How to open binary file ? ? ?

Question

• Hello all ! ! !

I need some help plz . . .

I try to make an ActiveX DLL that reading a midi file content and will creating a new text file with the midi content.

How can i open the midi content and make the new one text-midi file ? ? ?

Thanks a lot . . .

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:30 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure how to parse or build MIDI files, but I think you are looking for File Streams.

If you search the MSDN library for System.IO.Filestream, you will probably find what you are looking for. I rather like the filestream system, as opposed to the old FileOpen(1,Filename...) system. It is pretty intuitive after you get the hang of it. A bit of a learning curve there.

If you need more help, feel free to email me, and I'll help however I can. I'm fairly new to vb and .net, but I'll help if I can.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 3:59 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure how to parse or build MIDI files, but I think you are looking for File Streams.

If you search the MSDN library for System.IO.Filestream, you will probably find what you are looking for. I rather like the filestream system, as opposed to the old FileOpen(1,Filename...) system. It is pretty intuitive after you get the hang of it. A bit of a learning curve there.

If you need more help, feel free to email me, and I'll help however I can. I'm fairly new to vb and .net, but I'll help if I can.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 3:59 PM
  • Hi Mark,

It's funny but I don't like either like either one of them. I've been in computers for 35 years now and to me there is little that is intuitive about file streams to me. The again, I'm used to file systems that are not streams but that are built in terms of records either fixed length or variable length.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:34 AM
  • I already have use the System.IO.Filestream to open the midi file and i have get a part of the file.

The same hapens with any method i have use.

I getting up only some characters of the top of the file and then stop. I assume that is a character combine that work as exit character. I'm not sure.

If i try to open the midi file with notepad or word pad or thru Visual Basic with Richtextbox then i can see all the content of the midi file but when i try to save the file in string variable  then i loose again the rest of the file.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:19 AM
  •  

We need to see the code.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 2:25 PM