compilers

General discussion

• does anyone have any idea how to create a compiler for C and C++ using Visual C++ 2008 Express edition? If so, please reply.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 8:12 PM

All replies

• Ideas like that are documented in compiler books, usually available as computer science textbook.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Quote>anyone have any idea how to create a compiler

Finished the operating system already? <evil grin>

You might get some ideas here:

Let's Build a Compiler
    http://compilers.iecc.com/crenshaw/

You might also consider sharpening your searching skills.

- Wayne
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:18 AM
  • let me rephrase what I said: I'm wanting to create an IDE for the following programming languages: C, C++, C#, Visual Basic, Python, Java, and Assembly. btw, the purpose with this is to make it easier to build my OS. tnx 4 listening.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:43 AM
  • Nothing particularly wrong with grandiose plans.  And writing your OS and IDE are as big as they come.  Problem is, you just can't expect anybody in a forum to keep up with you.  You're on your own to architect this.  Please don't hesitate to come back when you have a problem actually implementing it.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:50 AM
  • For C/C++ Take a look at the GNU compiler. It is open source (Mind you it is shipped under the GNU license. So, read the fine print if you're writing a commercial and closed source app)

Take a look at xacc ide. It is an open source IDE, and supports compilation of .NET languages.

Also, there is a List of compilers, that you might want to take a look at.

Best regards, Rajesh R Subramanian.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:52 PM
  • its not commercial. its just for the construction of my OS.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

I think the Visual Studio Extensibility forum is more specified for this question, sounds the Visual Studio SDK is what you need('MyC' and other sample in it), but you must have Visual Studio 2005/2008 Standard Edition or above installed, Visual Studio Express Edition has no ability to create custom compiler.  Please post to Visual Studio Extensibility forum if you need help.

Sincerely,
    Wesley
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:40 AM