How do I change the default programming language?

Question

• How do I change default language in Visual Studio 2005?   

When Visual Studio starts it display information about C++, but I would like to change this to C#
    Monday, April 25, 2005 10:12 AM

Answers

• Use the Import and Export Setting Wizard:

1. Choose Tools -> Import and Export Settings...
    2. Select Reset All Settings and click Next
    3. Select whether you would like to save the current settings and click Next
    4. Select the settings you want to use and click Finish

HTH

David Kean
    Monday, April 25, 2005 10:18 AM

All replies

• Use the Import and Export Setting Wizard:

HTH

David Kean
    Monday, April 25, 2005 10:18 AM
  • Thank you very much :-)
    Monday, April 25, 2005 1:21 PM
  • Jakob, if your still listening could you go back and mark David's reply as an answer to give him credit?
    Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:17 PM
  • YESSS!!!!  Sounds silly but I've spent the last 4 hours trying to figure this out...  THANK YOU!
    Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:45 AM
  • Thanks David

I was spent a day to do this reset operation.

Thanks

Madhav

Saturday, December 31, 2005 12:47 PM
  • Was this helpful?! Man, you have no idea! Like some others, I've spend precious time to find that (simple) action. May be an idea to include a small button on the start page that says: "Change default language"?

Friday, April 07, 2006 11:21 AM
  •  MattontheNet wrote:

Was this helpful?! Man, you have no idea! Like some others, I've spend precious time to find that (simple) action. May be an idea to include a small button on the start page that says: "Change default language"?

I vote for this too. A littel button on the start page would be very helpfull....

Stephan

Monday, April 10, 2006 6:56 PM
  • Thank You

I spent over an hour going through the help files trying to reset my start pane setting.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 12:59 PM
  • Me too!
    Monday, May 08, 2006 2:16 PM
  • This was very helpful.

But in the process i get the following errors:

Error 1:  Projects and Solutions: Unable to import property 'ProjectItemTemplatesLocation' because it contains invalid data '%vsspv_visualstudio_dir%\Templates\ItemTemplates'.
    Error 2:  Projects and Solutions: Unable to import property 'ProjectTemplatesLocation' because it contains invalid data '%vsspv_visualstudio_dir%\Templates\ProjectTemplates'.

any clues about this?

Thank you.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:27 PM
  • This tip solves another problem that i have with open file dialog to add image to button and/or imagelist. The VS 2005 was hanging before showing this dialog. After  this steps the dialog are showing normaly.

Thank you !

Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:51 PM
  • Ouch, I just tried that and a crash report was sent to Microsoft...
    Friday, June 16, 2006 2:11 PM
  •  David M. Kean - MSFT wrote:
    Use the Import and Export Setting Wizard:

It seems there alternative way of switching the default language without defaulting ALL your settings:

2. Select Import selected environment settings and click Next
    4. In the Which collection of settings would you like to import, select the language you would like to switch to and press Next.
    5. Check, then un-check All Settings to clear all items.
    6. Expand General Settings and check New Project Dialog Preferred Language.
    7. If you want to also import keyboard shortcuts, expand Options, then Environment, and check Keyboard.
    8. Click Finish

Friday, June 16, 2006 2:27 PM
  • I did it and it worked good...but when i'm selecting the settings, there's some with a Warning icon with the message

"Some categories may contain settings that could compromise the environment or your computer and data"

when i imported a C# setting on the Start Page , the MSDN windows keeps showing "Visual Basic", but the "getting started" subwindow shows C#....there's really not a problem for me 'cause is just text...but is that a bug or a bad setting or something wrong?? cause it would be awful that the environment or something else fails just because i change some settings

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:09 PM
  • Do you know how I do this in VS2003 by any chance?
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006 9:05 AM
  • A while ago I blogged about this because someone was complaining that he could not see the solution. I have screenshots on my blog:

Friday, December 15, 2006 9:42 PM
  • I would like C# too.
    Saturday, January 06, 2007 2:02 AM
  • Dear All,

To say or not to say - this is really should have been helpful to several others too. Well it helped me too. What I do is, the moment I got any problem like this I try to find it in usual way based on my  current knowledge and If I see I'm spending too much time like 5 min or more
    then I immediately search the web (google and msdn.microsoft) etc.

This post is helped me in the same way

Thanks

Regards
    Ashok

Saturday, January 06, 2007 2:10 PM
  •  

I just started started using Visual Studio 2005. This has really helped me.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:18 AM
  • 1st thing... You should not do this while you have a work in progress...

Close all solutions/projects first... it more SAFE.

Tho i never had problems, but its normal you can mess upo things when you try to do several things at the same time.

Anyway The MSN  window allways says "......." (the prefered version Selected) but if your importing a C# setting it is normal that you see some texts related to C#... like you said its just text, advertisment/hep text Smile

I don't think u will find any bugs in code because of that

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:15 PM
  •  the post helps me....thank you...keep it up !!..
    Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:23 AM
  • thx a lot
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Thank u for your commend
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:35 PM