none
Unable to boot-loading screen shows with "Preparing automatic repair" and then it goes to a black screen

Question

• I am unable to boot my Samsung Developer Tablet.  When powered on, the Samsung loading screen shows with "Preparing automatic repair" and then it goes to a black screen that shows cross-hairs wherever I touch.  I'm unable to get recovery options by holding the windows key.  It's the same issue as described by Darren in this thread, but no solution was ever posted:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/samsungpcgeneral/thread/dfad933f-4536-4621-a34b-358a25658b77

I've contacted support, but I was curious to see if anyone found a solution? Thanks.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:51 PM

Answers

• If that is the case, you might want to attempt a clean install of Windows Developer Preview. Since (I'm assuming) you made a bootable USB drive with WinPE, once you load WinPE, you may swap out its USB drive with another one that has Windows Developer Preview on it and run its installation executable from there.

Since you attended the BUILD conference, you should have received a USB drive with the OS already preloaded on it.  In case you need instructions though, look at the How to create a bootable USB flash disk for the Windows Developer Preview Edition? thread on how to make it. Hopefully this works out for you.

Worse case scenario, you might have hardware issues with your unit, which we would then go through the request process of swapping it out.

Keep me posted on your results. :D

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:16 AM

All replies

• If you are willing, you might want to try the method of repairing your boot configuration data with the instructions on the Using WinPE to rescue invalid or corrupt BCD store thread that MosoLee posted. Hopefully your results will be the same as his.    ^_^

rafael

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:41 AM
  • I went through these steps as well, however it doesn't appear that my BCD is corrupted.  I went ahead and walked through the steps anyway and when I got to the "bcdboot c:\Windows" step, I received the error message "could not open the bcd template store."
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:42 AM
  • If that is the case, you might want to attempt a clean install of Windows Developer Preview. Since (I'm assuming) you made a bootable USB drive with WinPE, once you load WinPE, you may swap out its USB drive with another one that has Windows Developer Preview on it and run its installation executable from there.

Since you attended the BUILD conference, you should have received a USB drive with the OS already preloaded on it.  In case you need instructions though, look at the How to create a bootable USB flash disk for the Windows Developer Preview Edition? thread on how to make it. Hopefully this works out for you.

Worse case scenario, you might have hardware issues with your unit, which we would then go through the request process of swapping it out.

Keep me posted on your results. :D

rafael

Friday, September 30, 2011 3:16 AM
  • I have the same issue!

Until Yesterday I use my Samsung tablet normally, but when I try to start it yesterday morning I receive the message "Preparing Automatic Repair" and the system remain black.

If I touch the screen I see a little point that follow my gesture, but nothing happen.

I try to see the option in the "BIOS" and I have also created an bootable USB key following the instructions that come with the tablet (that you can also find in the download from connect); but also nothing happen.

I try now to contact the Samsung Customer service, but I think it's hard.

Marco

MCTS Windows Mobile 6.5
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:34 PM
  •    I'll give that a try. Could someone explain the 5 partitions that are on the device? Should I install to a certain one or just format the entire drive? Thanks!
    Friday, September 30, 2011 5:02 PM
  • I was able to successfully reinstall Windows to the fifth partition. I totally forgot all my settings would be synced with live, so that was a nice surprise! Thanks to everyone for the help!

I would still be curious to find out exactly what each partition is for.

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:55 PM