Deploying a VB.Net application with SQL database

Question

• Ok, this is is a new experience for me. 

In the past I have used text and csv files to store data that gets used in a desktop app.  Now I am migrating an app to use a SQL database.

If I want to export the compiled app, Do I need to make sure the user has SQL installed on his machine?  Or will the compiled app grab the necessary files to run the app with the datafile?

I am working with VS 2010.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:58 AM

Answers

• Yes

No

Doesn't matter

Yes

Read my post below.

SQL Server CE just requires a few small dlls to be installed as part of the app installation.

• Marked as answer by mgfranz Friday, March 16, 2012 3:39 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:54 PM

All replies

• Will there be multiple instances of your application, all accessing a single instance of the database, or will the configuration be something different?

The best solution to your question will depend on the details of the configuration, so please supply the details.

In any case, your application will require that the host system have SQL Server installed. This can best be accomplished by adding a check for SQL Server in your deployment project and a conditional install of SQL Server (Express, I would think) if not found.

If you have further questions or need detailed help, the forum dedicated to your topic is here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/threads

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:13 PM
  • An SQL database exist from two thinks, the lorry and the trailer. The lorry is the SQL database software and the DBF file the trailer, you can supply that one in VB Express with using the special connections string for a file. (In real SQL servers the DBF has to be added to the database using the tool for that).

The end user can use SQL Express software for free but every end user has to download and to register it himself.

Success
    Cor

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:16 PM
  • If the app previously used text files then SQL Server CE should be more than adequate.  In which case it can be distributed with your app and the end user need do nothing more than install the program.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:28 PM
  • basically what i want to do is use a SQL dbf as a data file for my desktop app.  This app will be ran from a stand-alone machine that at this time does not have any SQL engine installed.  Is this possible without installing a standalone SQL install?  Or do I need to go back to the idea of using a sequential flat file instead?

What if a client doesn't have any database engine installed?  No Access, Excel or SQL?  Can I still make calls to a data file?  Other than a .csv or .txt?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Yes

No

Doesn't matter

Yes

Read my post below.

SQL Server CE just requires a few small dlls to be installed as part of the app installation.

• Marked as answer by mgfranz Friday, March 16, 2012 3:39 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Excellent, I already have CE installed! 

Thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:39 AM