none
Every time I publish a project, it sends an email notification to task owners saying their task has changed, but it actually has not

Question

• The email notification setting is checked by default to notify a task owner if a task has been assigned or modified.  However, every time I publish the project it will send an email notification to all users who have tasks assigned to them stating that something has changed.  It will send this email no matter if something has really changed or not.  It's a problem because I might publish several times a day, but the task owners think that something has really been adjusted/modified with their task.  The email is confusing and unnecessary.  How can I resolve this?
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the easiest way is to tell your team members to change their notifications in personal settings - Manage My Alerts and Reminders. Ask them to disable "My project tasks are modified" and configure e.g. "Send me a reminder 2  Day(s) .... before my tasks start"

Or you can follow the guidance of MSProjectExperts at http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/SetDefaultEmailSubscriptions.asp. This is also applicable for Project Server 2010. Be careful, you are doing on your own risk. Microsoft does not support modifications on DB level!

Regards
    Barbara

• Proposed as answer by adrian_rho Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:33 AM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Hi sdbyrd,

this is standard behaviour for alerts that cannot be changed. Please refer to Barbara's proposal of using Reminders instead of Alerts.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Thanks Barbara.  My only issue is that the task(s) in question are not modified. However, when you publish, it sends the notification stating something has changed to those tasks assigned to a user when they really haven't.  Is this really by design?  It is very confusing to someone receiving it because they think something has truly changed.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:03 PM
  • Hi,

it is by design. If a project is modified in any way, notifications are sent regardless if task is affected by modification.

Sorry
    Barbara

Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:26 PM
  • I had opened a case with MS Support and they stated that this is not the correct behavior for Project Server.  Interesting to hear two conflicting statements, but right now you're right!
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Maybe it was solved with any CU, but I am not aware of. I know this behaviour since 2007, and still don't like it :).

But to be honest: I am not completely aware of current situation. It is a fix part in all my trainings to redefine notifications, so none of my customers is receiving mails on task or project change.

If you get the information that ist is solved in some way, please let us know!
    Thanks in adance!

Barbara

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:10 PM