none
Visio 2013 trial, problems to install the .img file

Question

• As soon as I download the trial for visio 2013 it automotically downloads an .img file. How do I either get an .exe file or the .img file to run? I would like to install the programm, thats all.

Its the 64 bit version

Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• if you're using Win7 then right click the file and 'mount' it.

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP

Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:17 PM
  • i am using win7 and i dont see anything that says "mount it" so im trying nero i that dont work ill try daemontools

• Edited by ss7zero Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:47 AM edit
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:46 AM
  • i have been burning all night and my CD is still empty i used daemon tools but it doesnt even recognize .img files what are others doing that i am not to get it to work
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:14 AM
  • I also have no option to mount an .img file, so there are 2 problems:

1) This process doesn't work because we can't mount it, and

2) Clearly, some software that performs the mounting is missing from the System Requirements.

Please answer how to do #1, and fix #2 on the MSDN pages.

Friday, August 02, 2013 8:10 PM
  • I also have no option to mount an .img file, so there are 2 problems:

1) This process doesn't work because we can't mount it, and

2) Clearly, some software that performs the mounting is missing from the System Requirements.

Please answer how to do #1, and fix #2 on the MSDN pages.

Hi @thrillride, for your issue relating to MSDN, are you referring to this?:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx

Perhaps part of the difficulty is that various products, are "packaged" in differing ways (some are offered as EXE, some as ISO, some as IMG).
    Also, different versions/editions of Windows, offer different disc-image-handling options as built-in features.
    So it's not straightforward to have a one-size-fits-all guide for this topic.
    The information on the linked MSDN page is somewhat adequate for most situations, but, a certain familiarity with the topic is assumed, and maybe it's that assumption which is unreasonable.

Since MS don't develop/offer/sell disc image software, MS are cautious when and how advising customers to select and use such software. (except for the builtin-in features).

There is a very wide range of software available to perform the "burning" or "virtual drive/mount" function, and MS do list some suggestions on the above-linked page. There is no need to wrestle with "mounting", if you choose to "burn" the disc image to a recordable CD or DVD.

Some other popular choices include MagicISO, VirtualCloneDrive, WinCDEmu.

Also note that the software product itself (in this case, Visio) has no requirement for any such software. It's the delivery-vehicle that has the requirement, and, I agree that a bit more useful information about the "packaging and delivery vehicle" is needed.

You can raise this with the MSDN Feedback forum, since it's not related to the Visio product itself, but how it is offered via the MSDN channel.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=msdnfeedback

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, August 03, 2013 2:00 AM edit
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 1:59 AM
  • When I right click it wants to burn the file to a disc. Nothing says "Mount", only "Burn". I cannot start Visio.
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 11:52 PM
  • When I right click it wants to burn the file to a disc. Nothing says "Mount", only "Burn". I cannot start Visio.

You will probably need to install one of the popular utilities, to be able to mount the IMG file.
    Per Al's tip: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/mount-an-iso-image-in-windows-vista/

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, August 04, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Visio trial download is now available as a exe download for simple installation experience. After download, just double click to install.

Follow the following steps to download the trial version:

1. Visit http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/
    2. Choose Try Now.
    3. Ensure the details filled up in the form are correct. Now Click Continue. 
    4. On the screen your trial key will be displayed along with an option to print it. Select print it and save it for future reference.
    5. Now choose the language of your download and your are good to go.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:57 AM