none
How to determine what carashed Visual Studio?

General discussion

• I have an add-in to Visual Studio to print the source code in color. The add-in , when installed on end user machine, causes the following crashes. A number of users have reported this kind of crash.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH
      Application Name:                             devenv.exe
      Application Version:                           11.0.60610.1
      Application Timestamp:                     51b52140
      Fault Module Name:                          clr.dll
      Fault Module Version:                        4.0.30319.18052
      Fault Module Timestamp:                  5173c26b
      Exception Code:                                  c0000005
      Exception Offset:                                0016daa8
      OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.27
      Locale ID:                                             1033
      Additional Information 1:                  0ae3
      Additional Information 2:                  0ae33d25c0480b902a0cc1134f323937
      Additional Information 3:                  ef90
      Additional Information 4:                  ef9093aa424ee7d0136340dd12ff3cc2

How do I go about debugging a crash like this?

Regards,

Joginder Nahil
    www.starprinttools.com

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Joginder,

- The first step is to determine if the problem is 100% reproducible for your end users executing a known set of steps. If not, the problem is really hard (a random failure with a poor or missing stack trace).

- Once the problem is reproducible on their side, try to reproduce it on your side. Here the main problem is if their source code is required but cannot send it to you. If you can reproduce it, you can debug it. If not, you have to send them some build with logging, etc. that gives you enough info to locate the problem.

Some known causes of crashes that I have seen in these years are:

MZ-Tools: Productivity add-ins for Visual Studio: http://www.mztools.com. My blog about developing add-ins: http://msmvps.com/blogs/carlosq/

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Hi Carlos,

Thank for that. The problem is that (user just told me now) that the above crash in VS occurs if they start using my add-in to VS without reboot.

I will find out how to ask the user to reboot after install (as you know I use Innsetup and it must possible!). I feel it is not nice to ask for a reboot!

I would have though that the add-in runs in a separate space and it should not be possible for any add-in to bring down Visual Studio?

Regards,

Joginder Nahil
    www.starprinttools.com

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:33 PM
  • A machine reboot should not be required by an add-in setup. Add-ins can be even installed with VS running.

An add-in can definitely crash Visual Studio. During the VS 2010 betas (due to bugs in the WPF-based commandbars fixed in RTM) an add-in could even kill VS without any message.

MZ-Tools: Productivity add-ins for Visual Studio: http://www.mztools.com. My blog about developing add-ins: http://msmvps.com/blogs/carlosq/

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Hi Carlos,

Thank you for that. These crashes are in VS 2012. 

As you know users download and try VScodePrint Add-In and then decide to buy if it meets their requirements. My worry is that if the add-in brings down VS I will not be told I would have lost a possible sale.  

I had couple of users who went though VS re-install before they contacted me. They were not very happy about their experience (understandable). I just can't ignore these crashes. I would have thought that Microsoft can give me some clues based on the dump above. The dump shows the offset in clr.dll?

I did contact Microsoft, they want me to submit paid incident. I am not too happy to pay for a crash to be investigated in Microsoft product.

Regards,

Joginder Nahil

www.starprinttools.com

Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:29 AM