none
Windows Server 2012 Backup for SQL Databases

Question

• Hi, I cant seem to find a good answer on this. I have SQL Server 2012 running on Server 2012. Can I use the built in Windows Server 2012 Backup to backup the SQL databases? The technet articles state that Windows Backup is SQL application aware but want to make sure. Backing up using Windows Backup is a simpler option for us.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would recommend you to use SQL Server native backup instead. Maybe you are considering how it will make things easier to use Windows Server Backup, but before implementing this method I suggest you to test the restore process (restoring to a point in time, restore a full backup, restore a database to different database server). I am sure the restore tests will let you know SQL Server backups are better and easier to restore.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would recommend you to use SQL Server native backup instead. Maybe you are considering how it will make things easier to use Windows Server Backup, but before implementing this method I suggest you to test the restore process (restoring to a point in time, restore a full backup, restore a database to different database server). I am sure the restore tests will let you know SQL Server backups are better and easier to restore.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Thanks Albert, I have created a Maintenance Task in SQL Server Management studio to backup daily, then using Windows Server backup to backup the SQL database backups.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:00 PM