none
What are the entities that can be re-used in different servers, SI App, SI instance? And how?

Question

• Greetings,

What are the entities that can be re-used in different servers, SI App, SI instance? And how?

e.g. can I use a deployed IQStreamable@app1  into app2?

can I use a deployed observable/app1/siInstance1/Server1 into another query/app3/siInstance3/server2?

On the presentation titled "04 – Installing, Deploying and Maintaining the SQL Server 2008 R2 StreamInsight Runtime Engine" with file name SQL10R2UPD05-DECK-04.pptx on ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/learn/SQL2008R2TrainingKit/Presentations/SQL10R2UPD05-DECK-04/SQL10R2UPD05-DECK-04.pptx

It is mentioned one of the deployment option is "Deployment: Standalone Server"

and it mention the following:

"Use this option for the following scenarios:
    - Metadata objects need to be shared between applications
      - Event Types
      - Adapter Types
      - Query Templates
    - A data source registered with the server provides an event stream for another existing application"

Could you please provide good example that explain the above statement?

Cheers, Muhammad

Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:48 AM

Answers

• First, that statement - and those materials - refer to the "legacy" StreamInsight query/adapter model. They do not refer to how things work with the Reactive model introduced in version 2.1. Specifically, it talks about Dynamic Query Composition (DQC).

You cannot use a deployed Observable in another instance of StreamInsight. You may be able to use them across applications in the same instance - off the top of my head, I'm not sure. I'm getting ready to get on a plane but will take a look at it later. Typically, however, applications act as containers (comparable to .NET AppDomains) so I don't think that you'd be able to do this easily. That said, the code and assemblies can be reused across multiple instances/applications. You would have separate instances of the classes involved but you would be able to reuse the query logic. That's a common use case.

Can you be more specific about your use case and what you are trying to accomplish here? It's possible that there are alternative ways to do what you are trying to do.

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    Microsoft MVP - Sql Server (StreamInsight)

Ruminations of J.net

If I answered your question, please mark as answer.
    If my post was helpful, please mark as helpful.

Monday, May 26, 2014 11:13 AM