none
You could be September's TechNet Guru! Turbo charge your CV with awards and interviews! Get noticed!

General discussion

• Give us some juicy technical content and we might big you up!

It really is that simple!

Show us your forum solutions or drop us some nifty snippets and become MICROSOFT TECHNOLOGY GURU OF THE MONTH!

This is an official Microsoft TechNet recognition, where people such as yourselves can truly get noticed!

If you spend any amount of time crafting an awesome answer to a forum question, or just learnt something new, then why not get the most back for your efforts, by posting it to TechNet Wiki.

1) Please copy over any solutions and revelations to TechNet Wiki.

2) Add a link to it on THIS WIKI PAGE, so we know you've contributed

3) Every month, we will highlight your contributions, and select a "Guru of the Month" in each technology.

If you win, we will sing your praises, similar to the weekly contributor awards, however once "on our radar" and making your mark, you will probably be interviewed for your greatness, and eventually even invited into other TechNet/MSDN circles!

Either way, winning this award in your favoured technology can only be very good for your career! ;)

Feel free to ask any questions below.

Thanks in advance!
    Pete Laker

#PEJL Got a good solution? If you invest your time in coding an elegant/novel or large answer on these MSDN forums, why not copy it over to our beloved TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from!

• Edited by XAML guy Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:36 PM typo
    Sunday, September 01, 2013 8:45 PM

All replies

• We'll sticky this for all of September. Good luck, everyone!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 10:53 PM
    Owner
  • Can anyone enter?

Maybe when i get better/Actually have some sort of helpful article i'll enter.

Good luck to all who may enter! c:

Saturday, September 07, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Yes, anyone can enter. You don't even need to think of something original or Earth shattering.

If you so much as answer a forum question, then why not just write it up neater on the wiki with reference to the original thread. 

Even if you find a solution in the forum that really helped you. I believe it would be very reasonable to write up an article referring to the original solution, but explaining it better, or in more depth and context. The very fact you were searching for a solution and found it on a forum means it hasn't been significantly written about on TechNet wiki, which is a more SEO friendly than forums. Like saying this is something I needed. I found the original idea here, and here is my final implementation of it, rounded up into a nice article, kind-o-thing. We have "wikiers" who trawl new articles for plagiarism, but if you refer to source and it significantly expands on the original code/solution, that's a great way to start IMO.

At least two of the five judges in EVERY category are experts for that technology, from Microsoft. So a win each month does actually mean something when building a reputation in these MS circles.

So I wish you and obviously everyone else good luck each month. It is incredibly hard in some popular categories to choose a winner, while other categories are slow to gain momentum, but the competition is reaching a wider audience each month.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL Got a good solution? If you invest your time in coding an elegant/novel or large answer on these MSDN forums, why not copy it over to our beloved TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from!

Sunday, September 08, 2013 9:08 PM
  • I would like to take part this month.

But I have some uncleared questions:

1. Is it ok if my contribution is no forum answer? It would be a useful snippet for everyone who use SmallBasic.
    2. I read the main page you linked in your main post. But I do not really understand how I can contribute. I know that I must link my TechnetWiki-article to the page. But how?
    3. Which technologies do you mean? Web for example? Or something like WPF?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen Timo Greetings Timo

Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Can anyone enter?

Maybe when i get better/Actually have some sort of helpful article i'll enter.

Good luck to all who may enter! c:

If you answer anybody's question, you can turn it into a Wiki article!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:25 PM
    Owner
  • I would like to take part this month.

But I have some uncleared questions:

1. Is it ok if my contribution is no forum answer? It would be a useful snippet for everyone who use SmallBasic.
    2. I read the main page you linked in your main post. But I do not really understand how I can contribute. I know that I must link my TechnetWiki-article to the page. But how?
    3. Which technologies do you mean? Web for example? Or something like WPF?

1. Yes. Even a useful snippet is good. We just target the forum answers because it's really easy to turn an answer into a Wiki article.

2. Just create your own Wiki article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/add.aspx

Then just paste in the link to your new article in the Small Basic section of this page: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19494.technet-guru-contributions-for-september-2013.aspx

To add your link, just click the Edit tab at the top, scroll down to the Small Basic section, and paste in the link to your article.

3. It can be for any of the technologies on that page, including WPF and Small Basic. Just paste in the article in the correct section!

Thanks!

Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:29 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Ed. I contributed. :)

Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:04 PM
  • I will definitely be putting some of my SB IDE++ documentation on the Wiki. I look forward to entering this contest!

P.S. Mr. Price did you get my email regarding SB IDE++? I have a feeling it could get caught in your spam filter.

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:46 PM
    Answerer
  • I will definitely be putting some of my SB IDE++ documentation on the Wiki. I look forward to entering this contest!

P.S. Mr. Price did you get my email regarding SB IDE++? I have a feeling it could get caught in your spam filter.

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Gungan, I did not get the email. I'll look for it. Thanks!

Add your Wiki article when you get it done!

Thanks!

Monday, September 16, 2013 6:17 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Ed. I contributed. :)

Great, thanks!

Here's Timo's article, our first Small Basic article in September:

SmallBasic | AutoUpdater Snippet by Timo Sö  

Monday, September 16, 2013 6:18 AM
    Owner
  • We have 3 articles so far with 10 days to go!

Friday, September 20, 2013 11:45 PM
    Owner
  • Two more days to go! Any last minute entries? =^)

Still it's the three articles submitted. Anything from Gungan or 8Bit Pony?

Thanks, everyone!

Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:57 PM
    Owner
  • Not his month, sorry. :P Lets hope next month, though!
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:07 AM
  • When do you tell us, who won?

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:27 PM
  • When do you tell us, who won?

Typically around the 10-15th of the month. It takes a few weeks to get all the judges to chime in.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:57 PM
    Owner

• Mit freundlichen Grüßen Timo Greetings Timo

Typically around the 10-15th of the month. It takes a few weeks to get all the judges to chime in.

Thanks!

Alright! Thanks for your answer. You should add this to the main post.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:32 AM
  • Good idea Timo.

I have updated this month's post, so it will be carried over to future months from now on.

By the way, if you are a member of any user groups, please make sure you list them in the Microsoft User Groups Portal. Microsoft are trying to help promote such groups, and collating them here is the first step.

Regards,
    Pete

Friday, October 04, 2013 11:51 AM