none
ISAM installable file not found

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to open a connection to an Microsoft Access data base in visual basic.net.  I get the message ISAM installable file not found.  I have the file MSISAM11.dll in c:\windows\system32.  I registered it with regsvr32. and it still does not work.  What can I do?

thanks a lot in advance for your help

Aurora Téllez.

Saturday, November 26, 2005 2:11 AM

Answers

• You're missing a space between "Data" and "Source", e.g. "Data Source" not "DataSource". -- Brendan Reynolds wrote in message news:285ad4b5-db6d-4d2a-8caa-741dff2c20a3@discussions.microsoft.com... Hello, I am learning VB.NET and ADO.NET. I am trying to open an Microsoft Access data base with the following code and I get the error message "ISAM Installable file not found" Imports System Imports System.Data Imports System.Data.OleDb Public Class Form1 Dim cn As New OleDbConnection() Private Sub cerrarBaseDeDatos() cn.close() End Sub Private Sub abrirBaseDeDatos() Dim cnString As String cnString = "provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" _ & "DataSource = C:\Documents and Settings\Aurora Perezyera\mami\programación administrativa\libros.mdb" cn.ConnectionString = cnString Try cn.Open() Catch ex As OleDbException Dim i As Integer, msg As String For i = 0 To ex.Errors.Count - 1 Dim oledberr As OleDbError = ex.Errors(i) msg = "Message = " & oledberr.Message & ControlChars.CrLf msg &= "Source = " & oledberr.Source & ControlChars.CrLf msg &= "NativeError = " & oledberr.NativeError & ControlChars.CrLf msg &= "SQLState = " & oledberr.SQLState & ControlChars.FormFeed Next MessageBox.Show(msg) Catch ex As Exception MessageBox.Show(ex.Message) Finally 'asegura que la conexión se cierre cn.Close() End Try End Sub Private Sub MenuSalir_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MenuSalir.Click cerrarBaseDeDatos() End Tongue TiedEnd Sub Private Sub Principal_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load abrirBaseDeDatos() End Sub End Class I am working with Microsoft Access 2002 and Microsoft Development Environment 2002. and Microsoft.NET framewirk 1.0. In my previous program I established the connection using the servers explorer and everything worked fine. But in this second program I am trying to establish the connection using code and I get the error message. Thanks a lot in advance for your help. Aurora Téllez.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:28 AM
  • This usually indicates a problem with the connection string you're trying to use. If you can't see what the problem is, try posting the connection string here. -- Brendan Reynolds Access MVP wrote in message news:62fdbc0c-9ffe-4ccd-b550-229fa7af5d48@discussions.microsoft.com... >I am trying to open a connection to an Microsoft Access data base in > visual basic.net. I get the message ISAM installable file not found. > What can I do? > putupakerisan. >
    Saturday, August 05, 2006 2:38 PM

• You need to specify an ODBC connection string for the Database Name. I set up an ODBC DSN to my local SQL Server database (named Local) and the following worked for me as the Database Name:

ODBC;DSN=Local

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:54 PM

All replies

• Aurora,
    I haven't heard of this problem before, and I'll need some more information in order to help you.

When and where do you get this error?  Is it when you try to make create a new connection in the Data Source Configuration Wizard?  Can you test your connection in the dialog?  Or does the error happen when you try to configure the datasource?  Or does it happen when you hit F5 to run the app?

Also, what version of Access is the database?  With more information we can try to narrow down what is going wrong.

Thanks,
    Adam Braden
    Visual Basic Team

Saturday, November 26, 2005 6:35 AM
  • This error message is sometimes caused by an error in the connection string. Could you post your connection string? (Don't forget to obscure any confidential information such as a password that may be included in the connection string, of course). -- Brendan Reynolds wrote in message news:78287875-25bd-4e93-92d0-c01e314d0003@discussions.microsoft.com... Hello, I am trying to open a connection to an Microsoft Access data base in visual basic.net. I get the message ISAM installable file not found. I have the file MSISAM11.dll in c:\windows\system32. I registered it with regsvr32. and it still does not work. What can I do? thanks a lot in advance for your help Aurora Téllez.
    Saturday, November 26, 2005 11:33 AM
  • Hello,
       I am learning VB.NET and ADO.NET. I am trying to open an Microsoft Access data base with the following code and I get the error message "ISAM Installable file not found"

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Data.OleDb

Public Class Form1

Dim cn As New OleDbConnection()

Private Sub cerrarBaseDeDatos()

cn.close()

End Sub

Private Sub abrirBaseDeDatos()

Dim cnString As String

cnString = "provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" _

& "DataSource = C:\Documents and Settings\Aurora Perezyera\mami\programación administrativa\libros.mdb"

cn.ConnectionString = cnString

Try

cn.Open()

Catch ex As OleDbException

Dim i As Integer, msg As String

For i = 0 To ex.Errors.Count - 1

Dim oledberr As OleDbError = ex.Errors(i)

msg = "Message = " & oledberr.Message & ControlChars.CrLf

msg &= "Source = " & oledberr.Source & ControlChars.CrLf

msg &= "NativeError = " & oledberr.NativeError & ControlChars.CrLf

msg &= "SQLState = " & oledberr.SQLState & ControlChars.FormFeed

Next

MessageBox.Show(msg)

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

Finally

'asegura que la conexión se cierre

cn.Close()

End Try

End Sub

Private Sub MenuSalir_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MenuSalir.Click

cerrarBaseDeDatos()

End

Tongue TiedEnd Sub

Private Sub Principal_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

abrirBaseDeDatos()

End Sub

End Class

I am working with Microsoft Access 2002 and Microsoft Development Environment 2002. and Microsoft.NET framewirk 1.0.

In my previous program I established the connection using the servers explorer and everything worked fine. But in this second program I am trying to establish the connection using code and I get the error message.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Aurora Téllez.

Saturday, November 26, 2005 10:56 PM
  • You're missing a space between "Data" and "Source", e.g. "Data Source" not "DataSource". -- Brendan Reynolds wrote in message news:285ad4b5-db6d-4d2a-8caa-741dff2c20a3@discussions.microsoft.com... Hello, I am learning VB.NET and ADO.NET. I am trying to open an Microsoft Access data base with the following code and I get the error message "ISAM Installable file not found" Imports System Imports System.Data Imports System.Data.OleDb Public Class Form1 Dim cn As New OleDbConnection() Private Sub cerrarBaseDeDatos() cn.close() End Sub Private Sub abrirBaseDeDatos() Dim cnString As String cnString = "provider=Microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;" _ & "DataSource = C:\Documents and Settings\Aurora Perezyera\mami\programación administrativa\libros.mdb" cn.ConnectionString = cnString Try cn.Open() Catch ex As OleDbException Dim i As Integer, msg As String For i = 0 To ex.Errors.Count - 1 Dim oledberr As OleDbError = ex.Errors(i) msg = "Message = " & oledberr.Message & ControlChars.CrLf msg &= "Source = " & oledberr.Source & ControlChars.CrLf msg &= "NativeError = " & oledberr.NativeError & ControlChars.CrLf msg &= "SQLState = " & oledberr.SQLState & ControlChars.FormFeed Next MessageBox.Show(msg) Catch ex As Exception MessageBox.Show(ex.Message) Finally 'asegura que la conexión se cierre cn.Close() End Try End Sub Private Sub MenuSalir_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MenuSalir.Click cerrarBaseDeDatos() End Tongue TiedEnd Sub Private Sub Principal_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load abrirBaseDeDatos() End Sub End Class I am working with Microsoft Access 2002 and Microsoft Development Environment 2002. and Microsoft.NET framewirk 1.0. In my previous program I established the connection using the servers explorer and everything worked fine. But in this second program I am trying to establish the connection using code and I get the error message. Thanks a lot in advance for your help. Aurora Téllez.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

thank you very much for your help. You are right, I was missing the space. I appreciate very much your help.

Aurora.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:35 PM
  • I am trying to open a connection to an Microsoft Access data base in visual basic.net.  I get the message ISAM installable file not found. What can I do?
    putupakerisan.
    Saturday, August 05, 2006 1:09 PM
  • This usually indicates a problem with the connection string you're trying to use. If you can't see what the problem is, try posting the connection string here. -- Brendan Reynolds Access MVP wrote in message news:62fdbc0c-9ffe-4ccd-b550-229fa7af5d48@discussions.microsoft.com... >I am trying to open a connection to an Microsoft Access data base in > visual basic.net. I get the message ISAM installable file not found. > What can I do? > putupakerisan. >
    Saturday, August 05, 2006 2:38 PM

• Can you post your connection string?
    Monday, August 07, 2006 12:04 PM
  • Hello Adam,

I was misstyping the connection string, I had allready marked a previous answer as the correct answer but I still receive more answers, what else do I have to do to close this report?

Thanks a lot.

Aurora.

Monday, August 07, 2006 6:23 PM

• You don't have to do anything. Someone is apparently having the same problem and posted on the end of this message instead of starting a new thread. Not the best thing to do since you've already marked the question as answered.

If you don't want to receive any more notifications you can unsubscribe from the thread.

Monday, August 07, 2006 6:43 PM
  •  NNTP User wrote:
    You're missing a space between "Data" and "Source", e.g. "Data Source" not "DataSource". 

Geez I can't believe I did that too.... thank you thank you thank you. 

Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:27 PM
  • I have similar problem, except that I don't even find "MSISAM11.dll " file. Anywhere I can download it?

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 5:18 PM

• Near as I can tell this is a supporting file for Windows Media Player version 7.0. How are you using this file?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:20 PM
  • Actually, I am using MS Access at work, so I never try to open the media player. All I know is this file does not exist on my system!!!
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:19 PM

• Well, you don't need the file. If you're getting an error identifying this file then I think we would need to know when the error occurs.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:14 PM
  • I actually do not receive error indicating I need this file, but from googling the error of missing ISAM system, sometimes it relates to this file.

There is a few ways to import data from SQL Server.

1. Get External Data wizard (from the menu) and select "ODBC database" as source to link to the SQL Server
    2. Using Macro to "Transfer data" (or import) from MS SQL Server
    3. VBA (which essentially the same as in 2)

I tried them all and only number 1 works. I am not sure how to automate the process as I would expect all functions link to the SQL server. If (1) works, why not others.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:17 PM

• Well I would need to see an example of what you are doing in #2 and #3. If you're using VBA then there has to be code involved.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:51 PM
  • For (2), you simply go to the the "macro" section of the non-VBA layout, then select "Transfer Database"

For (3), I followed the example from microsoft on Northwind database, but change to new SQL server name. The SQL Server name and DSN is certainly correct as it works in Excel VBA. Just that now, I cannot import the table t MS Access.

I am sorry if this sounds too arbitrage to tackle the problem.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:05 AM

• OK, looks like I'm going to have to pull teeth. ;-)

Re: #2

In a macro I select the Transfer Database action. Then what?

Re: #3

There is code somewhere in the Northwind database you are referring to. Can you post the code and also the connection string you're using to connect to SQL Server?

Thursday, April 12, 2007 1:33 AM
  • For #2, once you are under the macro menu, you can select "TransferDatabase"
    -> under "Action Arguments" at the bottom, you fill out the empty fields as follows:
    Transfer Type: Import
    DatabaseType:  ODBC Database
    DatabaseName: db (depends on how you name it under ODBC)
    Object Type: Table
    Source: myTable (table from the ODBC database)
    Destination: desTable (table name to be used in current database once loaded)
    Structure Only: No
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:25 PM

• Can you post a syntax sample of the connection string you're entering in the DatabaseName field for your ODBC database?
    Monday, April 16, 2007 12:51 PM
  • I setup the ODBC driver under "ODBC Data Source Administrator" where I have:

name: em_db
    SQL Server: [CALNTSQL008\AFIRE]

When I put down the database name, I used "em_db". I did not put down the full path because the ODBC driver already has the information. Please let me know if I use it wrong.

Thanks so much
    Monday, April 16, 2007 4:06 PM

• You need to specify an ODBC connection string for the Database Name. I set up an ODBC DSN to my local SQL Server database (named Local) and the following worked for me as the Database Name:

ODBC;DSN=Local

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:54 PM
  • It works now! Thanks very much for the help
    Monday, April 16, 2007 8:06 PM