Upgrading MDS from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2012 RC0 Timeout error

Question

• Hi,

I installed SQl server 2012 RC0 on my computer to demo the new MDS to a client. Intalling RC0 went all good. Now I have SQL server 2012 and SQL server 2008 R2 installed on the same machine. When trying to upgrade(Master Data Services configuration Manager)  the Master data services 2008 db to MDS 2012, it  came up with the following error:

Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.ConfigurationException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    ALTER DATABASE statement failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
       at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.DatabaseUtilities.UpgradeMasterDataServicesDatabase(SqlConnection connection, String databaseName)
       at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.Commands.UpdateMasterDataServicesDatabase.InternalProcessRecord()
       at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.Commands.ConfigurationCmdlet.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.InstanceManager.Execute(Command command)
       at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.InstanceManager.UpgradeMasterDataServicesDatabase(DatabaseServerInformation serverInformation, DatabaseInformation databaseInformation)
       at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.UI.ServerManagement.ConfigurationAdministration.UpgradeDatabase(DatabaseInformation databaseInformation)
       at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.UI.MdsDatabase.UpgradeDatabase()

I'm using a domain account and this account is member of the Sysadmin group of both sql servers.
    I can query both servers with any problems.

Can someone please help me!

Monday, February 06, 2012 1:59 PM

All replies

• Probably someone is in the database using it, so the ALTER command times out. SQL Profiler will show the ALTER command if we need to find out which command is timing out.

You can make sure everyone else is out before running the upgrade... Even your Management Studio window can cause blocking which will keep ALTER DATABASE from running - the query windows, and the object explorer - make sure to select a different DB and move the focus off of MDS catalogs/database.

SELECT S.*, R.*
    FROM sys.dm_exec_requests R
    JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions S
    ON R.session_id=S.session_id
    WHERE R.database_id=DB_ID('MDS')

Thanks, Jason

Didn't get enough help here? Submit a case with the Microsoft Customer Support team for deeper investigation - http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:09 AM