WMP11 - External Subtitles(.srt) for .avi video files doesnt work

Question

• Hi,

I installed windows media player 11(wmp11) recently... I would like to know how to enable the external subtitles(.srt, .txt notepad files in the same folder with the .avi video clip) while running the clip...

1. When i had windows media player 10 earlier, i just had to put the subtitle .srt or .txt file in the folder where the .avi video file was, and when i changed the subtitle file name to the exact name of the video clip and start the video clip, the subtitles would appear in the bottom... But after i installed wmp11, the subtitle doesnt come anymore...

I tired the following help provided in wmp11,

Click the Play menu, point to Lyrics, Captions, and Subtitles, and then click On if Available.

Still the subtitle doesnt work

2. The other problem is, when i had wmp10 installed earlier, the subtitles use to work in wmp10 as well as the PowerDVD player. Now after i installed wmp11, the subtitles dont work in PowerDVD either.

If anyone could give me instructions as to how to enable these external subtitles, either by changing the settings in WMP11 or recommend me a suitable codec ?

Friday, December 29, 2006 10:36 AM

Answers

• Ok i got the perfect codec VOBSOB from

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/VobSub.shtml

Now everythings alright. The subs work fine on wmp11

thanks
    cheers
    Friday, December 29, 2006 12:00 PM

All replies

• I now installed the codec DirectVobSub from the following site

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DirectVobSub.htm

problem 2 solved
    Now the external subtitle works in PowerDVD alright, but when i open the video clip using wmp11, it doesnt run, Nothing happens, its just blank. I deleted the .srt subtitle and played the video, and it works fine

Does anyone know how to play the clip via wmp11 so that the subtitles appear on the bottom?
    Friday, December 29, 2006 11:43 AM
  • Ok i got the perfect codec VOBSOB from

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/VobSub.shtml

thanks
    cheers
    Friday, December 29, 2006 12:00 PM
  • Please note this forum is for HD DVD authoring, and not WMP support.
    Friday, December 29, 2006 5:07 PM
  • I am having the same problems with wmp11. i already downloaded vobsub but i always get the error window when i try playing .avi files with .srt subtitles. but everything's fine when i use powerdvd. any suggestions? thanks
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 3:54 PM
  •  john_frener wrote:
    Ok i got the perfect codec VOBSOB from

thanks
    cheers

Hello,

Has anyone else downloaded this codec? If so what do I put when it asks "Select Directory where VirtualDub is installed at." ?

Kevin.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 3:21 PM
  •  john_frener wrote:
    Hi,

I installed windows media player 11(wmp11) recently... I would like to know how to enable the external subtitles(.srt, .txt notepad files in the same folder with the .avi video clip) while running the clip...

1. When i had windows media player 10 earlier, i just had to put the subtitle .srt or .txt file in the folder where the .avi video file was, and when i changed the subtitle file name to the exact name of the video clip and start the video clip, the subtitles would appear in the bottom... But after i installed wmp11, the subtitle doesnt come anymore...

I tired the following help provided in wmp11,

Click the Play menu, point to Lyrics, Captions, and Subtitles, and then click On if Available.

Still the subtitle doesnt work

2. The other problem is, when i had wmp10 installed earlier, the subtitles use to work in wmp10 as well as the PowerDVD player. Now after i installed wmp11, the subtitles dont work in PowerDVD either.

If anyone could give me instructions as to how to enable these external subtitles, either by changing the settings in WMP11 or recommend me a suitable codec ?

Friday, May 09, 2008 8:13 AM
  • downloaded it, but couldnt play the avi file... works fine when i remove the srt file... HELP please!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:34 PM
  •  john_frener wrote:
    Ok i got the perfect codec VOBSOB from

thanks
    cheers
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:32 PM
  • didnt solve the problem for me neither wmp11 or powerproducer.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Did this as well and still no joy. subs still dont work on wmp11 or power producer. HELPPPPPP

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:37 PM
  • I too would like to know which directory to install virtualsub. in any event still no joy for me either on wmp11 or powerproducer

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:39 PM
  • thanks ... I downloaded and asigned widows media player folder during installation and it's now working fine

again thnx john

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:58 PM
  •  

I had the same problem with WMP11.

This is what you can do:

Open WMP11

Go Tools --> Options --> DVD --> Advanced

Scroll down to subtitles

Select "Subtitles"

Select "Heuristic Search"

Select "Accept Embedde Subtitles"

Apply and Ok

Ths worked for me

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:22 PM
  • ^Worked for me too. Thanks a lot! No need for that codec download. **Just remember after you select those 3 to exit and restart the player.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:03 AM
  • OH! TKS 

Now it works!!
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:59 PM