What does this icon mean???

Question

• So I've got an ASP.NET that's under sourcesafe 6.0 control and some of the files show an icon of a circle with a slash through it.  So I do a search on icons in the on-line help and nothing comes up.  I can right click and I get all of the regular ss options: Get Latest Version, Check Out, etc. and they seem to be working.  However, I'm getting some compile errors in the project that are looking for missing classes.

Anyone know what this icon means? 
    Friday, August 05, 2005 12:23 AM

Answers

• I took a look at VSS and found the little blue circle with a line from top left to bottom right. (I assume that's the icon you're referring to.) It indicates that another user has exclusively checked out the file and it's not available for editing. So that in itself isn't a big deal. You can load up VSS Explorer and see who has the files checked out.

I suspect that your problem is originating from someone doing a partial checkin or checking in files without first doing a Get Latest and testing. Basically what is in VSS is not in a compilable state. You can verify this by fetching the contents of VSS to a new location and trying to build. If it fails, you'll have to resolve the problems and check in the modifications.

This is where a continuous integration system like Visual Studio Team System or CruiseControl.NET helps. It builds and tests the system on virtually every check-in thus ensuring the help of the source code in your repository.

Friday, August 05, 2005 10:39 PM

All replies

• If I recall correctly, the circle with a slash indicates a file that is in the project, but is not on the file system. This can be caused by getting latest on the project, but not recursively getting files and folders. Try Get Latest at the project or solution level and select recursive.
    Friday, August 05, 2005 6:18 AM

• It could be that the file was excluded from source control at some point. I'd need a bit more information to be sure

Which version of Visual Studio are you using?
    What is the file extension of this files that shows that icon?
    What color is the icon?
    If you do an Open from source control on a different local folder, do you still get the compile errors?

Thanks,
    Friday, August 05, 2005 9:41 PM
  • I took a look at VSS and found the little blue circle with a line from top left to bottom right. (I assume that's the icon you're referring to.) It indicates that another user has exclusively checked out the file and it's not available for editing. So that in itself isn't a big deal. You can load up VSS Explorer and see who has the files checked out.

I suspect that your problem is originating from someone doing a partial checkin or checking in files without first doing a Get Latest and testing. Basically what is in VSS is not in a compilable state. You can verify this by fetching the contents of VSS to a new location and trying to build. If it fails, you'll have to resolve the problems and check in the modifications.

This is where a continuous integration system like Visual Studio Team System or CruiseControl.NET helps. It builds and tests the system on virtually every check-in thus ensuring the help of the source code in your repository.

Friday, August 05, 2005 10:39 PM