none
Sprints and work item states

Question

• Let us say that we have a work item and the work item will have tasks for functional specs and programming.

Does the work item get approved after the functional specs have been written?

Does the work item get committed after the sprint has started?

I am a little unclear of the order.  I believe that the functional specs are part of the sprint, but how can the development team give a work estimate without specs?  How can we decide what goes into a sprint without a work estimate?

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Nickrapa,

Regarding “committed” for the product backlog items, this means that the implantation team can deliver this product backlog item during this sprint. This should be the first step of the sprint when the implementation team add the product backlog item to the sprint, and create the needed tasks with the estimation to deliver this product backlog item. And if their capacity that can cover the estimation, then they can mark it as “committed”.

And for the functional specs, you have three options:

• You can totally ignore it, as the scrum guide has nothing related to this document.
      https://www.scrum.org/Scrum-Guides
    • Usually the functional specification used in the waterfall processes, and it needs from 2 to 4 weeks, which is the duration of the sprint  by scrum guide, so you can create one sprint to complete this document, and for the next sprints you will have a clear tasks to implement.
    • Make the functional specification related to the sprint, and in this case it should be a very small and brief document that related to the tasks in the sprint. Even with this the estimation should be clear when you start the sprint

This is just based on my knowledge and experience with TFS and Scrum.

Hope this has helped you

Regards

----------

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by nickrapa Monday, September 30, 2013 12:39 PM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Nickrapa,

Regarding “committed” for the product backlog items, this means that the implantation team can deliver this product backlog item during this sprint. This should be the first step of the sprint when the implementation team add the product backlog item to the sprint, and create the needed tasks with the estimation to deliver this product backlog item. And if their capacity that can cover the estimation, then they can mark it as “committed”.

And for the functional specs, you have three options:

• You can totally ignore it, as the scrum guide has nothing related to this document.
      https://www.scrum.org/Scrum-Guides
    • Usually the functional specification used in the waterfall processes, and it needs from 2 to 4 weeks, which is the duration of the sprint  by scrum guide, so you can create one sprint to complete this document, and for the next sprints you will have a clear tasks to implement.
    • Make the functional specification related to the sprint, and in this case it should be a very small and brief document that related to the tasks in the sprint. Even with this the estimation should be clear when you start the sprint

This is just based on my knowledge and experience with TFS and Scrum.

Hope this has helped you

Regards

----------

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by nickrapa Monday, September 30, 2013 12:39 PM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Hi Nickrapa,  

Thanks for your post.

For this issue, Samara provided us the helpful suggestion, please confirm that.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 30, 2013 2:24 AM