performance tools freezing notebook in visual studio 11 beta

Question

• I have a notebook with a i7 nehalem processor. Profiling under VS 2010 works fine. Under VS 11 beta, when i use the start performance analysis menu option, i get a question that says it is unable to open the profiler driver and whether i should upgrade the credentials of my user account. Saying yes then gives elevate prompt and right after that the machine locks up mouse doesnt move. Sounds like an old bug in 2008 but maybe not.

Things to note: running Windows 8 beta (consumer) and upgraded from windows 7 which had vs 2010 installed. No other issues and its very consistent.

Can anyone help?

Neil

Saturday, March 03, 2012 4:14 AM

All replies

• Since we have no the same hardware to test and try to ensure if the problem can repro every time in the same hardware environment.

So can you share us the screenshot images to record what happens at that moment on your computer?

And if it has error or others prompt, the system event log would be help you logged something, so you can try to find some clues from the event log. Please also share the event logs complete information to us if you cannot solve it your self.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, March 05, 2012 8:20 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.

What about this problem now?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue. What I'm doing is building the Bullet Engine (an open source physics engine) from source code and running one of the applications outside the debugger. I then attach the visual Studio profiler to this process and Windows 8 freezes. I also have Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Visual Studio 11 Beta. The event viewer has no errors related to this. Is there a bug filed for this already?

-Timo

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Same thing is happening to me. IBM X220, W8 Consumer Preview. I can give you more info if needed.
    Monday, June 04, 2012 11:46 PM