none
SQL Server 2008 R2 re-installation does not proceed past Setup Support files installation (x86 Windows Server 2008 SP2)

Question

• I've been asked to assist our support desk with a SQL problem.  System is Win2008 SP2 (x86), customer originally had SQL 2008 Express for our application, but their data had grown to the point where they needed to upgrade to SQL 2008 R2 Express to take advantage of the increased database size limit.  This is what I understand the sequence to be:

1. Customer attempted to upgrade to 2008 R2 and failed.
    2. Customer then attempted to upgrade to 2012 and failed.
    3. Our support staff intervened and uninstalled all SQL components.
    4. Support attempted to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, and the installer stops doing anything after the Setup Support Files have been installed.  No error is displayed, no errors appear to be logged that I can see.

We tried repairing the .NET Framework via Programs and Features (both .NET 4.0 and 3.5 SP1), no luck.  We uninstalled both versions of the framework and rebooted after each one, then re-installed the framework(s), and still are unable to get the SQL installation to proceed any further.

Can anyone out there provide some insight or suggestions?  The customer has been down for at least a couple of days now as far as our application goes.

Dennis

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:38 PM

Answers

• When I had our support person run the whoami /priv, a bunch of the privileges came back as being disabled, despite the fact that the Local Security Policy indicates the user has the rights via membership in the Administrators group.  My support tech was logged into the system as the local Administrator account.  She was going to go into Local Security Policy and explicitly grant the Administrator account the rights, log off, then log back in.  After that, if the SQL install won't go, I don't know what else to do.

Friday, September 13, 2013 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please make sure the WMI is consistent. Please run the following command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

Make sure you get the message “WMI Repository is consistent".

If WMI is consistent (and you mentioned you already reinstalled .NET Framework), then perform a manual installation of SQL Server. There could be some remnants left from previous installations. Please read the following thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/6cd63fae-f602-4536-ad28-c72a219afac0/total-uninstallation-of-sql-server-2008

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Hi DenMori,

In addition, when you want to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, there are some notes to be considered, you can review these points.

1. As we known, cross-architecture upgrades (32-bit to x64-bit) are not supported. The SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (32 bit) should work under Windows Server 2008 SP2 (x86) after an upgrade.
    2. In order to avoid some wrongs in updating process. We need to set the expectation for the worse possible scenario and rebuild our server. For example, I suggest taking full backups of our databases before upgrading SQL Server. Meanwhile, we should verify the databases are good when we backup and restore them to a TEST server.
    3. We also need to note the system requirements before upgrading SQL Server 2008R2 Express

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Support has verified WMI Consistency using the command described above.    I forwarded them the instructions for scrubbing the system and registry of all SQL traces which they were going to be doing while the server was not in use (they are west coast, we are east coast), they are going to reboot the server afterwards, and attempt the sql installation again after the reboot.  If it was unsuccessful, I will advise

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:15 PM
  • I verified that this was not a cross-platform upgrade (we don't support those either), and that the server met the minimum requirements.

I pray that rebuilding the server is not required, as this is a hosted solution; our group supports a specific application on the server, and the other apps on the server are mission-critical.

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Hello,

Please keep us posted.
    Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:20 PM
  • No luck, the sql installer makes like its installing the setup support files, but never presents the next screen, but doesn't throw an error either.  I'm not sure what else to do, and our window of opportunity for today will be closing shortly.  I pulled the logs that were created, but I didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

Anybody have any bright ideas?? 

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Hello,
    Please verify the Windows account installing SQL Server has the following user rights:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000257

You can use the following command to verify that:
    C:\> whoami /priv

Run setup with the “Run as Administrator” option.

Make sure the disk is not encrypted or compressed.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:45 PM
  • When I had our support person run the whoami /priv, a bunch of the privileges came back as being disabled, despite the fact that the Local Security Policy indicates the user has the rights via membership in the Administrators group.  My support tech was logged into the system as the local Administrator account.  She was going to go into Local Security Policy and explicitly grant the Administrator account the rights, log off, then log back in.  After that, if the SQL install won't go, I don't know what else to do.

Friday, September 13, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Hello,

Group policies at the domain level (or site level or OU level) overwrite local polices …

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, September 13, 2013 7:23 PM
  • The customer eventually elected to have a new system provisioned and their data migrated over, so this is closed without the problem actually having been solved, which is frustrating.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:57 PM