How to enable the Wireless Zero Configuration startup type

Question

• Hi guys, posting this question on behalf of a customer. I hope one of you can help him with his problem.

"Hi Microsoft,

Where can I look up information on how to enable Wireless Zero Configuration startup type ?

I need to enable this service using a batch file.

I have found information over the net to enable the services using  “net start wzcsvc”.

However I can’t find any information on setting the startup type for wireless zero configuration.  

Any help on this topic ?

Thanks !"

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:38 PM

Answers

• Please try "sc config wzcsvc start= <boot|system|auto|demand|disabled|delayed-auto>".

Type "sc config /?" for the help message.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• Please try "sc config wzcsvc start= <boot|system|auto|demand|disabled|delayed-auto>".

Type "sc config /?" for the help message.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:52 PM
  •  

you can configure WZC in your desktop by following some simple steps:

1) type  services.msc in "run" and enter.

2) select wireless zero configuration from the list which appears in the next window.

3) doble click on that option , and do whatever setting you want to do..

Plz reply if that post is helpful to you . And I am stuck in one problem , plz look into this.

• Proposed as answer by ocean_wilde Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:22 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2007 8:54 AM
  • I am trying to enable WZC in my laptop but i cant.. I'd tried these but it didnt work.. Somebody knows what I should do??

Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Nawneet,

This was the correct procedure to turn on the WZC.  After double clicking on the Wireless Zone Configuration entry, my computer immediately began loading all the files & my wireless system began to work.  I have the linksys antennae and it works very good.  I hope this helps others.  Rangermc

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:40 AM
  •  nawneet wrote:

2) select wireless zero configuration from the list which appears in the next window.

Plz reply if that post is helpful to you . And I am stuck in one problem , plz look into this.

Thanks a lot! I've been trying to get this new wireless card to work for months, all it needed was for the WZC to be Enabled. Again thanks for the tip.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 11:47 PM
  • I can get WZC working by entering services.msc in "run", then right clicking on WZC, and clicking start.  But I need to do this everytime I reboot my pc.  Any ideas how I can fix this?
    • Proposed as answer by EDSCHMITT Monday, April 26, 2010 4:41 PM
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 12:46 PM
  • Thank you so much. This really helped Smile
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:30 PM
  • I have lost my Wireless Connection although my cabled connection is fine. I have made sure that I "tick" the check box to "Use Windows To Configure My Wireless Network Settings" but my computer will not accept this setting anymore. It worked fine for months (if not years) but is now saying "if you want Windows to configure this setting, start the Wirleess Zero Configuration service"...........

I have tried to find out what this WZC thing is all about and followed your advice but to no avail.

Both my Router Supplier and my Internet Service Provider say it is an issue with Microsoft but how do I get them to help resolve it?  Any ideas?

Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Thank you for your help, I done the steps and my wireless network is working..

Regards from Monterrey, Mexico

Saturday, February 09, 2008 5:15 AM
  • what is your OS? Are you Running SP2 on it if it's XP / is it home/pro or business? what is your Router Brand/Model? I've found that simple surfing on the Knowledgebases takes you a long way.

I'll check back to seeif you've replied to this and see if I can help. Have had some similar symptoms with WZC, but got it figured out. This happened with my Linksys WIFI USB controllers.

Peace Out Pal.

J.A.

Certified PC Advisor

...and if you need to write to me, use Author at hotmail
    Monday, February 25, 2008 2:46 AM
  •  Cathy Dumas - MSFT wrote:

Hi guys, posting this question on behalf of a customer. I hope one of you can help him with his problem.

"Hi Microsoft,

Where can I look up information on how to enable Wireless Zero Configuration startup type ?

I need to enable this service using a batch file.

I have found information over the net to enable the services using  “net start wzcsvc”.

However I can’t find any information on setting the startup type for wireless zero configuration.  

Any help on this topic ?

Thanks !"

Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:31 PM
  •  

ineed help on how to enable the WZC
    Monday, March 10, 2008 11:24 AM
  • i don't come on this site ever, but somehow found my way to it. thanks for the help. such a simple step to make my puter connect to the wireless sig again. thanks so much!

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

I get exactly the same problem each time I reboot my computer. Most of the time after I click "Start" it doesn't actually last very long and I have to go through the procedure multiple times in a session.

Did you get this problem solved yourself, or can anyone else help me?

Thanks very much!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:56 PM
  • I have a Dell, XP sp2 but updating to sp3 right now. Do you know why WZC just stopped working? I never had to manually start it before, it just worked but now i have to run services each time i start my computer. Thank you.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:56 AM
  • I am trying to install a wireless USB adapter, I went into the services.msc and wireless zero configuration does not appear in the list, does anyone know how I can fix this?

Mike

Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I followed your steps and that did allow me to connect my son's computer to our secure network but he still can't get onto any websites.

Help!
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Your problem sounds very similar to mine. A few months ago the wireless receiver built-in to my laptop stopped working, and I got a 3rd-party wireless adapter to plug into the USB. It was tricky to set up but I was able to get it working by clicking the box "use windows to configure network settings." For a few weeks prior to today I was able to do it, but after the most recent download from Windows Update, it stopped giving me that option. I tried starting the WZC tool but to no avail, it wouldn't even let me start it.

I was thinking i might have to uninstall the driver for the wireless USB adapter, but without that driver, i won't be able to connect to the internet! please help...email me at ieatsuka@gmail.com if you have tips, thanks.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:16 AM
  •  

I was annoyed for quite some time when I didn't know how to auto-connect to my network when Windows booted.

I did these steps:

1. Type "services.msc" in Start/Run

2. Find and enter the "Wireless Configuration"

3. Change the Startup type to "Automatic"

4. Problem solved (at least for me :D)

Thanks for the help :]
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Thanks, this was the most helpful and the easiest answer to follow, and it worked!
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Hey thanks nawneet ur ans helped me in fixing the Wireless Zero Configuration issue, I was unable to connect to my wirless network automatically, but now i can.

Just type
         1.  services.msc in run command
         2.  Go to Wireless Zero Configuration properties
         3.  Go to Startup type & change it to automatic, Apply then OK.

thats it..
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:30 AM
  • I am trying to install a wireless USB adapter, I went into the services.msc and wireless zero configuration does not appear in the list, does anyone know how I can fix this?

Mike

I am having the exact same problem with a D-link USB Wireless N 300 USB adapter.  Did you get a solution?
    Monday, April 05, 2010 12:19 AM
  • I cant find Wireless Zero Configuration in the services list. Every time i start up my computer the connection is lost, and I have to replug my wireless usb device to the computer again to make it work. The Services.msc still doesn't show Wireless Zero Configuration in the services list. Please help to solve this problem.

Wireless Zero Configuration Not In Service

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 6:40 PM
  • I cant find Wireless Zero Configuration in the services list. Every time i start up my computer the connection is lost, and I have to replug my wireless usb device to the computer again to make it work. The Services.msc still doesn't show Wireless Zero Configuration in the services list. Please help to solve this problem.

I am having exactly the same issue that you are Suncoast. I have a Dell imension 2400 running XP home SP3. I recently bought a wireless N usb adapter with a netgear wireless router. I have had much difficulty in try to get an internet connection over this connection, as I get the message windows cannot configure this connection. I run services.msc and there is no wireless zero configuration to start! I did find a download file for WZC somewhere on the internet but when i tried to DL it I was told that my service pack is newer than the DL and that I didn't need it... Where can I find the WZC file to download for xp home SP3 as it is not in my computer?
    Friday, April 09, 2010 4:39 PM

I am having exactly the same issue that you are Suncoast. I have a Dell imension 2400 running XP home SP3. I recently bought a wireless N usb adapter with a netgear wireless router. I have had much difficulty in try to get an internet connection over this connection, as I get the message windows cannot configure this connection. I run services.msc and there is no wireless zero configuration to start! I did find a download file for WZC somewhere on the internet but when i tried to DL it I was told that my service pack is newer than the DL and that I didn't need it... Where can I find the WZC file to download for xp home SP3 as it is not in my computer?
    Friday, April 09, 2010 4:41 PM
  • This was the simplest fix suggested and worked like a wonder.  Thanks for taking the time.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:59 AM
  • This has just made my Saturday. You are one cool dude! So much fannying around for the past 8 hours to extend my wireless network using an 'MS unsupported' Dynamode dongle . . . contact hardware supplier (per MS!) All bs :) If we could find our way to this answer hundreds of man-hours would be saved by guys like us, all with the same headache. Once again, you have what it takes.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Well, this site has made my day.  I'm helping a friend with setting up home network and all was well until I tried to get her husbands desktop on line with their Xterasys XN 3135G wireless adapter.  Using their software caused me gnashing of teeth until I decided to use the Microsoft zero configuration tool and go into "run" and make the changes as suggested above.  Thanks, Fran
    • Proposed as answer by SilverTek Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:20 PM
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:55 AM
  • That was a good source. It help me resolve my problem. Thanks!
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Okay, well there is always one in the group, isn't there?  My computer is doing the same thing; I am running Windows XP Pro SP3.  I have to restart WZC every time that I reboot my computer.  I have gone into WZC and changed the setting to automatic, it still does it, plus I have to go to Internet Connections and tell it to use Windows to configure my connection.  Everything works fine, then, next time I reboot, same song.  Any suggestion as to how to make this a permanent fix?

AdCessories

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:19 PM
  • thanks a lot friend for the open advise cos i fix the problem.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Got me back up and running!  Thank you! :)
    Friday, June 11, 2010 7:51 PM
  • I am having the same issue. Having to go through all the steps gets annoying every time I reboot. I hope that someone has a clue how to make this a permanent fix.
    BDS
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:12 PM
  • I had the same issue as you guys and managed to get it fix. Unfortunately I am now wired to the modem direct and cannot remember the fix. However I did a bit of research for you and found this post on another site. Hope it helps!

Default Solutions on the fix

Quote:
    Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?RWRkaWUgTWFydGlu?=
    When I reboot my computer or turn it on after being turned off, my wireless
    zero configuration service has to be started manually by me every time. If I
    don't start it, my connection will not work. I do not know what (if any)
    service I may have disabled to make this happen. Even if I setup the service
    to start up automatically and then apply the change and then reboot, it still
    will not starts and defaults back to maual. Does anyone know how I could
    have possibly caused this, or could fix this problem? I appreciate your help.

Thanks!

The same thing was happening to me and it cost me $100 to have a tech guy fix it. So here it is.. after re starting Zero configuration again.. go to START then to ALL PROGRAMS then find your wireless card..( wireless utilities).. I have a gateway laptop with XP.. so I have a BROADCOM WIRELESS.. go to its UTILITIES....UNCHECK.. the box that says.. LET THIS TOOL MANAGE MY WIRELESS CONNECTIONS.... press apply and ok.. you shold be go to .. $100 over a little box.. DAMMMM..
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:55 PM
  • I am tagging along on Cathy's question.  I have a strong signal, my computer shows a connection and I have enables WCZ as requested by the computer and as so clearly outlined by the responses below.  However, I still cannot connect.  I am hung up on tryinq to "Acquire my IP adress".  I right clicked on the network in Network Connections and tried repair but the repair gets hung up on "renewing your IP address.  Any thoughts?

Thanks to all of the people like you who take time to help others out.

Gordon

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:34 PM
  • You guys rock!

I've been trying to set up my husbands laptop on a wireless gateway and had no idea what to do. I stumbled on this board and it worked first time. I haven't tried to switch off and then on again to see if it still connects but I'm happy just the way it is right now.

Thank you all for being part of the solution.

Cheers.

Sunday, November 07, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Please uninstall any Wireless driver utility like Intel Wireless utility, Ralink wireless utility and install only the Basic Driver.

Please visit www.technetinfo.in

Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:59 AM
  • What do you mean in run? Whats Run and how to i get to it?

Friday, January 28, 2011 11:07 PM
  • 1) type  services.msc in "run" and enter.

Monday, February 21, 2011 4:45 PM
  • What do you mean in run? Whats Run and how to i get to it?

Go to "Start" in left down corner.
    Open "Run" Command in it.
    Then you can type services.msc
    And folow the steps.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 1:58 PM