Visual C++ 2010 express edition won't open a win32 console project

Question

• All,

Sorry if I am repeating a question. I did search the forums for a solution. I'm using windows Vista 64-bit.  When I create a new project and I choose Win32 Console Application and I give it a name then click on okay I get the following open up in a new window:

Navigation to the web page was canceled.

What you can try:

Retype the address.

I also have visual Basic 2010 and visual c# express installed as well and neither has an issue opening up an console application. I have uninstalled and re-installed Visual C++ 2010 and this still happens.

I also tried to do a new Win32 project and I get the same thing as above.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas or solutions for this?

Thanks,

Hal.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Hal,

Based on my knowledge, the exception “Navigation to the web page was canceled” is referring to a known IE7 issue. Please see KB967941. If you are using IE7 and have installed security update 961260, I recommend you install the last update from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com . Upgrade to IE8 is also recommended.

If above information is not for this issue, please consider the following lists of items that we can try.

1. If we reboot the operating system to safe mode, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can apply or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also suggest “clean boot”: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353.

2. If we create a new user account, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate user profile corruption related causes.

3. If we disable Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “vcexpress.exe /safemode”, do we still have the problem? This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

4. If we create a new project rather than win32 console project, e.g. windows form application, do we have the problem?

If I misunderstand you, please let me know.

Cheers

Yi Feng Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Hal. Gindele Monday, May 24, 2010 7:34 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is related to the version of IE, and I solved a similar problem by running the below command:

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{D245F352-3F45-4516-B1E6-04608DA126CC}

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vssmartdevicesnative/thread/94c4d8c0-8643-4407-b0eb-98db5875d06e

Regards

Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I added the registry key from above and I am still getting the same thing. I also added the internet zone registry key for 1000 as well and that didn't help either. I uninstalled and reinstalled vc++ 2010 and it still didn't work. Could it be a setting in ie8? It is still odd that vb 2010 and vc# 2010 don't have any issues.

Hal.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Monday, May 24, 2010 2:25 AM
  • I have the following in my registry:

Under “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet 

Settings\Zones”, create a new key called 1000 (if it isn't already there)

Under 1000, create a DWORD entry with:

Name = 1207

Type = REG_DWORD

Data = 0x000000

And I still have the same issue listed above. Do I need to include more information on my system to try to figure this out? Should I uninstall all of the visual studio express editions I have and install vc++ first and see if that helps? Then install vb and vc# next? Just trying to get this to work correctly.

Hal.

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Hi Hal,

Based on my knowledge, the exception “Navigation to the web page was canceled” is referring to a known IE7 issue. Please see KB967941. If you are using IE7 and have installed security update 961260, I recommend you install the last update from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com . Upgrade to IE8 is also recommended.

If above information is not for this issue, please consider the following lists of items that we can try.

1. If we reboot the operating system to safe mode, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can apply or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also suggest “clean boot”: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353.

2. If we create a new user account, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate user profile corruption related causes.

3. If we disable Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “vcexpress.exe /safemode”, do we still have the problem? This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

4. If we create a new project rather than win32 console project, e.g. windows form application, do we have the problem?

If I misunderstand you, please let me know.

Cheers

Yi Feng Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Hal. Gindele Monday, May 24, 2010 7:34 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:28 AM
  • It is working now. It looks like the issue is with my profile. I created a new account and VC++ worked fine. I am using ie8. So if I need to do anything with VC++ I will use the other account. Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas.

Hal.

Monday, May 24, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the same problem as in the starting of the thread with both VC++ 08 and 10. And I've first tried creating a new user account, and my VC++ 2010 correctly loaded the win32 app wizard, so the problem seemed to be with my user profile.(right?) However, it worked for one time only. when I tried to created a new project again, the "navigation... canceled" problem came back. I just find this interesting. Any ideas how this happens? Thanks.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 1:36 AM