TFS 2008 SP1 RTM install fails with error code 1603

Question

• Hi!

I have TFS 2008 running in single-server mode on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x86. When trying to install TFS 2008 SP1 (the RTM version) the installation fails. I installed VS 2008 SP1 RTM on this server BEFORE installing TFS 2008 SP1 RTM, not sure if it's relevant. Also, these are clean installations of all products (no upgrades), and no beta or preview versions of either have touched this machine.

The setup dialog displays:
    The installation failed with:
    Fatal error during installation.

When I click on "View the log file", the following lines are marked with red:
    Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information. ]
    MsiApplyMultiplePatches returned 0x643
    PerformMsiOperation returned 0x643
    Composite Installer is reporting 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation.

In the MSI log file named "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server Service Pack 1_20080814_130040318-Msi1.txt" the following catches my attention:
    MSI (s) (FC:A8) [15:02:56:710]: Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU - Update 'KB949786' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Users\ADMINI~1.BMS\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server Service Pack 1_20080814_130040318-Msi1.txt.

After the installation rolls back, the TFS instance so far seems unaffected.

A ZIP file containing all the log files from the failed installation can be found here:
    http://www.perceptible.net/downloads/Logs.zip

Best regards,
    Daniel Stolt

Blue Mobile Systems
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers

• Daniel,

The Tool tries to gather information about the Reporting Services via calling WMI on the machine. It obtian the information as stored in the database.

You can change the reporting Service urls stored in the system via the command TfsAdminUtil ConfigureConnections to point to the internal machinename

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb778396.aspx

You need to change both

/ReportsUri

/ReportServerUri

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

From your logs it seem that Reporting Services was not running or was not reachable on the Server tfs.bluemobilesystems.se

Could you please verify that it is running and that you can access reports before installing SP1

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Hi Abdelhamid,

Ok, if this part is what causes the installation to fail, then I think I know what the problem is.

The relevant part of the log:
    08/14/08 15:02:13 DDSet_Status: --- STATUS: Found Reports.ReportsService=https://tfs.bluemobilesystems.se/ReportServer/ReportService.asmx
    08/14/08 15:02:13 DDSet_Status: --- STATUS: Writing VSTF_RS_SERVER=tfs.bluemobilesystems.se into C:\Users\Administrator.BMS\AppData\Local\Temp\TfsCurrentConfig.ini section Config
    08/14/08 15:02:56 DDSet_Error: *** ERROR: Failed to call WMI on the RS server. The most likely cause is that the firewall is blocking WMI calls or that the RS server is not reachable: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

As you can see, the installer is incorrectly obtaining the public FQDN of the reports service, and just taking the hostname part of it, assuming it can make RPC calls to this host.

The reports service can only be reached via HTTP and HTTPS via its public FQDN. To make RPC calls the installer would have to use its internal machine name.

To work around this, I suppose I need to know where the installer reads this URL. There are a number of places where the URL of the reports service is configured, and I need to know where to temporarily change this value to allow the installation to finish. Can you think of any other way to work around this?

I have tried adding tfs.bluemobilesystems.se to the hosts file pointing to 127.0.0.1, but for some reason the hosts entry does not properly override the DNS.

Best regards,
    Daniel Stolt
    Blue Mobile Systems

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Daniel,

The Tool tries to gather information about the Reporting Services via calling WMI on the machine. It obtian the information as stored in the database.

You can change the reporting Service urls stored in the system via the command TfsAdminUtil ConfigureConnections to point to the internal machinename

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb778396.aspx

You need to change both

/ReportsUri

/ReportServerUri

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:06 PM
  • Also make sure that you're using your original TFS setup account when apllying TFS 2008 SP1.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 6:20 AM
  • Thank you, temporarily changing the Reporting Services URLs via TfsAdminUtil seems to have solved the problem.

I also had to change the SharepointSitesUrl, as we have this set to the root site collection instead of the /sites collection that TFS configures as a default, and the TFS 2008 SP1 installer freaks out from this too, mumbling something about the VSTS_WSS_PATH value not existing.

<Rant>For the record, I think the behavior of the installer in this case is less than ideal. The configured URLs for Reporting Services are HTTP or HTTPS URLs. As such, they state only that the machine is reachable at these URLs using the specified protocol. Taking an HTTPS URL, extracting the host name from it, and assuming you can make RPC calls to that URL is an incorrect (and somewhat dangerous) assumption IMHO. Not only is it a technically incorrect interpretation of a URL, but in practice it makes installation fail for many customers who have TFS setup for proper FQDN access.</Rant>

Too late to change this now of course, but maybe something you might consider for future releases.

Best regards,
    Daniel Stolt
    Blue Mobile Systems
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:50 AM
  • Hey,

I seem to have the same issue can you please help? You can view the logs from the link:Log File

Best Regards,

Faizan Asghar
    UVision Consulting LLC
    Friday, December 04, 2009 12:44 AM