none
DVD does not autoload install disk upon startup but DVD plays well

Question

• I need to install Windows 7 on a hd that has data but is not bootable.  There is no indication upon startup that I can install on this hard drive. When I restart there is no message that I should hit a key to begin the install.  Instead it will directly boot or show another message that I should alt control delete and try again.

DVD player plays fine and in the past has been used many times to install windows 7.

Earlier I had the problem that I could not recognize the dvd drive and fixed it with http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 .  Now it plays but will not install  Win 7 as indicated above either after restart or will not even autostart when a bootable hd is loaded and running.

Jim

James H McDonald
    • Moved by Bob_BaoMVP Monday, January 03, 2011 7:33 AM windows 7 installation (From:Application Compatibility for Windows Development)
    Saturday, January 01, 2011 1:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jim,

Coud you please try to check the settings in your BIOS? I think it is not a WCD question. I will help you to move it to the Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment forum.

On the other hand, I can share the general steps on installing Windows:

1. Change the Boot order in the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD driver.
    2. Insert the Windows 7 Installation DVD, and startup your PC.
    3. System will boot from the DVD, and then install the system step by step as the guide.

Please refer to the document: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

And others, could you please try to check if the DVD has the boot file? Such as files: bootmgr, bootmgr.efi

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 03, 2011 7:32 AM
  • First of all  I need to tell you about the code 39 problem that I had right before this problem.  At that time I  could not use the DVD or CD machine.  Device Manager said Windows would not recognize by DVD machine(code 39).  I was having problems with ie9 Beta so I uninstalled that plus Nero and all other software that had to do with my DVD machine, except Microsoft installed software.  I also used the web site mentioned above to help solve the problem.  Now my dvd player plays manually but will not come up and be recognized after restarting.  I can install Windows after C drive comes up with Win 7 program.

I have moved the CDRom from 1st to 2nd in boot order with no change.  CDRom has been in 1st postion for about the last 2 years.  At that time prior to my problem that disk work perfectly and believe me I have used it many times.  Also bootmgr is in the win 7 install disk which I Purchased from Newegg.  That disk has served me well since Oct 08, except during my recent problem.

I have installed win 7 and win xp many times in the past with little or no problem.  I have never had this problem before.

Jim

James H McDonald
    • Edited by jhmac77 Monday, January 03, 2011 3:54 PM correction
    Monday, January 03, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Bob Bao

Were you going to move this post to the right place?  It seems to be a hardware problem because of the code 39 which was only partially fixed. I changed the boot sequence and that did't change anything.  So what is the problem?

Jim

James H McDonald
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Hi jhmac77,

If you can confirm the CD/DVDRom can work and read the disk in an operation system, I think the issue may be the first partition is not active. Please try to modify it to active by some tool, or move the hard disk to other machine and change it by "Computer Management -> Disk Management -> Right click on the partition -> Select Mark Partition as Active"

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 2:13 AM
  • I am not sure what you mean by not active.  How can an install windows 7 disk be not active?  I bought it retail and used it many times.  Please explain.

I need to make a bootable disk with a bios on it and use it to upgrade the bios.  But how can I boot it since I can't boot the windows disk.  And how do you make a DVD/CD machine active.

James H McDonald
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:29 PM
  • I Found the answer in Computer hope.  If a bootable disk does not boot keep holding the key down until it does. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm in other suggestions.  It works for a windows install disk but a homemade bootable I am not sure.

James H McDonald
    • Marked as answer by jhmac77 Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:13 AM
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:13 AM