not recognised as an external or internal command operable program batch file

Question

• when i run my project, output window shows  c:users\kalyan\documents\visual studio2010projects\kaly\debug\kaly.exe is not recognised as an external or internall command operable program or batch file. what should be done to get my result?
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:55 AM

Answers

• To build and run your C code in Visual C++ Express 2010, do the following:

1. Create a new Empty Project. (NOT CLR Empty Project)

2. Right-click on the Source Files folder in Solution, then select Add->New Item...

3. In the New Item dialog, select C++ File and name it with a .c extension. The file will open automatically in the source editor.

4. Paste your C program code into the editor, then Build and run your program.

• Marked as answer by kalyanchakri Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:30 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 10:02 PM

All replies

• What happens if you navigate to C:\users\kalyan\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\kaly\debug in Windows Explorer?

Do you find the file kaly.exe? If you do not find the file, did you build your project successfully?

If you do find kaly.exe, please double click on it in Windows Explorer. What happens?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:15 PM

• Hi kalyanchakri,

As far as I know, Windows has user-specific environmental variables and universal environmental variables that affect all users. If we install applications, the variables may be changed. If you have installed some software, I suggest you do to Start->Control Pane->System->Advanced->Environmental Variables, and then check user and system variable. If the variables have been changed, you should try to make changes to get them the same as before.

From the Windows NT Command Prompt, when you try to run a file or change to a directory whose name contains one of these characters: &amp; ( ) ^ ; | , or <space>, then you may receive error message like this: the name specified is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. To fix the issue, please refer to the article in Microsoft Support: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/103368.

I hope this reply is helpful to you. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.
    Best regards,

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by Helen Zhao Friday, February 17, 2012 2:37 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Iam new to vc++. I had c code with me and i want to execute in vc ++ 2010. can u please guide me in doing this step wise?

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:15 PM
  • To build and run your C code in Visual C++ Express 2010, do the following:

1. Create a new Empty Project. (NOT CLR Empty Project)

2. Right-click on the Source Files folder in Solution, then select Add->New Item...

3. In the New Item dialog, select C++ File and name it with a .c extension. The file will open automatically in the source editor.

4. Paste your C program code into the editor, then Build and run your program.

• Marked as answer by kalyanchakri Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:30 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 10:02 PM
  • thank you, at last i succeed in build. but when i run it it says assertion failure. i had a n input file which is txt file. for my c code it is compulsory. how to add it to source file? it should appear as .txt in source file.
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:41 AM
  • To help you with problems in your code, we need to see the code.

Post the program code here using the Insert Code tool on the message toolbar (left of the Insert Image tool), or if it is too big, upload the source code to a public site like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Normally, data files are not added to a project, but referenced by path in the application code.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:47 PM