 6 months ago when the 1st beta was out and after some troubles, I got it to work. well I am back to this with a new computer.

I downloaded the sdk beta2 64x and installed, then I followed the directions of copying the KinectCam.ax file over to Documents and use the cmd prompt in admin mode to set it up. I recieved a successfully added message. I plugged in the Kinect and all of the drivers successfully installed. Then i started Google+ and the config file was created and the mic works and Google+ gives me the option to use KinectCam as my video feed and I do.  Although video never shows.  If I try to do it again but first change the angle, the kinect does change its tilt when i start Google+.

I am running Windows 7 64x, and I used sdk beta2

The most curious thing to me is that when i unplug the kinect and plug it back in, it says the camera driver failed to install.

Thanks, Davis

Friday, June 15, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Hi Scott,

I spent some time with the code and managed to get it to compile using version 1.5 of the SDK. My coworker and I have the webcam now working for us, so I though I'd share my results. We are running windows 7 64bit with the latest 1.5 release of the SDK.  I'll note we also use the PC version of the Kinect, not the Xbox Version.

Below is the a tiny zip file that has the AX file separate:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByXD_GzwAt6BVFpwdVA2UzA0Q0U

And here is a link to my edited project files. I decided I might pick this up and try to maintain it a bit, since we are likely going to start using the kinect more regularly at my job.
    https://github.com/wildbillcat/KinectCam

Hope you all enjoy.

• Edited by wildbillcat Friday, June 22, 2012 5:35 PM Edited link for project files to point to github page, versus having to update a zip-file on google docs.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:33 PM
  • God bless you, I've been fighting with this for a few hours now at least, your ax file was the last piece to my puzzle (and Scott's dc deletion technique). You guys are awesome. That is all.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:59 AM
  • guys check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYkddnrcSQ0

I had to format my pc once and reinstall the all with c++ express (download link below)  ,beta 2 etc and it worked.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-csharp-express

you need to remove opni nite etc or thisn wont work. hdd format is reccomended for those facing error problems.

first install c++ express

then install beta 2 then follow instructions in the video from youtube.

I would love to have face tracking on skype with kinect used as webcam.

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Hey, my problem is still existing.  I have attempted this on 4 different computers and re-installed Windows 7 on 2 of them, still to no avail. (2 dif 64x and 2 dif 32x computers).

This worked for me with the original beta.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Does someone just have an install file for the original beta and the earlier version of KinectCam.ax?????

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

PLEASE REPLY IF YOU HAVE THOSE, OR GIVE ME IDEAS!!!

I would love for this to work again.

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:57 PM
  • [RESOLVED] I was able to resolve this issue by enabling the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the compatibility settings for Skype.exe.

Running Xbox Kinect, Skype 5.10.0.116, Kinect SDK 1.5, on Windows 8 RTM, and the latest build of KinectCam.ax found here.

Hope this helps,

Patrice

Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:56 PM
  • If anything is untrusted it is this thing, first of all it pretty much fails unless you're lucky and second.. why does the latest release want keyboard-access? This thing has keylogger all written all over it.

Ok bring on the gazillion not-so's but i, and new users shouldn't either, trust this thing as far as you can throw a 747.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:17 AM
  • Burk their is an offical template called vcam on the directshow forum made by what looks like an microsoft employee and from looking at the code its just setup for a video stream.  Most filters have to follow that and its very hard in a filter to request keyboard access and keyboard receive events are just not possible or very difficult to do in a filter.  I have verified the source of the code above and can tell you without a doubt in most instances it is SAFE. Especially scotts code which i can verify works as intended no pun and bring some microsoft guys to verify and certify it (after some work is improved for v1.5) if you like.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Thanks for your job.

Can i run it on my win7 32bit SDK1.5 ? Or could you  please tell me how to compile it into a 32bit version.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:42 AM
  • hey there,

I have had this working before, but not to the same instructions as you put in your readme file.
    I just upgraded the SDK to 1.6 and reinstalled the kinectcam.ax

NOW, all i get is your logo, flipping when trying to access the camera on skype. 
    Went onto a call with my friend, and thats all he could see aswell.. A Logo fliping upside down and back to normal at a stupid rate of speed. 
    Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:55 PM
  • I vouch for what The Thinker says... I have downloaded, compiled, and modified Scott's code for the filter and there are only a few classes with very little code there so it's very easy to see that there's no malicious stuff like keylogging going on.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:45 PM
  • I don't know for sure, but it might be because of the different SDK version that you're using?

Scott built his for SDK beta 2. If you scroll up, wildbillcat built one for SDK version 1.5.  I've built with 1.5 as well, but haven't had a chance to update to 1.6 yet.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:55 PM
  • I don't know for sure, but it might be because of the different SDK version that you're using?

Scott built his for SDK beta 2. If you scroll up, wildbillcat built one for SDK version 1.5.  I've built with 1.5 as well, but haven't had a chance to update to 1.6 yet.

I'm using Windows SDK 1.6.0.505 and this working fine for me.  wrote this for 1.5, but this filter working on 1.6.

I've Windows 8 x64.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:02 AM
  • I'm using kinect sdk version 1.5(and kinect for windows) and the kinectcam.ax doesn't work.

I have grey screen in cam configuration in skype.

I work on seven x64.

any ideas???

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:14 AM
  • I have grey screen in cam configuration in skype.

any ideas???

I had same problem. You have to plug out your Kinect and plug in another USB port. Also, you can try reinstall filter.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:50 PM
  • I tried this setup in Microsoft Expression Blend and it sees the Kinect as a webcam option, but when selected the program crashes.

It also crashes when using the Kinect's microphone array. So I'm thinking that the Kinect just doesn't want to play well with that program.

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:26 AM
  • Has anyone built a version of this that works with the latest SDK (1.6) and the latest version of Skype (6.0.0.126)?
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 3:07 PM
  • I could make it work using Kinect SDK1.5, the KinectCam.ax published by wildbillcat , and Skype 5.11.0.102 Beta

Hope this wil help

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:01 AM
  • I create solution in C#/.NET 2.0, binary files you can find at Kinect for PC and Skype means KinectCam @ .NET Rulez! Blog it works on Kinect SDK 1.6 and on new Skype :). Do you think it is usefull?
    • Edited by Piotr Sowa Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:49 PM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Worked flawlessly. You just might have to caps lock on the "Run as Administrator" part and make sure to not have Skype app open.

Otherwise, it worked wonderfully.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Is there any way to control the motor (tilt) using the C#/.NET 2.0, binary files posted by Piotr Sowa? I set it up and all is working, I just need to tilt the camera :-)
    Friday, July 05, 2013 7:01 PM
  • So the Kinect works great now, thank you; but I'm having a different issue.  Now my integrated webcam has stopped working.  Whenever I select my integrated cam in Skype, I hearing the tone for hardware connected followed immediately by the tone for a hardware disconnect.  It then re selects the Kinect cam, even if the Kinect is not plugged in.  Does anyone know if there are any special steps to re-enable the old camera?

Thanks in advanced!

Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Scott,

First and Foremost thank you very much.  I was able to get this working with little problems.  However, I do have a few questions for you.  I plan on using my Kinect as a webcam for Skype that will constantly be on my newborn's crib.

1) I have been unable to get the angle function to work.  When I put a negative value in, nothing happens.

2) Are we able to zoom?  I have the add on that allowed you to play in a smaller space, however, that doesn't seem to be doing anything when connected to the computer.

3) I thought that the infrared lights would help see baby in the dark.  This is not the case.  Any ideas?

Once again thank you so much for the help!

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:55 AM
  • No problem. Glad you were able to make use of it.
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:55 PM