none
Windows Cannot start, File Missing or Corrupt, \Windows\System32\Config\System

General discussion

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915092/

Article ID : 307545 This is for Windows XP Home Edition 
    Last Review : November 12, 2007
    Revision :

If you have a Os Disc, (as long as it is an NT based - Win2000 Pro, XP Home, XP Pro )

Use the recovery console and follow the proceedures outlined in the above article, You may clik and copy and\or take you to the page,    Ps,If you don't have an OS disc, it helps if you have a second PC to work from to veiw the file(s) you are trying to repair on the File damaged PC.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I've come across this problem with my computer.  I've tried everything I've found recommended, but I can't seem to get it to work.  The only steps that had started to work for me were from this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B307545

Under "Step 1", part 5 it directs me to copy and delete a list of files.  I've completed as far as deleting all the files.  When I get to the task of copying the "repair" files, I get the following response:

"The system cannot find the file specified."

While I can easily follow explicit directions, I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to PC's.  Would it be best to abandon this effort on my own and hire a techie to help me out??

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:52 AM
  •  

I had the same problem, but I figured it out.   The reason it says "The system cannot find the file specified."
    is because that file is not corrupted on your system, it is missing.  Here is what to try:  Keep typing the other lines anyway.  You will see that message anytime you type something related to system32, but I ignored the error and kept going.  My computer came right back up.  I then had the automatic help installed on a thumb drive ready to go and I ran it in safe mode.  So far, my computer is running normally after I did a system restore.  Good luck and let me know what happens.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:19 PM
  • This didn't help either.  I finished all of the "copying" and "deleting" in step 1, but in step 2 it tells me to restart in safemode, which my computer still won't do.  I continue to receive the message in the subject line.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 11:22 PM
  • I've tried the recovery console on the OS disks and still don't get anywhere.  I can't download "Guided Help", since I can't access Windows XP.

Any other suggestions?
    Monday, February 18, 2008 11:24 PM
  • This forum is for XP Embedded not XP Pro. You might want to try another forum.

-Sean

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:12 AM
  • I have XP "Home Edition" - is that the same thing?  If I'm in the incorrect forum, can you recommend the correct one?

thx
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:14 AM
  •  

Well you said ignore the problem and it will work . well i typed everything in and exited and it still didnt work .

when i type in

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

it says "The system cannot find the file specified."

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:34 PM
  •  sivad9421 wrote:

I had the same problem, but I figured it out.   The reason it says "The system cannot find the file specified."
    is because that file is not corrupted on your system, it is missing.  Here is what to try:  Keep typing the other lines anyway.  You will see that message anytime you type something related to system32, but I ignored the error and kept going.  My computer came right back up.  I then had the automatic help installed on a thumb drive ready to go and I ran it in safe mode.  So far, my computer is running normally after I did a system restore.  Good luck and let me know what happens.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:01 AM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I did try that with my computer, but it still didn't work.  I had to get a tech to backup my hard drive and then do a clean install of the operating system.  I suppose some of these solutions work on some computers and some don't!  Wink

Cheers,
    tich

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:54 PM
  • "The system cannot find the file specified."

this from another user, and it seems to work, good luck. and i'll check back. soon

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:47 PM
  • I understand the issuee of your problem. I dont know if anyone has addressed it already but I have the solution!

copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

those files need to be changed to whatever directory the CD that has windows on it. The next problem lies within. If it is a OEM (meaning from gateway, dell, sony, HP, or whatever) you do not have a windows CD unless you purchased one from the OEM manufacture. Microsoft said "
    Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives." So in the case of it being OEM, find a new copy of windows and re-write over the whole thing. Otherwise keep reading...

Change from the c:\ to whatever the CD drive is. (Most common is D:\) and then continue typing "windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system".

example:
    copy d:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

GOOD LUCK!
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:43 AM
  • Yes You can use the outlined proceedure, PROVIDED The original Windows Operating System has not been Completly deleted , erased, or altered (ie,Virus,etc....) and when you run recovery console from the root directory from the CD,

Not from the Windows Directory C://

While In DOS  mode. 

And one other note ,  You should check for the BOOT.INI file, it should read as follows :

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

for ACPI Proccessor based PC , Single, Duel, Quad core, (rdisk(0) Serial ATA/Raid disc aray

Please make a copy of this file from your Advanced Start up and recovery in system properties

on a flash or floppy disc with no other Executible (exe. exec.) files or programs on it.

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:28 PM
  • you left out the c:/ copy c:/windows system/ repair/windows system 32/bak.

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:35 PM
  •  

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

Just tried this on a friends computer.  Worked well. 

Thanks.

Sunday, June 03, 2012 3:35 PM