Error: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.

Question

• I am new with Visual C++ Express (2008), but not with c++ in general (I switched to visual c++ as I wanted to learn directX).

I compile and run the application just fine, on the development computer. When I try to run it on another computer (without VIsual C++ Express 2008 installed) I get the following error:

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001)."

After poking around a little bit I learned I should install vcredist_x86.exe on the computer I wanted to run it on but that did not solve the problem. So what exactly causes this? And how do I solve it? Thank you.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have you installed the correct version of vcredist_x86.exe?

For applications developed with Visual C++ 2008, you should install the package from below link on the target machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:59 AM
  • I had the same or similar problem.

I had to recompile as a  RELEASE version.

Then I had to install the   Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

My app worked fine after this.

FYI:    Check the Framework version needed by selecting Project then  <project name> Properties; or Alt-F7.
              Targeted Framework: shows the version number.

-good luck

Monday, August 03, 2009 4:48 PM