none
DTC Problems connecting from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 (Sql Server 2008)

Question

• Hi All,

I have a Windows Server 2003 ASP.NET Web Application that is using DTC against Sql Server 2008 on a Windows 2008 Server in our Test Environment which is a replica of our Production environment.   There is no firewall between the two servers in the Test environment.

I need to have them both servers do DTC over port 50000 in the Test environment before I can implement the same change in Production because there is a Firewall between the Web Server and Database Server in Production.

These are the steps I took:

1)  On both Windows Server machines I have enabled DTC as followed on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753510%28WS.10%29.aspx .

2)  I rebooted both machines and verified both DTC services running

3)  Tests doing a transaction were Successful from the ASP.NET to Sql Server 2008.  The app ran as expected and the Transaction Statics showed Activity and successful commits.

Again there is no firewall and I know RPC is port 135.  DTC is a dynamic port.  In my test environment there is not Firewall.

Here are my steps to make both servers use DTC port 50000

1)  Followed the steps on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/250367/en-us#appliesto so I ended up with the following registry settings on both Servers:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Rpc\Internet

Ports : REG_MULTI-SZ : 50000
      PortsInternetAvailable : REG_SZ : Y
      UseInternetPorts : REG_SZ : Y

2)  Rebooted both Servers. (Confirmed I did both)

3)  Tried ASP.NET Web application and Transaction Failed

4)  I see on Windows Server 2003 ASP.NET that the Transaction Statistics show 1 Aborted, and I retry several times after that.

5)  Sql Server 2008 on Windows server 2008 shows no activity with 0 in all stats.

6)  I was successful in doing a ping test from both servers to verify that they could see each other by name.

I removed both machines Registry Settings and reboot both servers.

1)   I tried the ASP.NET Web Application with success.

2)  I see activity in the Transaction Statistics on both servers.

3)  Success

I thought maybe I fat fingered the keys... I repeated the registry settings.  Again, same DTC Fail Results when trying to use Port 50000. 

Error Message is:

"The partner transaction manager has disabled its support for remote/network transactions. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D025) System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +7596735

System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type) +275"

If anybody has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Robert

There can be only one and zeros
    • Moved by VMazur Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:32 AM (From:ADO.NET Data Providers)
    Friday, January 29, 2010 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

Welcome to MSDN Forums!

I went through your post, but I don’t think the problem is related to the ADO.NET data providers.  The current question is more related to SQL Server settings.  The forum here is mainly focused on developing issues on ADO.NET v1.1 and v2.0.   I strongly recommend you post the question at the SQL Server category in TechNet forums, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/sqlserver/, for better support.   Many SQL Server experts are helping us there. 

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to tell me.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 2:44 AM