none
Samsuing Omnia 2 (I8000) - DirectX/OpenGL ES support

Question

• Dear everyone,
    I've been trying to find if Samsung Omnia 2 (i8000) supports DirectX or OGL ES. Omnia 2 has good hardware with 2d/3d HW support, but another thing is support by the operating system, Windows Mobile 6+.

Is there any way on how to figure out if the device has support for DirectX and OpenGL ES? I talk especially about video driver support, since I know that WM has DirectX support available.

Best regards,
    Rene
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:37 PM

Answers

• In bringing everything together I wanted to post a link back to the answer to your question on the Samsung Mobile Innovator forums here : http://tinyurl.com/m86a2b

Hi all,

To answer the question: 
    • Direct3D is supported on the Omnia 2.
    • It does not use the Microsoft reference implementation.  Its driver identifies itself as "D3DM BVS Driver".
    • This driver does not support the hardware acceleration of the Omnia 2.
    • I've attached a ZIP file that contains an HTML file with a list of the specific capabilities of this device driver on the Omnia 2.  The HTML file has a link at the top of it that goes to the MSDN page that explains all of these fields.
    So basically, you can use Direct3D on the Omnia 2, but you won't be taking advantage of the specific hardware acceleration of the device. 

Hardware acceleration is supported if you use OpenGL ES.  But, as was discussed in another thread, some users have been having issues getting started with OpenGL ES on the Omnia 2, and we're looking into this.  Also, as Joel mentioned, if you plan on developing a game or app that runs on the Omnia 2 and uses OpenGL ES, you'll have to look into shipping a software implementation if you also target other devices.

Many thanks to Joel for the test program I used to dump the capabilities to HTML!

-Jon

Joel Ivory Johnson
    • Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Friday, September 04, 2009 5:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:29 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 5:57 PM

All replies

• You posted this question on the Samsung Mobile Innovator forums too didn't you, I was actually looking into it to see the exact capabilities exposed by it's Direct3D driver. 

Thankfully the Omnia II has something that's *not* the Direct3D reference driver (The Direct3D reference driver is the slowest one available, also the one used on the majority of HTC branded phones). I've not yet figured out what portion of that driver contains software implementation and what portion calls hardware implementation.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:19 PM
  • In bringing everything together I wanted to post a link back to the answer to your question on the Samsung Mobile Innovator forums here : http://tinyurl.com/m86a2b

Hi all,

To answer the question: 
    • Direct3D is supported on the Omnia 2.
    • It does not use the Microsoft reference implementation.  Its driver identifies itself as "D3DM BVS Driver".
    • This driver does not support the hardware acceleration of the Omnia 2.
    • I've attached a ZIP file that contains an HTML file with a list of the specific capabilities of this device driver on the Omnia 2.  The HTML file has a link at the top of it that goes to the MSDN page that explains all of these fields.
    So basically, you can use Direct3D on the Omnia 2, but you won't be taking advantage of the specific hardware acceleration of the device. 

Hardware acceleration is supported if you use OpenGL ES.  But, as was discussed in another thread, some users have been having issues getting started with OpenGL ES on the Omnia 2, and we're looking into this.  Also, as Joel mentioned, if you plan on developing a game or app that runs on the Omnia 2 and uses OpenGL ES, you'll have to look into shipping a software implementation if you also target other devices.

Many thanks to Joel for the test program I used to dump the capabilities to HTML!

-Jon

Joel Ivory Johnson
    • Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Friday, September 04, 2009 5:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:29 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 5:57 PM
  • You posted this question on the Samsung Mobile Innovator forums too didn't you, I was actually looking into it to see the exact capabilities exposed by it's Direct3D driver. 

Thankfully the Omnia II has something that's *not* the Direct3D reference driver (The Direct3D reference driver is the slowest one available, also the one used on the majority of HTC branded phones). I've not yet figured out what portion of that driver contains software implementation and what portion calls hardware implementation.
    Joel Ivory Johnson

Dear Joel,

Yes I did.I am in the phase of gathering information on Omnia 2. The device is so powerful, that I am surprised that Windwows Mobile does not have HW specific video driver. is there any description of the HW support that can be utilized in computer games, please? Today, I was thinking if it is realistic to try to develop a driver as a part of the computer game. Or if there is a description of HW for direct access.

With regards,
    Rene
    Friday, September 04, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Samsung developed their own processor and harware graphics implementation for the processor used in the Omnia II. If you wanted any information on interfacing with it then you may want to find a data sheet on the processor.  However, writing a device driver (especially a video driver) is not a trivial task.  I think your time will be better spent on concentrating on the game's logic and not concern yourself with writing a drive yourself.  As Jon mentioned they are looking into the conflicts some developers have encountered in trying to write against OpenGL ES 2 on the device.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Friday, September 04, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Dear Joel,

Thanks for the answer. I was thinking abut my next steps overnight, and concluded that going with OGLES 2.0 is apparently the best way currently. Some more questions arose in my head as a result of that conclusion:

- As I know there will be strong variations in DirectX implementations on what parts have hardware support and what are only software based. Is the same situation with OpenGLSE 2.0 that some features can be based on HW whereas another can be replaced by slow software functionality?

- It was mentioned, that Omnia 2 will have DirectDraw support at least for BLT functions but was questionable whether it supports HW alpha blending. The GPU itself does have this support. Is there any way how to figure it out, whether Omnia 2 Direct Draw supports HW Alpha Blending? A game withou transparency will be extremely poor. I used software transparency in my previous game, however, I was limited to use in only very rare situations.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK-0mGii_cQ  - This game, Asphalt 4 for Omnia 2 must then be made with Open GL ES 2.0.

- must harware of the device be compatible with Open GL or Direct X or is it up to the software API to ajusts itself to work with the particular hardware? I ask because in Omnia 2 CPU data sheet I did not see any mention of compatilibility with either DirectX or OpenGL.

I know, one solution would be purchasing device on my own and do the tests. To have this device just to understand whether or not I can use it for my project in mind with possibility that it will not be suitable is a risk I can not afford.

Best regards,
    Rene

Saturday, September 05, 2009 8:03 AM