none
Outlook 2013 - The macros in this project are disabled

Question

• I am pulling my hair out trying to get some macros that I wrote for Outlook 2007 and used for the last 5 years to work in Outlook 2013.  I'm working on a new machine with Office 2013 Home & Business 2013.  First I learned that 2013 does not come with the "Digital Certificate for VBA Projects" program, and there are no instructions on the internet for creating a self-signed certificate.  I installed the "Digital Certificate for VBA Projects" from an old disc and was able to import the my macros and sign them in the "Visual Basic" editor.

No matter what I do in the Trust Center I cannot get the message "The macros in this project are disabled" to go away when attempting to play the macro from within the VB editor.  From outside the editor, attempting to play the macro yields no action and no message.  I've tried every macro security level, and restarted in between each option change.

Any ideas on this would be amazingly helpful.
    Any help on creating self-signed certs in Office 2013 would be great as well.

Thank in advance

• Edited by rLogic Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:07 AM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:58 AM

Answers

• It should be included to the Click2Run edition too. The How to use Outlook's VBA Editor article states the following:

In Outlook 2013 “click to run”, users will find selfcert at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15

With any Office version, if you use 64-bit Windows and 32-bit Outlook, selfcert will be in the 32-bit Programs directory.

• Marked as answer by rLogic Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:59 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:47 PM

All replies

• Found the solution - by accident.

After repeatedly opening and closing outlook, I was finally presented with a "Trust this Authority" window when opening the Visual Basic window.  Once trusted, the macro started working.

This was a frustrating step in the previous versions of Outlook - now even more seemingly random.  There should be a dialog for trusting certs in the Trust center.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:28 AM
  • Hello rLogic,

> First I learned that 2013 does not come with the "Digital Certificate for VBA Projects" program, and there are no instructions on the internet for creating a self-signed certificate.

You are on the wrong avenue. You can read more about this in the Digitally sign your macro project article. If you open the page, you may see in the upper right corner that the same steps are required for Office 2013 applications. Also you may find the Signing your own macros with SelfCert.exe article helpful.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:12 AM
  • Eugene,

> You are on the wrong avenue. You can read more about this in the...

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately the pages you provided don't apply here.  As I mentioned, the 2013 Office package does NOT come with the "Digital Certificate for VBA Projects" SelfCert.exe script, which both of these articles are referencing.  Both of these articles depend on a script that is not available unless you have upgraded from office 2010 or earlier.

• Edited by rLogic Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:05 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:04 PM
  • rLogic,

On my machine with Office 2013 installed I see the selfcert.exe utility in the following folder installed:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15

Please take a look at the Office 365 Home Premium: selfcert.exe? forum thread.
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Eugene,

What version of 2013 are you running? I assume you are running Premium as your link suggests?

I am running "Office Home and Business 2013" and my installation does not include that file.  I've also attempted to re-run the installation to check if the file was possibly not installed the first time, however when I run setup the "One-Click" background installation starts, runs, and completes without a chance to change any options.

I read the thread but they are referencing Home Premium and the path they suggest does not exists on my machine.  I just performed a search for SelfCert.exe and found nothing on the machine.

It seems that this feature is now reserved for the "Premium" package, which just seems stupid.

• Edited by rLogic Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:40 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:36 PM
  • It should be included to the Click2Run edition too. The How to use Outlook's VBA Editor article states the following:

In Outlook 2013 “click to run”, users will find selfcert at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15

With any Office version, if you use 64-bit Windows and 32-bit Outlook, selfcert will be in the 32-bit Programs directory.

• Marked as answer by rLogic Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:59 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Eugene,

You are right - I'm not sure why that file was not found when I searched for it in the explorer, but now that I've re-installed the package I see it in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 folder.

Thank you for your help with this Eugene!

Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:59 PM