Unable to create ASP.NET WEB Applications using Visual Studio C# 2010 Express.. Plz help////

Question

• Hi i m new to Microsoft Visual Studio. I tried downloading the whole visual studio express edition(which i believe is free.. right???)..i had to choose one of the options n i chose Visual C#. I cant create web applications in this. wht to do plz help..

thanks in advance..

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Asteroid09,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Visual C# 2010 Express only support following default projects templates:

·         Windows Forms Application

·         WPF Application

·         Console Application

·         Class Library

·         WPF Browser Application

·         Empty Project

If you want to use ASP.NET Web Applications, I recommend you install Visual Web Developer 2010 Express from here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express-iso

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, June 27, 2011 2:42 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 8:02 AM

All replies

• I think you need the web edition of VS Express. The C# edition is for building windows applications.

Just install the other edition and you are good to go,.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Hi Asteroid09,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Visual C# 2010 Express only support following default projects templates:

·         Windows Forms Application

·         WPF Application

·         Console Application

·         Class Library

·         WPF Browser Application

·         Empty Project

If you want to use ASP.NET Web Applications, I recommend you install Visual Web Developer 2010 Express from here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express-iso

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, June 27, 2011 2:42 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Thanks a lot Alexander and Achieva.. 

I have tried downloading Visual studio Express ISO Edition before. It gets downloaded but when i double click it (to run or install it), nero gets started n it prompts to save the software on a  cd. what to do about this? plz help. 

Also can i make C, C++ programs on this Visual Studio 2010  Express ISO Edition??

Thanks in advance,

Asteroid09

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Hi Asteroid09,

Thank you for your reply.

Is what you have downloaded the link I provide? If it is, you can extract it via some third-party tools like Winrar. If you have installed any of them, right click the ISO file and choose Extract file. After you extract ISO file, you will see all the Express Edition. If you want to make a Visual C, or C++ program, you can install Visual C++ 2010 Express under the folder “VCExpress”.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

I made mistake and I installed Visual C# Express while I need to run Web project. I know I need to install Visual Web Developer edition, but I was wondering is there another way.

I have very limited internet connection and rather slow machine at the moment thus downloading new instance of Visual Studio Express would take me a long time, then instalation would also take quite a time.

Is there a possibility to download some additinal web components to my Visual C# Express edition. That I wouldn't need to download and install whole IDE once again?

Thanks for the help

Monday, May 07, 2012 8:31 AM