none
SSMS SQL 2008 R2 - .NET Error - Cannot Disconnect Server from Object Explorer - when password changed during query session.

Question

• Hi,  Spotted an issue with Management Studio for SQL 2008 R2.

1. Register a server using a standard SQL login, e.g. app-login1, password: oldpw1

2. Connect to server so details show in Object Explorer

3. Open a New Query

4. Change password for login (used in step #1), e.g.  EXEC sp_changepassword @old='oldpw1', @new='newpw2'

5. When you try and disconnect server in Object Explorer - you get a .NET Exception error.

.NET summary details below.

System.Data.SQLClient.SQLException: Login failed for user 'app-login1'

Rgds

T

• Edited by Terry.C Tuesday, September 02, 2014 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, September 02, 2014 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Terry,

Based on my understanding , you connect to SQL Server via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), and encounter a failure when disconnecting server in Object Explorer after changing login password in a query.

I test the scenario as yours in SQL Server 2008 R2,  execute the sp_password  stored procedure below to change login password successfully, and everything is ok when I disconnect server in Object Explorer. 

EXEC sp_password 'oldpw1', 'newpw2', 'login'

Could you please describe more details about the sp_changepassword?  Is the stored procedure created by yourself?  And I will appreciate it if you provide the SQL Server ERRORLOG file. By default, the log can be found in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.5.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 8:56 AM

All replies

• File a connect item: https://connect.microsoft.com/

Satish Kartan http://www.sqlfood.com/

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 10:24 PM
  • Hi Terry,

Based on my understanding , you connect to SQL Server via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), and encounter a failure when disconnecting server in Object Explorer after changing login password in a query.

I test the scenario as yours in SQL Server 2008 R2,  execute the sp_password  stored procedure below to change login password successfully, and everything is ok when I disconnect server in Object Explorer. 

EXEC sp_password 'oldpw1', 'newpw2', 'login'

Could you please describe more details about the sp_changepassword?  Is the stored procedure created by yourself?  And I will appreciate it if you provide the SQL Server ERRORLOG file. By default, the log can be found in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.5.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Hi Terry,

I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved after performing our action plan steps? If you are satisfied with our solution, I’d like to mark this issue as "Answered". Please also feel free to unmark the issue, with any new findings or concerns you may have.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Monday, September 15, 2014 9:03 AM