Help please! I can't build when I want to. Error MSB4014

Question

• First off, my username is only 5 characters. So that's not the problem.  I'm using XP SP3.

Often, when I'm trying to build my current project, I get this error:

------ Build started: Project: Flamingos, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    E:\Flamingos\Flamingos\Flamingos.vcxproj : error MSB4014: The build stopped unexpectedly because of an internal failure. E:\Flamingos\Flamingos\Flamingos.vcxproj : error MSB4014: Microsoft.Build.Exceptions.BuildAbortedException: Build was canceled. MSBuild.exe could not be launched as a child node as it could not be found at the location "c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe". If necessary, specify the correct location in the BuildParameters, or with the MSBUILD_EXE_PATH environment variable.
    E:\Flamingos\Flamingos\Flamingos.vcxproj : error MSB4014:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.NodeManager.AttemptCreateNode(INodeProvider nodeProvider, NodeConfiguration nodeConfiguration)
    E:\Flamingos\Flamingos\Flamingos.vcxproj : error MSB4014:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.NodeManager.CreateNode(NodeConfiguration configuration, NodeAffinity nodeAffinity)
    E:\Flamingos\Flamingos\Flamingos.vcxproj : error MSB4014:    at Microsoft.Build.Execution.BuildManager.PerformSchedulingActions(IEnumerable`1 responses)
    E:\Flamingos\Flamingos\Flamingos.vcxproj : error MSB4014:    at Microsoft.Build.Execution.BuildManager.HandleNewRequest(Int32 node, BuildRequestBlocker blocker)
    E:\Flamingos\Flamingos\Flamingos.vcxproj : error MSB4014:    at Microsoft.Build.Execution.BuildManager.IssueRequestToScheduler(BuildSubmission submission, Boolean allowMainThreadBuild, BuildRequestBlocker blocker)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

The only way I can successfully build is to first close Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express, restart it, open my solution, and then try to build again.

How do I fix this?

P.S.    I'm not sure this has anything to do with it, but Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (KB2542054) fails to install every single time I try to update.  I don't know how to fix that either.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Huaysepfan87,

Thanks for your post in the MSDN Forum.

I think this issue may have something to do with VS settings. I suggest you have a try on the following ways to fix the issue:
    1->Reset all settings of Visual Studio 2010. Click Tools->Import and Export Settings, select "Reset all settings", and then click "Next ". Whether to save the current settings or not is up to you. Click "Next", select "Visual C++ Development Settings", and click "Finish" to complete the process.

2->If this does not work, attempt to run Visual Studio in safe mode. This prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable executions. If it works this time, please remove the third-party VSPackages that affect the running of programs.

3->Finally, I suggest you repairing or reinstalling the Visual Studio.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.
    Best regards,

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Monday, January 23, 2012 9:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Huaysepfan87 Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:15 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Hi Huaysepfan87,

I'd like to mark my reply as answer. If you have any questions or do not agree, you can post back and unmark it. I'll continue working with you on this issue.

Best regards,

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, January 23, 2012 9:12 AM
  • I tried repairing Visual C++ 2010 Express ENU, but I still get the build error.  In Add or Remove Programs, there is also listed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable -x86 9.0.30729.4148

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable -x86 9.0.30729.4974

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable -x86 9.0.30729.6161

Should I repair/reinstall these too?

Please help, I'm still getting the MSB4014 error.

• Edited by Huaysepfan87 Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:15 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Try removing VC Express, and .NET 4. MSBuild is part of that, so if there are any problems with MSBuild then you should be trying to fix .NET 4.

For update 2542054, if you installed VS2010 SP1 then you can't install that particular update, it would be 2565057 that you would need to install then.

This is a signature

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Proposed as answer by Helen Zhao Friday, March 02, 2012 1:41 AM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:41 AM
  • In Add or Remove Programs there are three .NET Framework 4 programs listed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack

Am I supposed to remove all three of these including VC Express, and if so how do I reinstall them?

Friday, March 23, 2012 12:28 AM
  • I think the installer has the install/repair/uninstall options.  If I remember correctly, when you reinstall, it will detect an existing version of visual studio.  The installer will then ask if you want to repair or uninstall.  Maybe thats where they were directing you.  I would not uninstall the other versions through Windows Add/Remove Programs because another software/program (other than visual studio) may be using it.

If you do use Windows Add/Remove Programs, I believe it also calles the original installer program.  You should not have to manualy unistall everything by hand though.

Good luck.

David

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:33 AM
  • I think the installer has the install/repair/uninstall options.  If I remember correctly, when you reinstall, it will detect an existing version of visual studio.  The installer will then ask if you want to repair or uninstall.  Maybe thats where they were directing you.  I would not uninstall the other versions through Windows Add/Remove Programs because another software/program (other than visual studio) may be using it.

If you do use Windows Add/Remove Programs, I believe it also calles the original installer program.  You should not have to manualy unistall everything by hand though.

Good luck.

David

This might be a dumb question, but where do I find the installer?  Also, will it allow me to repair all of .NET 4?

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Well, since you are on Windows XP, Add or Remove Programs is where you access the installer.

If you click on Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended then it should give you the Uninstall/Change option as is normal with program uninstallation. If you click this then the .NET installer will start and presents you with two options, repair or remove.

This is a signature

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Do you want Visual Studio 11 Express to be freely installable on Windows 7 and able to write regular C++ applications? Please vote for this.

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:15 PM
  • I tried repairing VC Express and .NET 4 like you suggested, and lo and behold, it let me build... ...twice.  After that, however, it will no longer let me build at all!  Someone please tell me how to fix this problem for good.  I'm desperate.
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:26 PM
  • check this thread, it talks about fix

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2298853

Monday, April 09, 2012 1:32 PM