none
Difference between Microsoft Surface SDK 1.0 and Toolkit

Question

• I have some following questions. It will be great if I will get some explanation.

1.       1. Can we use MS Surface SDK 1.0 SP1 for the application development of Surface 2?

2.       2. Should we use Surface toolkit for Windows Touch Beta for application development of Surface 2 only?

3.       3. Does Surface toolkit for Windows Touch Beta provide ‘Surface Simulator’ whereas Surface SDK 1.0 SP1 provides this?

4.       4. What is the basic difference between Surface SDK 1.0 SP1 and Surface toolkit for Windows Touch Beta?

Monday, February 07, 2011 5:05 PM

Answers

• Luis would probably answer this better than me, but I'll try...

>  Can we use MS Surface SDK 1.0 SP1 for the application development of Surface 2?

Nope.  Apps that use the SP1 SDK won't receive any touch input when run on Surface 2.

> Should we use Surface toolkit for Windows Touch Beta for application development of Surface 2 only?

The Beta lets you write apps that will work on Windows Touch PCs and will be easily ported to Surface 2.

> Does Surface toolkit for Windows Touch Beta provide ‘Surface Simulator’ whereas Surface SDK 1.0 SP1 provides this?

No, there's no simulator provide in the Beta.  We're expecting that you'll have a Windows Touch PC and can therefore drive your app by touching your screen.

> What is the basic difference between Surface SDK 1.0 SP1 and Surface toolkit for Windows Touch Beta?

There are two main differences in my mind:

1. The Beta targets .NET 4.0 and integrates with the touch features in that release.  SP1 targeted .NET 3.5 SP1. 

2. The Beta enables you to develop apps that will run on Windows Touch PCs.

Monday, February 07, 2011 6:10 PM